Random freezes, few but some BSOD, Win 7 X64 new PC

00firebird

For more background please see thread on asus motherboard forums for more detailed information if I forgot to post something. http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...d=1&model=P7P55D-E+PRO&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

In short, I was getting random freezes, no restarting and no BSODs. It wasnt until about 3 weeks into the random freezes I started to get BSOD. I only have two so far. This might be good because it actually gives me some tangible evidence now. Generally it would happen from anything as small as only running internet explorer with nothing else open, and freezing while scrolling through or clicking a link. Not always processing intensive tasks. It indeed does seem completely random, so possibly RAM? it is corsair although I guess it could have just as much problem as any other brand. Also I have reinstalled GPU drivers 3 different times, with no change.

Specs:
Intel I5-750
Asus P7P55D-E PRO
Corsair Dominator 4gb (2x2gb, 1333mhz, 1.5V) tw3x4g1333cd9
Corsair 750TX PSU
EVGA GTS 250
WD Caviar Black 1TB WD1002FAEX
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit

from ibuypower, under full warranty, less than 2 months old. I went through the painstaking research of researching every single part I put into the computer and chose them with reliability at the expense of a heftier price. guess that was a waste of time. Temps are stable and dust is minimal as it is brand new.
asusprobe.jpg

I also have a file at C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP it is 384 MB however. not sure if that is of any use. also another note, once the computer restarts from the BSOD, windows gives me the pop up then says click here to investigate (paraphrasing) so I do click, and it just closes and does nothing.
first file 09/04
2nd file 09/09.
the computer is not so unstable that I cannot put up with the problem, as you see there is usually a couple days between freezes. however I want to know why, and it is still warrantied.

EDIT: had to zip files, because of 200kb file limit.

microsoft popup log after restart:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 50
BCP1: FFFFFA8046E5DE38
BCP2: 0000000000000000
BCP3: FFFFF88000E46C71
BCP4: 0000000000000005
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\090410-15990-01.dmp
C:\Users\Phil\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-27721-0.sysdata.xml

The SECOND has the following differences:

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 50
BCP1: FFFFFFFFFFFFFF85
BCP2: 0000000000000001
BCP3: FFFFF88004463463
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

C:\Windows\Minidump\090910-17019-01.dmp
C:\Users\Phil\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-29203-0.sysdata.xml

also, if I try to browse to C:\Users\Phil\AppData\Local\Temp it does not exist?
Thank you all in advance.

Attachments

• BSOD.zip
    47.6 KB · Views: 2
Memory corruption. Run Memtest on your RAM.

See the link below and follow the instructions. There is a newer version than what is listed; use the newer. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Step1 - Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes; the more Passes after 7 so much the better. The only exception is if you start getting errors before 7 Passes then you can skip to Step 2.

There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Step 2 – Because of errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

Link: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

* Get back to us with the results.

*** If Memtest shows no errors then find the voltage specs of your RAM and compare it to the voltage setting in your BIOS. Do they match?

*** Also, since this is still under warrenty I would contact iPower and have them fix it. Tell them the error code is 0x50 and the minidump file cited memory corruption as the issue.

well heres what happened, the first 12 or so passes showed nothing.. it was about 15 hours in? I walked away and let it continue to run... I came back about 5 hours later and the computer was sitting at the desktop. Does this mean it threw errors and restarted itself? If it did I don't know what they were. How can i check? Also, i changed the auto voltage on the ram (it was about 1.552 and variable), I changed it to a manual 1.500. Not sure if that really made any difference, as the differences were negligible. Again i'm wondering how i can check the memtest log.. hopefully theres a way.

Incremental changes for memory voltage can make a significant difference. We see it here many times. often it isn't bad RAM but incorrect voltage settings. Good move on your part.

As for a memtest log I have never come across one.

any reason it would load up windows to the desktop? would that be under error conditions? I was out of the house so, it is also possible a brown-out could have caused the restart.

also does anyone recommend changing voltages for Vcore, IMC, CPU PPL, PCH.. etc? It seems like a constant stable voltage would make more sense but i'm no expert. my vcore seems to go from 0.86 to 1.23 quite frequently.

edit edit: Just had another freeze up during video playback. not fixed yet. will run memtest another 12+ hours.

well here is another round of scans, see anything that sticks out ? Im not positive but it seems odd the ram setting says 668 MHz when they are 1333 sticks. notice anything else off?
looks like im at a dead end once again. i even ran both at the same time trying to induce more of a problem.
100_8412.jpg

Nothing out of the ordinary except you are correct in that it is only showing your sticks at 668 MHz. According to Asus your motherboard should have your memory set at 1333. Can you change this in your BIOS?

ps2 keyboard is now failing to take me into the bios, sits there and continues to load no matter how many times i press DEL. such a pita. is there anything else i can do while i try to figure out the mhz setting, and do you think that would cause it to crash too? or does it only give "worse performance"

Try resetting the BIOS, your motherboard manual should have info about the procedure to do so, may be that enables you to get in the BIOS, and this being an Asus motherboard it is more likely that the issue here may be RAM voltage / settings in the BIOS, you may need to tinker with them until you find the stability. I hope you ensured while making the purchases that your RAM was on QVL of this motherboard.

Uhgg heres two more..
I've had three freezes today, only the third time it went to the bluescreen, other two just looked like a 'screenshot freeze'

Attachments

• BSOD3.zip
    51.2 KB · Views: 1
Both errors only cited Windoes OS drivers as the cause.

One error is 0x0000001E: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
The Windows kernel detected an illegal or unknown processor instruction. A Stop 0x1E condition can be caused by invalid memory and access violations similar to those that generate Stop 0xA errors.

0xA errors are caused by either hardware or faulty drivers.

The other error is 0x0000007E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
A system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including hardware incompatibility, a faulty device driver or system service, or some software issues. Check Event Viewer (EventVwr.msc) for additional information.

* Did you figure out the memory speed yet?

I've noticed now that I got back into the bios the ram voltage was back to AUTO. wtf? I changed it back to 1.5 again and made sure to press "save changes and exit". problem continues to happen. I also don't know where to change it to 1333mhz, can't find it. heres what the bios looks like.

100_8428.jpg

100_8429.jpg

heres two new dumps, along with a new error related to my audio driver. When the audio crash occured, it made the very familiar "frozen audio jumbled noise" that happens every time I get a freeze, but then instead the computer continued to operate normally after closing the dialog boxes. I'm using the required VIA Audio driver (most current version) available for onboard sound.

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\AppCrash_AUDIODG.EXE_3a1ceff2cc9e164138b653176dc8f5dec75b226_cab_12769264\WER9080.tmp.appcompat.txt
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\AppCrash_AUDIODG.EXE_3a1ceff2cc9e164138b653176dc8f5dec75b226_cab_12769264\WER90A0.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\AppCrash_AUDIODG.EXE_3a1ceff2cc9e164138b653176dc8f5dec75b226_cab_12769264\WER9238.tmp.mdmp

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Attachments

• thisisBS.zip
    53.4 KB · Views: 1
Memory corruption is cited. Can you possibly link us to both the motherboard and the RAM?

what do you mean? I know the part numbers but i put those both in the first post so not sure what you're asking

Link = In order for us to look at the specs ourselves. But never mind because I did a search for both motherboard and RAM.

According to the specs on your motherboard it certainly can run the speed at which you list in your first post. However, Corsair Dominator 4gb ((2x2) sets that I looked at on Newegg show a higher voltage requirement than the 1.5 volts you've been attempting to set. Three sets require 1.65v and one 1.8v and if this is the case with the attempt to set the memory at 1.5v there is little wonder the motherboard keeps wanting to set it to Auto.

But this is only a guess at this point because I don't know your particular voltage specs of your particular Corsair Dominator.

Also keep in mind that Corsair and Asus boards had some serious conflict issues earlier in the year.

Well I'd say Asus and many type of RAM / various Brands have issues with each other, basically they don't want to marry that easily ;)

well all i can say is that the stick physically says 1.5v on it.. i have noticed alot of the other P55's run 1.65, but it does show 1.5v for some of the sticks in the mobo compatability guide.

100_8446.jpg

This is one counfounding problem. I reread Archean's reply from three weeks ago. Does this board have the latest BIOS?

well i tried staying away from doing that, more of a last resort thing. there probably is a newer release, but this seemed more like possibly driver issues or something else.

Drivers have nothing to do with RAM configuration in BIOS; so probability is (provided if the RAM is healthy) that you may need to update your board's BIOS to see whether newer version will cure this issue or atleast allow you to set values accordingly.

Drivers have nothing to do with RAM configuration in BIOS; so probability is (provided if the RAM is healthy) that you may need to update your board's BIOS to see whether newer version will cure this issue or atleast allow you to set values accordingly.

What Arch says. Because of the minidump reads of memory corruption we have found the issue can be one of the following: a) bad RAM, b) wrong voltage settings of the RAM, c) wrong configuration of the RAM in the slots, d) current BIOS cannot handle the current amount installed, or e) known issues between the board and memory that is not explained by a through d.

Have you ever flashed a BIOS before?

Well I've been using Intel Boards for as long as I remember now (except one time recently but returned the Asus board next day) ...... anyway, flashing BIOS on Intel boards are as easy as breathing ...... just download the BIOS update from site, run it (don't reboot or power off while its running), once it is finished system simply reboot (twice) and you are done. I haven't really flashed Asus boards every, so not sure how easy or difficult it is on them. Regards

Updated to newest 1502 Bios, reset cmos, had 2 freezes and another BSOD within 24 hours. uhgg this is so frustrating. when I move down to 1 2gb stick I have zero issues, went for a month without a problem. as soon as theres 2 sticks instant problems.

new dump attached, hopefully it has some useful info. tech support will prolly want to know exact specifics.

anyone have ideas?

Attachments

• 122510-17425-01.zip
    24.6 KB · Views: 1
Back