No display after installing new video card

steve mcqueen

I recently purchased an xfx HD 5770 video card to replace my old ATI 3870.
Old card was overheated and doesn't work properly, but i can operate in safe mode on it.
When i put the new video card in, i turn on the computer and i get no display.
I've tried with both of my monitors, and neither gets any sort of display at all.
The fan runs on the card, so i don't think its dead. I also have another 5770 that they sent me on accident, so i figured i would try that one out too, and i get the same blank screen.
Also, with the new video card in, when i turn on the computer i've noticed i can't open the disk drive.

Also these
2ldvseh.jpg

Little LED's on the mobo that display all sorts of letters and numbers, i wish i could explain them better, BUT when the computer is working properly they display FF.
When i put the new video card in, it cycles between
24-46-90-CO
really fast, the cycle continues until i turn off the computer.
I don't know if that is of any use, but i figured i'd include it anyways.

I've been forum hopping for the past 2 hours and i can't find anything that has helped.

I've uninstalled all of the old drivers, i've put in a new power supply to ensure that i was getting enough juice for the card, i'm probably forgetting other things i've tried which i know is not the greatest thing to do when looking for help on a forum.

My System:
nForce 590 motherboard
amd 3ghz 6000+ cpu
ultra 650w psu
2 gigs of ddr2 800mhz of ram
windows xp

I know about those LEDs on the mobo, mine has them as well (cept mine says AA when all's good).

You should check your mobo manual to see what those codes mean.

Also, the 5770 needs another 6-lead (I think) power plugged in. Just check if that's on properly.

I agree CMH about checking to see what the codes mean. Did you try using the graphics card in a different slot? If you have two PCI slots available(sorry i didn't look at the picture to long) try running both of them at the same time. If all else fails RMA one, keep the other for another rig for a later time, and check for another compatible graphics card for that particular mobo.

i tried to run the video card in the 2nd slot, and it said something about putting the card in the other slot, because that was reserved for sli only.
i tried to run both of them and i still got no display.

when i am home tomorrow ill try and find the motherboard manual and see what i can find.

I've not tried SLi or crossfire but just wondering if there is an option to enable/disable SLi in the motherboards bios, since if its enabled it might not like ATI cards (which use crossfire, not SLi), even when only 1 is plugged in...

crossfire and sli are the same technology, just different names.

An "SLi" compatible board won't necessarily be "Crossfire" compatible. They are technologies from two different companies which basically do the same job. I believe initially only motherboards with Nvidia chipsets supported SLi and only ones with AMD chipsets supported crossfire. I have read that modified drivers can enable one technology on a board that supports the other, but officially only some of the newer Intel chipsets(X58/P55) support both.

As I already admitted I haven't tried to SLi Nvidia cards or Crossfire ATi ones, but was curious as to whether there were bios settings related to them that could be a possible cause to the board not accepting the card. It's a stab in the dark but other than finding the information about what the LED display values mean it seemed to be stab in the dark time :D Sorry if I wasted any of your time.

Since you were going ATi to ATi I guess this is very unlikely to be part of the problem. Hope you get it sorted out.

If you can find out which manufacturer and model ofnForce 590 board you have the manual should provide the details of the LED info it's displaying.

Apperently there is a LOT of problems between the new 5000 series from ati and older motherboards.

Some major compatibility issues that i guess ATI didn't notice, or feel like it was necessary to tell people.
Looks like i'll have to buy a new MOBO, thanks everyone for your help though!

This is the second time I've heard about compatibility problems with ATI.

I'd appreciate it if you can post a link, because I can't seem to find any.

Back