big_eric

Specs:
Windows 7 Home Premium
ASUS Notebook G60 Series
Intel Core i7 CPU Q720 @ 1.60GHx
6.00 GB of ram
Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter

Hello,

For the last two weeks my laptop has been having troubles with its network adapter (Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter).

Every time my computer starts up from sleep mode or just a normal start up my icon in the bottom right hand corner shows a black box with a plug in it and says no network connection available.

I then proceed by opening up the "Network and Sharing Center," clicking on the "Change Adapter Settings" button in the top left corner, right click on the "Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter" icon and selecting "Diagnose."

The diagnostic runs and asks me if I would like to turn on my wireless capabilities, I click the "Apply Fix" button and it turns on my Adapter.

Here's the Detection Details:

Diagnostics Information (Network Adapter)
Details about network adapter diagnosis:

Network adapter Wireless Network Connection driver information:

Description . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter
Manufacturer . . . . . . . . . : Atheros Communications Inc.
Provider . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft
Version . . . . . . . . . . . : 2.0.0.74
Inf File Name . . . . . . . . . : C:\Windows\INF\netathrx.inf
Inf File Date . . . . . . . . . : July-13-09 8:37:24 PM
Section Name . . . . . . . . . : ATHR_DEV_OS61_10891A3B.ndi
Hardware ID . . . . . . . . . . : pci\ven_168c&dev_002b&subsys_10891a3b
Instance Status Flags . . . . . : 0x180200a
Device Manager Status Code . . : 0
IfType . . . . . . . . . . . . : 71
Physical Media Type . . . . . . : 9

Diagnostics Information (Wireless Connectivity)
Details about wireless connectivity diagnosis:

Information for connection being diagnosed
Interface GUID: f85ed931-ab37-461d-ab1c-6fea931b9b4f
Interface name: Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter
Interface type: Native WiFi

Connection incident diagnosed
List of visible access point(s): 0 item(s) total, 0 item(s) displayed

Connection History

Information for Auto Configuration ID 1

List of visible networks: 0 item(s) total, 0 item(s) displayed

List of preferred networks: 0 item(s)

Diagnostic Information (Wireless Connectivity)
Details about wireless connectivity diagnosis:

For complete information about this session see the wireless connectivity information event.

Helper Class: Auto Configuration
Initialize status: Success

Information for connection being diagnosed
Interface GUID: f85ed931-ab37-461d-ab1c-6fea931b9b4f
Interface name: Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter
Interface type: Native WiFi

Result of diagnosis: Problem found

Root cause:
Wireless capability is turned off

Detailed root cause:
Radio is off (SW switch) **********I THINK THE ISSUES HERE****************????

Repair option:
Turn on wireless capability

Network Diagnostics Log
File Name: 63080A57-8CE1-41A1-8E00-F1CE0048E0CD.Diagnose.0.etl

Other Networking Configuration and Logs
File Name: NetworkConfiguration.cab

I'm not sure what the issue is... my power setting shows that my adapter is set to maximum performance on both plugged-in and battery settings, as well as the power management option showing that my computer is not allowed to turn off the adapter to save power... So I'm out of ideas and I can't find anything on google to help me out...

I appreciate any feedback on the issue
Eric.

Check your windows settings and any software specific settings if there is a control panel other than the windows one for controlling the card. With my laptop the wifi always disconnects after a certain amount of time idle to save battery. Its not really uncommon.

I have checked my power settings for my laptop and my laptop comes with "Power4Gear" performance settings which is part of ASUS I believe inside "Power Options" under "Advanced Settings" I have my Wireless Adapter Settings Power Saving Mode set to Maximum Performance for both Plugged in and Battery options so its not there.

In my "Wireless Network Connection Properties" when I click the "configure" button and I click on the "Power Management" tab I have a box that say "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" and I have it un-checked.

**This shows up in the diagnosis report: **

Detailed root cause:
Radio is off (SW switch) <----

Can anyone tell me what the "SW switch" is? And where I can find its setting for Windows 7 Home Premium?

Hello All!

I have discovered the root cause of the problem and this can be marked as SOLVED! I am currently running Windows 7 64-Bit system on an ASUS G51J Laptop.

On the ASUS download page for the G51J their was a list of Utilities that comes installed on your computer. One of these is called "Wireless Console 3" here is a link to the UserGuide Pdf:

http://ftp://ftp.vgasu.vrn.ru/Drivers/Notebook/ASUS/x50vl/ASUS_Wireless_Console_UserGuide_XP_EN_V1.pdf

Its pretty much a switch which I'm assuming is the "SW switch" that my diagnosis told me was off that is just a graphical representation that shows up at the bottom of your screen telling you if your Blue Tooth and or LAN capabilities are enabled or not. You can access it by either holding the "FN" button and hitting F2 or turning your actual switch on or off located by your SD chip slot on the front left side of the G51J.

So wrapping things up my Wireless Console 3 has some sort of glitch in it that tells me my LAN is off when I come out of sleep mode or when I start my computer but the graphical representation shows that its on. So all I did was UNINSTALL the Wireless Console 3 Utility and it seems to have fixed the issue. (I did try and reinstall the Utility to see if it fixed itself and found that it didn't, I got the same problem)

From what I can tell I am still able to turn my wireless capabilities on and off, it just doesn't show a high resolution picture telling me what my settings are. (It shows a tower for LAN in the top left corner when I turn it on and off then disappears).

Hope this helps!
Eric.

Hello All!

I have discovered the root cause of the problem and this can be marked as SOLVED! I am currently running Windows 7 64-Bit system on an ASUS G51J Laptop.

On the ASUS download page for the G51J their was a list of Utilities that comes installed on your computer. One of these is called "Wireless Console 3" here is a link to the UserGuide Pdf:

http://ftp://ftp.vgasu.vrn.ru/Drivers/Notebook/ASUS/x50vl/ASUS_Wireless_Console_UserGuide_XP_EN_V1.pdf

Its pretty much a switch which I'm assuming is the "SW switch" that my diagnosis told me was off that is just a graphical representation that shows up at the bottom of your screen telling you if your Blue Tooth and or LAN capabilities are enabled or not. You can access it by either holding the "FN" button and hitting F2 or turning your actual switch on or off located by your SD chip slot on the front left side of the G51J.

So wrapping things up my Wireless Console 3 has some sort of glitch in it that tells me my LAN is off when I come out of sleep mode or when I start my computer but the graphical representation shows that its on. So all I did was UNINSTALL the Wireless Console 3 Utility and it seems to have fixed the issue. (I did try and reinstall the Utility to see if it fixed itself and found that it didn't, I got the same problem)

From what I can tell I am still able to turn my wireless capabilities on and off, it just doesn't show a high resolution picture telling me what my settings are. (It shows a tower for LAN in the top left corner when I turn it on and off then disappears).

Hope this helps!
Eric.

Hello Eric,

A big thanks to you for posting the solution to that issue!
Although I have a brandnew ASUS Notebook model (R500V series), uninstalling the Wireless Console 3 software helped here too to have this problem solved!

Thanks again and best regards!

Thanks for the help. I have had the same problem with my new ASUS N56VZ laptop.
Everytime I booted the computer the wireless capability was turned off. Everytime I plugged in a device in the USB it turned off. It could be my cellphone (htc onc x) or even my printer (canon printer).
I had the allow windows to turn wireless capability box unchecked in the settings but didn't help at all.

The solution was simple as you mentioned. I just had to uninstall Wireless console 3. A software provided by ASUS.
Normally when I get a new laptop I format it and install my own software. I'm simply allergic to these third party programs. However this time I didn't do that for some reason.

Eric,

After a couple of hours of updating drivers and checking settings and hating this otherwise fine Asus notebook I saw your post. That was the solution and "You are the man."

Hi my problem is littel differnet on difference I found is
Result of diagnosis: Problem found

Root cause:
Wireless capability is turned off

Detailed root cause:
Radio is off (HW switch) ======THIS IS PROBLEM===========

Repair option:
Turn on wireless capability
Use the switch on the front or side of the computer, or function keys if available, to enable wireless capability on this computer.

Well, this is BIG_ERIC's thread, but I'll give you two suggestions
a) get your manual and find the hardware switch
b) create your own post for your issue(s)

I just purchased a brand new 17 inch asus N76V and had the same issue. I unchecked the exact same buttons as the rest of you, and had to repeatedily diagnose my wireless adapter to have it fix the issue. Also used windows mobility center and created my own list of power management settings. This wireless intermittent connectivity just seemed to be relentless. Luckily I finally came across your post. Thank you!

Hello All!

Hope this helps!
Eric.

Great job on the research and sharing your resolution .. I am having the same problem on my Asus U47A Notebook. I added " Enable Intel Connection Settings" band selection > GHz to exactly match my router. Thus far I have not had to turn my wireless capabilities on again .. not sure if this fixed, I have a feeling it did not, we'll see; I will update when I know for sure.

I was wondering if uninstalling the wireless console 3 will effect any other features, anyone know?

Asus systems come preinstalled with several apps which are not necessary at all.

You can stop these from autostarting by looking in %userprofile%\"Start Menu"\programs\Startup for programs which start when you login.

Programs scheduled for any user login are found in c:\users\"all users"\"Start Menu"\programs\Startup

removing or renaming (suggest adding .DISABLED as a new suffix will stop them from running

Great job on the research and sharing your resolution .. I am having the same problem on my Asus U47A Notebook. I added " Enable Intel Connection Settings" band selection > GHz to exactly match my router. Thus far I have not had to turn my wireless capabilities on again .. not sure if this fixed, I have a feeling it did not, we'll see; I will update when I know for sure.

I was wondering if uninstalling the wireless console 3 will effect any other features, anyone know?

so far, so good, I have not had a the wireless capabilities shut off again since the step I mentioned above but there were also several MS updates, doubt that that had anything to do with it, but possible.

I have the same issue with my Asus K53E laptop but the link you posted does not link to anything. Does anyone happen to have any updated links or any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Tony

Hey big_eric here. You can uninstall console 3 in control panel - remove programs. If you still have issues try holding the "FN" key and pressing "F2" key at the same time. That will turn the "soft" wireless connection on. This is assuming that you have already ensured the "hard" switch that is usually located on the front of your computer is already in the on position.

Thank you thank you thank you Eric! I have been struggling with this issue for months now. The Asus website was no help at all, glad I ran across your post!

This worked for us too, and have also noticed that sometimes the Wireless Console 3 gets reinstalled. I'm guessing that happens when auto updates are installed or something. So now and then it starts happening again, we check for WC3 and sure enough, it's back on the Asus. Uninstalling again fixes it.

I have an Asus A53E which has been disconnecting from the wireless router for months.
Usually it would do it when the computer would go to standby or sleep.
When I recently changed the WiFi card to NOT turn the card off to save power, (hoping it would solve the disconnection issue) then every time I'd boot the machine up the "Wireless is turned off" error would appear.
Troubleshooting would turn it back on, but it wouldn't last and got worse quickly.
Deleting the "Wireless Console 3" looks like it's fixed the problem.
Thank you!

HOORAY!!!
At last, thanks to Big Eric's Tip I have finally fixed this REALLY annoying problem!
I have an ASUS K53E Laptop and the wireless connectivity from sleep mode has caused me much cursing and swearing and has been extremely frustrating. My old ASUS D51J never had this problem! So I never expected my new ASUS K53E Laptop to be a problem. I have been trying various fixes for the last 10 weeks to try and get the wireless to connect without having to run the Network trouble shooter every time and all it said was that my wireless adapter was turned off and did I want to turn it on! :mad: Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!
Anyway, uninstalling Wireless Console 3 has finally fixed the problem and now it connects straight to my wireless router from sleep mode.

Many Thanks Big Eric:D

Sorry, I had a problem like all of you, but I cant find my "WC3" in the program and features. So , I cant uninstall it, my wireless indicator led is always turn on but the icon at rightbottom corner is turning off, and when I click the diagnose, the system said to turn on the wireless capability, I using EEE PC Seashell Series.

Even when I click the swith near the "ESC" button, it cant become turn on..

*Sorry for my bad english,

Thank you, thank you, thank you big Eric!! I thought I was going crazy when I kept getting cut off - you are a legend :)

Hi there
this is the first time after a while that I had problem with my wireless connectivity like the others said. I couldnt belive that can be the usual prob and I decide to try my chance , then I wondered how it can possible that many users have this like me , and this page was my first item of google search result.
by the way, im glad here. I hope it could work to me too.
my laptop model ASUS N46VZ.
to the next time guys. best regards.

Back