Microsoft releases Internet Explorer 9 Release Candidate

Emil

Staff

Microsoft has released Internet Explorer 9 Release Candidate in 40 languages. You can download version 9.0.8080.16412 now for: Windows Vista 32-bit and Windows Server 2008 32-bit, Windows Vista 64-bit and Windows Server 2008 64-bit, Windows 7 32-bit, and Windows 7 64-bit and Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit.

The new RC build includes a Tracking Protection feature, which gives users the option to control what third-party site content can track them when they’re online, as well as a new ActiveX filtering option, which allows users to turn on/off ActiveX plug-ins. Best of all, Microsoft has addressed what was arguably the biggest complaint with the new version (the company has gone through over 17,000 pieces of feedback): if you want your tabs on a separate line from the address box, there's now an option to turn that on from the right click menu at the top of the browser.

At the same time, IE9 RC is significantly faster than the beta version. Furthermore, many site rendering issues have been fixed, although we can't say that it's working perfectly. Last but not least, the new build includes hundreds of bug fixes.

Microsoft released the IE9 beta five months ago. The software giant also took the opportunity to announce that the beta surpassed 25 million downloads, making it the most downloaded beta release of Internet Explorer ever. Redmond is likely to release the final version of IE9 at its Mix11 event (April 12 to April 14, 2011).

"IE9 RC supports additional emerging Web standards including CSS3 2D Transforms, HTML5 Geolocation and a set of HTML5 semantic elements," a Microsoft spokesperson said in a statement. "We've added support for the HTML5 canvas global­Composite­Operation property and improved the performance of canvas’s Canvas­Pixel­Array. We've updated IE9 RC to reflect changes to the DOM events and added accessibility to the HTML5 audio and video controls. These additions reflect our pattern of implementing site ready HTML5 while ensuring developers can experiment with new and emerging specifications through our HTML5 Labs. As these specifications become stable, you can expect we will implement them in IE as we have throughout the development of IE9."

Permalink to story.

Let me guess 20 million hackers downloaded it lol. Why don't they just buy firefox and hire there team.

I'm rather fond of Chrome's tabs being at the very top of the window. IE9 manages to use a similar layout to Chrome but doesn't place the tabs at the very top, making the top of the screen look quite wasteful just with a load of blank aero-ness. Does google have a patent on having tabs at the top of the screen or something?

Guest said:
Does google have a patent on having tabs at the top of the screen or something?
I don't believe so as Firefox 4 Beta and Opera 11 both let you do it. They just don't do it by default if I'm correct.

No love for Windows XP, excellent.

And for people than will question xp, you can go back to your ultra high advance tech world on 7.

Guest said:
No love for Windows XP, excellent.

And for people than will question xp, you can go back to your ultra high advance tech world on 7.

Why would you use a decade-old OS. IE9 requires advanced(WDDM...) features not included in XP

I used to use Firefox and always used to betas as my main broswer (i like the live life on the edge) but when IE9 beta came out i thought i would give it a try and loved it. The tabs on the same row as the address bar annoyed me at first but with the RC when i put them to there own line it didn't feel right so they are back to default. This broswer is a lot better, hopfully MS won't have to long in between updates so that it keeps up with the rest :).

I just downloaded the RC so I haven't really messed around with it. Does anyone else notice that the Techspot tab icon doesn't load in IE9? I don't think it did for the beta versions of IE9 either.

treetops said:
Why don't they just buy firefox and hire there team.
EU would have a HUGE fit on how Microsoft monopolizes EVERYTHING without giving people choices, among other things... OH EU... *rolleyes*

No XP support.

Yet another irrelevant browser release from Microsoft. Chrome, Opera, Firefox and Safari, all of which kick IE's proverbial bu_tt, have no problem supporting XP. Amazing that the creator of this OS can't manage to support it.

More typical MS hi-jinx trying to push people to buy into their over-priced under-featured upgrades.

It's this approach to business that is slowly but surely driving the MS juggernaut into the ground. They could get away with it when they were the only game in town but those days are long over.

I totally agree. Anyone have a link to where I can get a copy of firefox for DOS?

Guest said:
No XP support.

Yet another irrelevant browser release from Microsoft. Chrome, Opera, Firefox and Safari, all of which kick IE's proverbial bu_tt, have no problem supporting XP. Amazing that the creator of this OS can't manage to support it.

More typical MS hi-jinx trying to push people to buy into their over-priced under-featured upgrades.

It's this approach to business that is slowly but surely driving the MS juggernaut into the ground. They could get away with it when they were the only game in town but those days are long over.
I hate people who think that XP is the be-all-end-all of OSs. It is almost 10 YEARS OLD. Will you also complain how there is no Windows 2000, ME, 98, or 95 support? Why don't you look at Apple and complain that the latest versions of iTunes and Safari requires Mac OS X v10.5 with no support for OS X v10.0 (released same year as XP)? Quit crying, grow up, and stop wasting space with your literary diarrhea.

"Why would use use an outdated OS based on DOS?"

FYI: XP is based on the NT kernel, not DOS. Do some research.

Wang writes "I hate people who think that XP is the be-all-end-all of OSs. It is almost 10 YEARS OLD."

I hate people who think that we should be rewarding Microsoft with our hard earned money for producing such minuscule and meaningless improvements to their OS with over 10 years to work on it. In some respects, they have even managed to make it worse.

Apple at least:
a) adds innovation to their upgrades
b) releases one fully professional "Ultimate" version
c) doesn't treat its users like criminals with product activation nonsense and headaches
d) charges a reasonable price ($30) for an upgrade that offers MORE value than the ludicrous x6 price MS asks us to pay to fix Vista (aka Windows 7)

Other than copying the Dock in OSX, which I can get even better functionality from third party apps for XP, and Windows 7's (and Vista's) uselessness as a professional Audio platform due to the broken multimedia service, how is it better than that 10 year old OS?

Guest said:
Wang writes "I hate people who think that XP is the be-all-end-all of OSs. It is almost 10 YEARS OLD."

I hate people who think that we should be rewarding Microsoft with our hard earned money for producing such minuscule and meaningless improvements to their OS with over 10 years to work on it. In some respects, they have even managed to make it worse.

Apple at least:
a) adds innovation to their upgrades
b) releases one fully professional "Ultimate" version
c) doesn't treat its users like criminals with product activation nonsense and headaches
d) charges a reasonable price ($30) for an upgrade that offers MORE value than the ludicrous x6 price MS asks us to pay to fix Vista (aka Windows 7)

Other than copying the Dock in OSX, which I can get even better functionality from third party apps for XP, and Windows 7's (and Vista's) uselessness as a professional Audio platform due to the broken multimedia service, how is it better than that 10 year old OS?

Either you need to do some more research or you are trolling quite hard.

Has anyone tried the tests on http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/? IE9 surpasses Chrome on almost all the tests!

Just got it downloaded and installed, everything came across from IE8 without a hitch and it's definitely got more snap.

... doesn't treat its users like criminals with product activation nonsense and headaches

So I assume you feel that you're being treated as a criminal when you register any product you purchase ... or is that reserved exclusively for Microsoft? Virtually every third party product I've installed in recent years has a product or activation key and a registration process of some kind. Guess all these 3rd party development houses are also run by a band of theives.

IE9 seems faster than Chrome and definitely snappier than FF4. Looks like MS has a winner.

mattfrompa writes "Either you need to do some more research or you are trolling quite hard. "

A very troll-like contentless response.

The irony.

Allows you to turn off active-x. Win-win. Welcome to the new firefox, which did this 5 years ago. I'll bet it isn't the default setting. Websites will still change your files by visiting.

Hey Mizzou, do a google search on "windows activation headache" or similar. The only people it aggravates and annoys are legitimate users.

I know people who actually cracked their store bought copies to avoid the hassle and insult of WPA.

And i can't imagine you're so naive as to think that the countless millions of dollars and development effort Microsoft has wasted on irritating and alienating their legitimate users with WPA (instead of improving the OS) compares in any way what-so-ever to the simple registration process used by the vast majority of applications out there.

If more Windows users stopped bending over and blindly taking it up the wazoozky from MS than perhaps MS would give them some reasonable value for their dollar compared to the competition. By mindlessly defending them you only make MS and Windows weaker in the long run.

Well Guest: have you ever considered the fact that Apple charges excessively for their hardware solutions; hence the argument that they have in-built OS price into each Mac/Notebook they sell. So they charge people for 'incremental' improvements at much lower price. The difference is in the business model here. Even when windows service packs bring some new functionality, MS never charges any thing.

Secondly, Apple doesn't 'invent' everything, they have copied hell lots of things from windows as well, just use any search engine and I'm sure you can find many comparisons about it.

Lastly, to some extent I do see your point about MS's (and others for that matter) annoying product activation; I always believed that MS need to bring prices of their OS to more 'reasonable' level and that will surely help them in their fight against piracy, e.g. the idea of selling a Win7 HP family pack for 125$ (I don't remember where I read this price) was a brilliant one. But unfortunately they don't see things this way.

Back