Creating a disk diagnostic CD

Two of those utilities have a CD image (.iso) file that you can download and burn to a CD. You need to burn the ISO file as an image, not just burn it as part of a data CD.

You can then boot the PC with that CD and run your tests.

Two of those utilities have a CD image (.iso) file that you can download and burn to a CD. You need to burn the ISO file as an image, not just burn it as part of a data CD.

You can then boot the PC with that CD and run your tests.

I did that but it did little seems to be nothing happening.

I think maybe you need the dos disc to which seems odd.

burn the image file with ImgBurn and make your optical drive first in the boot order.

I used Sonics burn image to disc option.

It did boot from the optical drive, that is the default order on a PC I believe anyway.

Not sure how to change the order (or check it) but I don't think I need to.

When it boots up it does mentions FD 1.44 IIRC, so it seems to mention the floppy drive?

Seems peculiar.

But this is what it says on the link:-

Downloads
To run the DFT, you must download the appropriate creator or image and create a self-booting media.

You may create the media under Windows (using the Windows OS version) or Linux (using the binary image), but you must start your system with the DOS-bootable diskette to run DFT.

Drive Fitness Test User's Guide (426 K)

Guide to using DFT Diskette creator for Windows OS (2,130 K)

Creates self-booting media to run DFT | Read Me | Having trouble creating the bootable diskette?

Binary diskette image for non-Windows OS (1,440 K)

Creates self-booting media to run DFT | Read Me

CD image (2,720 K)

Creates bootable CD for Linux, Windows and other operating systems ( requires CD-RW drive and software).

Notes

SO it seems I need the 1,44 dos drive which I do not have.

Although I could get one cheap on ebay but it seems a lot of trouble to run a piece of software!!

I've never seen a drive diagnostic that required both a CD and a floppy to run. It looks to be like it's one or the other. If you're still having issues with it, you may want to try creating a DOS boot CD and adding the files needed for the drive diagnostic to the CD so you can run them after the CD boots to DOS.

I've never seen a drive diagnostic that required both a CD and a floppy to run. It looks to be like it's one or the other. If you're still having issues with it, you may want to try creating a DOS boot CD and adding the files needed for the drive diagnostic to the CD so you can run them after the CD boots to DOS.

Could you tel me how to create a Dos Boot CD please?

Anyway it seem silly the software dos not need to know on what media it is on.

OK I can make one here.

I will give it a go.

http://www.bootdisks.us/ms-dos/5/ms-dos-bootable-cd-images.html

OK This is the autoexec from the ISO.

@ECHO OFF
PATH=A:\DOS;A:\DFT;A:\;
KEYB US,,A:\DOS\KEYBOARD.SYS
MOUSE /Z

ECHO Loading DFT ...
cd DFT
LOADDFT.EXE DFT-V300.EXE DFT.EXE /!BLOB /PSR >NUL

That might enable you to help me.

One thing which occurs to me that my DVD is E:

!!

OK I have kind of given up on the idea of the drive fitness test.
I mean my computer has been running fine for many years on that drive so clearly it has no problem.

The problem is with chkdsk or else where.

I did make a dos boot disk and it booted, but I could not read the DFT disk when I put it in the DVD player, kept saying problem reading drive A, abort retry fail etc...
So not much I can do there really anyway.

WHen I do boot from the DFT disk it says

FD 1.44 MBSystem type (0 0)

Starting PC dos....

And then nothing much happens, the hard drive light is on so it may be doing something
but I do not fancy waiting and unspecified amount of time for something to happen, or maybe just wait forever.

The problem is with windows and chkdsk so I will start another thread.

Seems you have two topics regarding the same issue. Check disc failure is a sure sign of a failing drive. I don't believe you are burning the image properly. Check your other post for the link to a diagnostics test for your hard drive. As stated, if your hdd manufacturer doesn't have a tool then use Seatools. Use ImgBurn as stated in the answer above. I never heard of Sonic being able to burn ISO images. I may be wrong though.

Edit: Apparently Sonic does have iso image burning capabilities. I would still use ImgBurn however. Somewhere something isn't being done properly with Sonic. Otherwise you would be able to boot from the disc.

Edit #2: I visited the link in your other post for the Ftool. You cannot use that image on a cd disc. It is specifically for a floppy. The reason it't not offered in an iso for cd disc is probably related to the age of the tool. It was created for windows me - Xp. With all due respect, make this easy on yourself and those helping you or attempting to help. Download the Seatools DOS iso and ImgBurn. Burn the iso to a disc and boot. Choose the long test not the short test. If there is a chance of repairing the bad sectors you fair better with the long test. Even if your hdd passes the test, which I hope it does, Seatools is a handy little tool to have around.

Seems you have two topics regarding the same issue. Check disc failure is a sure sign of a failing drive. I don't believe you are burning the image properly. Check your other post for the link to a diagnostics test for your hard drive. As stated, if your hdd manufacturer doesn't have a tool then use Seatools. Use ImgBurn as stated in the answer above. I never heard of Sonic being able to burn ISO images. I may be wrong though.

Edit: Apparently Sonic does have iso image burning capabilities. I would still use ImgBurn however. Somewhere something isn't being done properly with Sonic. Otherwise you would be able to boot from the disc.

Edit #2: I visited the link in your other post for the Ftool. You cannot use that image on a cd disc. It is specifically for a floppy. The reason it't not offered in an iso for cd disc is probably related to the age of the tool. It was created for windows me - Xp. With all due respect, make this easy on yourself and those helping you or attempting to help. Download the Seatools DOS iso and ImgBurn. Burn the iso to a disc and boot. Choose the long test not the short test. If there is a chance of repairing the bad sectors you fair better with the long test. Even if your hdd passes the test, which I hope it does, Seatools is a handy little tool to have around.

No chkdsk can just mean a reboot occured before the 'write successfully completed' bit was written.

Thanks I will try the seagate stuff but I will try a chkdsk overnight to see it it clears the problem first. That;s the easiest option I think.

WiIl try the seagate thing anyway as it may clear the chkdsk problem I always seem to have had without any other issues

I have been able to defrag OK before, but I cleared all my temporary internet files first
to speed it up which may have helped remove a bad file.

Basically only a reboot doing software installation is likely to be a big problem, specifically on system files.
Losing a bit of HTML or java is not going to be a big issue.

Are you running chkdsk or chkdsk /r ?

chkdsk without the /r.

Do you *seriously* think I am going to allow a program which does not even work to modify my hard drive?

Not it I can help it!!

How can anyone trust such a badly written an hence dangerous program?

You have to admit that if chkdsk did not work then running chkdsk /r is dangerous to say the least!!

Back