Monitor turns black and doesn't load before XP loading screen

E

eric97861

Hi Guys, I need some help here. My PC is screwed. After reading a bunch of loading screen problems I saw that all of them were problems that occurred after the XP loading screen happens. But, after around yesterday night I got up and used the computer, and when I was done I put the computer into standby mode and went back to bed. A few hours later I woke up, and still a bit sleepy I got up, turned my computer back on and held the Power Button until it shut down, all of which I did not turn on my monitor or move anything; I was sleepy. Then, today when I started my computer, the computer booted up as usual, and I saw my ASUS loading screen, and the the flashing _'s that happens when my computer loads when I start it up. But then, it just goes blank. I tried restarting the computer and try again, with the power button turn off, which just turns off when I press it, unlike when my computer is acting normally, which takes a few seconds. Can anyone help me? I just hope my hard drive isn't fried or anything. Thanks!

Could you explain this again please"?
"turned my computer back on and held the Power Button until it shut down, all of which I did not turn on my monitor or move anything"

Do you mean you pressed the power once then held it for 4 seconds? Do you normally turn your system OFF this way instead of using Start /Shut Down?

Sounds like this is a desktop, recommended practice is to turn the monitor ON then the system, after use, turn the system OFF then the monitor.

Standby, Suspend to RAM and Hibernation where windows is concerned, do not always work and are highly hardware and setup dependant.

Sorry about that, i'll explain it agian. I dont normally use the power-button turn off, but i was sleepy and used it. The next day I opened it agian, the monitor was doing fine, with the ASUS page with the 'Press DEL to go to Setup' and all that, and then after the _'s the screen goes black, and my XP loading screen doesn't come on. I don't think it's a monitor problem there. Sorry about that.

Not a problem eric97861m.

Let's try Safe Mode, after Asus "greetings" press the F8 and select Safe Mode, and then select your OS if asked.

Trying to see if it is resolution related, since you don't say it keeps cycling or turning OFF.

Then since you don't see the Welcome screen or your account doesn't initialize, we have to assume possibility of infection and /or corruption with "Winlogon" if you see a blue screen (Not BSOD) but not your Desktop, it means "userinit" doesn't load which again could be infection or corruption.

Let's try Safe Mode and we will get you to scan the drive for errors and do this step by step.

All of a sudden I have increased calls, if I don't reply fast; I hope one of our good members jumps in.

Meanwhile, please provide as much information about your system, including Video card and power supply make and model.

Alright, i tried what you said. I pressed F8, and guess what. There was no 'Safe Mode' Function on the list, Only 2 choices. A CDROM boot or a HDD boot. I tried both, and the same thing happened. I did not see a blue screen at all...so we can cross that out. I'll give you my computer details now (try not to laugh)

AMD A64X2 4200+ Dual Core
Asus M2M-MX SE motherboard
2G DDR2 667 RAM
160G HDD
LG 20X DVD RW
EVGA 8400GS video card

My computer is crappy, and I can't afford a new one, because I don't have a job, nor can I apply for one because I'm underage....sigh....I just hope it's and infection instead of anything in my computer that's fried.

I'm posting from a PIII 1GHz 133MHz FSB, 512MB PC133, 40GB 7200 PATA HDD, no optical drive but a 20GB PATA and a 200GB SATA through USB, XP Pro Sp3, every thing is so up-to-date it makes me feel I'm running in the future ... software wise of course ... use this to run scans on hard drives, email, researching ... down stairs, I still have a barton, 2600.

My 12year old has a faster system than all mine put together!

OK, let's try the F8 again, put your fingers on F8 and as soon as the system starts, press it every second. If you get a boot menu select your hard drive and see if you see anything about Safe Mode. Some boards do show boot menu first then the options.

Might help if you press F8 RIGHT after you select HDD boot.

If that fails again, Reset the CMOS as per your motherboard's manual or remove the battery for as long as a beer run takes at least, when you do this, turn the power supply OFF or unplug it from the wall and disconnect anything that has any electrons moving in them as in Ethernet cable connected to a router, monitor cable, powered USB input devices and such, then try the F8 again, need this to move on.

Edit:
Didn't read the underage part, forget about :beer run" mention, I meant Milk, juice or Soda :)

Alright, I did what you said and the screen did come up, with all the options, including the Safe Mode. There's 3 different safe modes though, should I just use the regular safe-mode?

Yes, any safe mode to rule out video settings and such

Don't use last good known or others just yet

Alright, I tried all 3 different safe-modes, but all of them stopped after a list of files, which all starts out as.

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\__________

The list had 14 of them before it stopped, and it hasn't resumed since. Any other options?

Are you talking about Operating System selection?

It shouldn't be more than one or in case of multi boot more, but 14?

Any way, I guess I will wait here this time as it seems you need instruction with each prompt. Always good thing to ask.

Select the first one and see what happens, looks like we are goign to ensure hardware is OK and up to date then have you do a fresh install, I don't believe you are hanging on Windows loading in safe mode rather than selection of Windows installation to load in Safe Mode.

This is normal but having 14 different OSes on the list is a sign of installations over exsisting installation or failed attempt of multibooting, in any case, the Windows directory is not same and with some install programs and cleaners the %windir% might not work and cause additional unknown problems.

Get your tool box ready, we might need some parts to test the board with, as in Video card, RAM and such

For now lets see if one of them Windows load

Great, i have to disassemble my computer :) I chose safe-mode, but it didn't load, only the file names came up. So, what do I do now?

Do you need any data from your drive, as in pictures, resume and what not?

Can you download UBUNTU 64bit ISO or hirens boot CD, we can use either or to test your hardware without removing any parts.

I forgot I was on this thread, we don't need vid card and all you have basic input out put, we can test your hardware with the Hiren's Boot CD (download ISO and burn on to a CD-R) we can even try and repair drive errors but once you said 14 entries in the OS selection part, made me feel a fresh install at this point is the best route.

Oh no, not the OS selection part. The 14 file names came up after I used Safe-Mode, so that counts as selecting.........Though I would rather not disassemble my computer, I'm never good at puzzles. My computer is a shared computer, and I think there might be some Invoices I need to save. So, If I download the CD and install the whole thing again, will I lose all of the data?

Edit- I also need to find another computer that can burn CD's, I'm using a laptop right now :D
Double Edit- Searched it up, USB works?

Again, no need to disasseble, I was thinking about another system.

The USB version works too. You can hang on on that as well for now.

Do you have the XP CD used to install on this notebook, if yes, explain the CD the best you can, Service Pack level etc...

Need to make sure we are talking about the same screen, let me see if I can provide images, will not be for another 30 to 60 minutes.

actually, I didn't download yet. I'll do that with the USB for now. Ubuntu 64 bit ISO one, right?

The CD I only have for the computer that's screwd, I'll try to find it.

Might have to take a bit longer. Have to do chores. Sorry.

You talking bout the third picture as in safemode3.jpg right? In that case, sorry my fault, my brain somehow jumped to boot.ini and location of windows installations to load.

We might be able to fix this by checking for drive and file system errors infections and such, hiren's boot CD would be best, they do have a USB version too but it has to be bootable, I will try and find the link.

Tight for time, hang in there.

Edit:

Same here got many things to take care of mainly my Jetta with broken ignition wire from the Coil to the Distributer, with junk yards closing any time

Attachments

• safemode1.jpg
    safemode1.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 4
  • safemode2.jpg
    safemode2.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 4
  • safemode3.jpg
    safemode3.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 5
yes, it is the picture in your 3rd picture. though I think the file's endings are different. I'll get the Hiren's USB now. It still might take longer too, i'm busy. Sorry again.

Edit- Can you give me the link too? I can't find the right one. sorry!
Double Edit- Doing this will delete my data, right? Is there anyway to save some of the data? My mom has some invoices in there she'll rather keep than lose. Sorry.

The ending being different is OK since that screen shot is from another system.
I like to know the last line on your screen where it stops, the first part I don't need as in:

"multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS" Start from Windows and write the whole line to the end. Only the last line.

No data will be lost, have a USB drive handy so we can grab what is important.
I will do an edit with the link.

alright, the last line is

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\isapnp.sys

ok, i just need the link. Thanks

Ouch, signs of infection!

I will post the link ASAP, see if there is any way you can download the ISO and burn it on a friend's or someone's system if at all possible

EDIT:

Go here and be very careful, don't click on any Recommended Download or Download Now not on this or any other site ever. Scroll all the way down and click on + Direct HTTP Mirror + Torrent + Torrent Magnet , I would just use the Direct HTTP Mirror, this is above the Window you select older versions, keep this in mind since Hiren's BootCD From USB Flash Drive (USB Pen Drive mentions 9.7, I would think the latest version 11 would work but I am not the guy who wrote the instructions, you can kinda figure it out from the files he asks to copy, if they are not there then 9.7 should work for sure.

I'll try. I'm going to use the USB version though, is it okay?

edit- I'll have to do that later, i've got to take a shower and eat dinner. Living here in Vancouver is 3 hours behind. I'm sorry. You can post the link though, i'll get to it as soon as I can. sorry!

Not a problem, you get to it when you can, I don't mind, most sites I post and the reply is in hours or days at times.

We will have to remove some files from your C:\ drive and get your windows working then do some more cleaning.

The link is on page 1, I didn't see this so I edited my last post.

Bon appétit!

Alright, I'm downloading now. So, after do I just use it on my screwd computer? As in using the USB drive, of course.

Yes, with fingers crossed that it boots then you select "Mini Windows XP" and the mini XP included with hiren loads in to memory giving us access to your hard drive, then we delete a few files, run some cleaning tools, scan your C drive for errors and all the rest of the goodies :)

I have a question. Once i download the file, save it on my USB and use it on my screwd computer, since I can't click anything like 'load', will the file start by itself? Because i'm downloading from a laptop and transferring it to a CD.

Sorry, but I have to go to sleep now. It's almost 11PM and i'm getting tired. I need some sleep before I (hopefully) finish everything. Sorry about this.

Back