Computer freezes while playing games

Alright so the issue seems to be getting worse, sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt. Usually i have to end up keep restarting the computer over and over after each lock-up until i finally get lucky and it doenst lock up. Sometimes it bluescreens me and sometimes it restarts the PC also. Rarely it will do it when not playing games.
I've tryed about everything i can think of doing that you would normally do when these problems first occur
I've cleaned out the PC, took vid card out then put back in, tryed new monitor, used advanced system care to clean my PC and registry up etc, nothing has helped so far.

Im starting to think something is wrong with the video card, altho my BIOS needs a update but i dont know if that has anything to do with this, and i really dont know how to update BIOS anyways. Could also be the power supply altho its 650 watts so idk, its not realy old neither only around a year or so
Im using Windows XP professinoal 32 BIT SP2
Video card is Nvidia Geforce 8600 GT if that is of any help
By the way overheating is not an issue, ive checked temperatures on most things in PC, and PC chip si running around 27 celcius-30 celicius always.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

First, we here at TechSpot strongly suggest you update to SP3.

Second, we also take the position that when it somes to the registry to leave it alone. More problems occur when the registry is touched than is ever fixed.

Third, please do the following...

How to find and post your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip; if you only have one or two you don’t need to zip them, just attach as is. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

I haven't got any files in the minidump folder, not a single file there lol and my computer just bluescreened and locked up few times just earlier.

I've heard some things about SP3 though, that its not compatible with a lot of things, as for the registry i only did this to see if it would fix it, but it didnt the probelm was occuring before i tryed to fix the freezing.

This issue has been happening for quiet a while now, cant figure it out and it mainly only happens when i play a movie or play games.

Also when i mean freeze i literally mean the whole PC freezing, cant do nothing have to restart PC.

I just checked event viewer also, no warnings or errors was in it.

Here is a pic of some info on my PC
http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/8485/fdsaasdf.png

Do the following to enable Minidump Files to be created:

1. Right click My Computer > click Properties > click Advance tab

2. The Advance Screen at the bottom right has Error Reporting. Click this on.

3. Click Enabled error reporting and also check both boxes underneath: Windows operating system and Programs.

4. Now click Choose Programs and click All Programs. Then click Okay and that screen will close. At the next screen click Okay and that will close.

5. You are back to the Advance screen. Find the Start up and Recovery which has underneath it System startup, system failure, and debugging information. Click the Settings box.

6. Another screen will open. You want the System failure section. Enable all three boxes.

7. Under these boxes is Write debugging information. Choose the option Small memory dump (64kb). Click OK and that screen will close.

8. Click OK one more time and you'll be finished. Now the ability for your system to write minidumps should be enabled.

* As for SP3 not being compatible that is old, old information. I run three systems with SP3 with no problems at all as do many.

alright i enabled minidumps, now to wait until it does it again.

As for SP3 i'll consider going to that, if its worth it.

If you can think of anything else to help, lemme know i'll post up though as soon as it does it again.

Btw in that pic my voltages are alright an stuff arent they? the one i uploaded to imageshack in my previous post. I heard on some powersupplys they dont always give out 12 volts so

Yes, wait to see if the BSOd occurs again and then attach the minidumps.

As for your power supply question here is a useful chart that you might want to keep: It works in percentage tolerances.

The bare minimum is 5% and most good manufacturers go to 3%. And the really good supplies are tighter than 3%.

So for 5% they have to be between:
12v: 11.4v <--> 12.6v -- though IMOP the 12.6 is a tad high for a "safe" range.
5v: 4.75v <--> 5.25v
3.3v: 3.135v <--> 3.465v

And for 3% they can be between:
12v: 11.64v <--> 12.36v
5v: 4.85v <--> 5.15v
3.3v: 3.201v <--> 3.399v

* So it looks like you are okay volatge wise.

* By the way, the OCCT version you used, is that a free one?

ight and yea i got that free i found it on a post on here. My pc just locked up it was fine for 2-3 hours i was playin the game, but it locked up no BSOd but locked up, the BSOd dont happen as much as the lock up's but turns out to be a everyday thing lol

No minidump in da folder yet, guess i have to wait for bsod

Lock ups like you just experienced often point to a heat issue. Since gaming puts a load on the GPU the temps increase. If it gets to high the system locks up.

What are your system temps like when you are gaming?

not really sure, how can i check that? i never really fooled with all the temps while gameing, i always go by what the CPU temp is when i boot up or restart pc but that never changes its alwasy around 28-35 celcius or osmething, cpu temp i mean. Ther any programs i can use to check my GPU temp?

Use the Manage Attachments button in your next post and attach them to this thread. Please don't Zip each one individually. Since you only have two minidump files attach as is.

Next time you post scroll to the bottom and note the Manage Attachments button. Use it to attach your minidump files to your next post. We'll read those attachments.

also just remem when it starts bluescreein my PC starts lockin up n shiat after a few bluescreens, it takes multiple restarts to get it back to normal. (this hapepns when im gameing) or browsing some videos on web

1337, please try to keep in mind that everyone of us who lend advice/help are all volunteers. We truly understand the frustrations of PC problems because we've had them ourselves, but life calls us to other responsibilities and we can't always be here.

That being said, the one minidump specifically cited the Nvidia display driver nv4_disp.dll as the cause of your system crashes. So do the following:

1. Download Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper (both have free versions; make sure the version will work with your OS) to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper but ONLY for the video card drivers. I had someone use it on their chipset drivers! If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay; just leav all other drivers alone.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

the thing is i already have the latest video card drivers, there is no new ones for this card.

Should i still do it?

If you haven't tried it with Driver Sweeper before updating the drivers then do the above steps. If it still occurs then do it once again but this time use the drivers preceeding the latest.

Ok, well did what you said, 3 times matter of fact and still same problem, locking up randomly while playing games. Hopefully you have more solutions i can try to fix the problem, i followed ur steps completely 3 times or more and still same problem, no blue screen yet but only been few hours since i did it, PC still locks up completely while playing games, sometimes watching videos on net but not as much as when playing games

k bluescreen isnt fixed neither, done it twice on me today lol even after i did the driver thing syesterday

Alright but will have to wait, for some odd reason my minidumps was disabled again, not sure why but i'll attach them the next blue screen i get, and i appreciate you for takeing your time to help me with this problem, thank you a lot.

k so was browsin web few mins ago and pc locked up, game wasnt on or anything. No idea the cause of the random PC lock ups, really puzzles me, hasnt blue-screened again yet but am sure it will soon, im starting to think my video card or something is faulty, not sure but if video card is faulty can that cause the whole system to lock randomly?

Back