Only 5 programs can connect to the Internet on my desktop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sagapo3851

The ones that can connect are Firefox, AIM, iTunes, Spyware Terminator, and Norton Systemworks.
The Windows Firewall is disabled on here, and I tried futzing with the Norton Firewall, but I couldn't even find the settings for that.. I have Norton Systemworks 2006 Premier. I also have Spyware Terminator, which may be it, but I highly doubt it.
Any ideas?
I can't stream videos through QuickTime or Windows Media Player.
I have 3 other browsers (Chrome, Safari, IE) and none of them can connect either.
I tried downloading a Verizon program to let me play my iTunes music on my TV, but when it tried to connect for installation, it failed.
I tried updating my Windows Installer version from the Microsoft website to remedy the above, but that installer couldn't connect either.
And now I tried to update my Flash Player in FF, and it failed (because the installer couldn't connect to the internet), and I can't even use the Yahoo Mail Chat, because it's Flash.

I posted this on Yahoo Answers, and they led me here. So I hope you guys can help!
Thanks

We don't have enough information to offer much help or suggestions... so start with a brief discription of your hardware, and age of components... along with the key programs and security software installed, then give us a separate brief description of how the problems started... with what device and what internet service are you attempting to connect.

I think you're best to start in the malware forum
> Make sure malware isn't part of the problem
> I'm not even sure what anit-malware norton system works provides (which might be why you can't find its firewall?) In any case, the malware experts will give you better answers and recommendations

Start here for Virus/Malware removal Instructions Attach your logs for review in Malware removal forum

Update

This is a really delayed reply. But I wanted reply to try to get this fixed so I can have a normal computer again!

I'm running Windows XP (5.1, Build 2600) SP3 on a 5+ (don't remember exactly) year old Dell E310 desktop
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.8GHz
502MB RAM, used to have 1Gb but one of the chips got fried along with my old hard drive
250 Gb Hard Drive, this is only 2 years old, purchased after the other one got fried

I have Verizon FiOS. Connected to the router via Ethernet Cable. I've tried switching cables, but that did nothing.

Major Programs:
Microsoft Office Professional 03 (Word, Powerpoint, Excel, Publisher, Outlook, Access, Photo Editor, Media Player, IE, etc)
Mozilla Firefox
Google Chrome
Safari
iTunes
BitTorrent
AIM
Adobe Photoshop
Adobe Illustrator
Norton Systemworks 2006
Spyware Terminator
(I've run both Norton and ST full system scans, and they come back clean every time)

Alright, now onto the issue:
When I posted this topic, 5 programs could connect. Well, it's deteriorated even more. Now only Firefox, Norton, and BitTorrent can connect to the internet. None of the other browsers can (IE, Chrome, Safari), nor can iTunes (can't access the store, update Genius, get album artwork), Quicktime player, and MediaPlayer. I've tried all three of those players, and none of them can stream video from online. I have to download anything if I want to watch it. Windows Messenger and AIM can't connect. Even with BitTorrent there's a problem. It tells me there's a new version out, and asks if I'd like to download it. I click 'yes' and it loads for a bit, then tells me there was an issue and it can't connect. BUT, it can upload and download things.

There are 3 accounts on this computer. One is my brother's, one mine, and one my sister's.
My brother's is fine, he says everything he's used connects perfectly
Mine only connects for those three
And my sister's doesn't connect at all. Firefox can't even connect.

As I mentioned, I have FiOS. Verizon offers a program you can download off of their website that lets you play your iTunes from your TV. I downloaded the Binary File from them and tried to install, but it just couldn't connect to the internet! I was on the phone with their tech support people for an hour and a half and they couldn't figure it out either, even with the live help thing where somebody there takes control of your computer temporarily.

So, I would REALLY appreciate it if you guys could help me out here. If there's any other information that anybody needs, I'd be more than happy to give it.
Thanks,
Chris

I agree with Looking Around that you might need to be in the Malware forum...

Big question: How did the old hard drive become fried?

There are some trials that could be helpful... the E310 can be a good machine... but needs to be redirected... and it likes more memory than you have installed.

The first thing I would do is upgrade the memory to at last 1 GB, preferably the 2 GB... unless that slot is really badly damaged.... I new module should work.

Remove the Norton System works... use a Registry editor to really get it all.. Also, remove Bit Torrent, and save it, then install the free versions of either Avast or Avira, MS Essentials,

Then reboot and defrag, then run your windows disk in R For repair mode... not Restore mode.
The respair install with some of that other stuff gone, should bring back some life... but not worth doing until you change the memory configuration.

This will repiace Windows without damaging the other installs, but Norton System Works has to go... use the free Avast or Avira, with Microsoft Security Essentials, MalwareBytes and Super Antispyware.

Take off either Chrome or Safari and reinstall the keeper

What versions of Photoshop and Illustrator do you have. They should not be contributing to the problem

I have the computer plugged into a Surge Protector/ Power Strip and my dad made it a habit to walk in when nobody was on it and shut off the switch on the power strip. And waaay too many times of that happening fried our hard drive and one of the ram chips

Didn't know there was a way to repair/reinstall windows without losing everything on the drive. I will definitely try that out this weekend when I have some more time and see what happens. Thanks for the tip

If you tell us which Install disk you have, we can help you get through it.
It would be nice to have a full description of the situation.
Normally, neither hard drives nor memory get "fried" by the actions you describe... softare can be damaged badly enough to require a repair install or a full install, but not "fried" by my definition.
Who examined your memory module to veryify it was bad?
Tell us the memory and the hard drive you now have.
How old are you. How old is your dad?
Perhaps we can give him a little online training about what happens with suddent shutdowns.

Any P2P program is a suspect for malware infections when situations like this arise.

Given that other accounts on this machine work correctly, that also point to malware.

Downloads via any torrent can be dangerous, so you really do "have to look those gift horses in the mouth", so to speak.

Raybay, what do you mean which Install disk do I have?
The RAM chip was no longer recognized, and had physical burn marks on it. And the hard drive was beyond repair.. my brother and I tried everything in our power to revive it, and even gave it to a friend of mine, who's dad owns a computer repair company, and he couldn't do anything with it either.

I'm nearly 17, my dad is fifty-something and fairly technologically ignorant haha we've told him enough times to stop with the shutting it off that way

I got a new hard drive from Newegg, and the receipt says: "HD 250G: SEAGATE 7K 8M ST32" and that was on 8/27/2009. My RAM is one of the two that originally came with the computer (I think it's a 512mb, DDR2 PC2-5300 chip. I think.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back