Wireless Xbox 360 controller to PC disconnects randomly

ButteredToast

Hi, I have 2 Xbox 360 wireless controllers that I want to connect to to my PC. I already have the wireless receiver and I can get one of the controllers to work perfectly fine on my PC.

My problem is that the second controller won't remain connected. It will connect and will show that it is connected on the computer, but every so often (every couple of minutes) it disconnects and attempts to reconnect. It takes a long time to reconnect, then it eventually disconnects again. When it disconnects the ring just blinks while it tries to reconnect.

My other controller connects and remains connected with no problems. I've already changed the batteries in the controller, and I've even taken the batteries that are in the working controller and it still doesn't want to remain connected. This problem even happens when I just connect it by itself. It also works perfectly on my Xbox 360 so I don't know what the problem could be.

Can anyone offer any advice? Thanks.

there is a piece of software aside from the drivers that you can use and it should control the connections better vs USB alone. i've never used the wireless controllers on a PC so i couldn't tell you how to set it up exactly, but it shouldn't be too complicated. it sounds like there is just interference between the two controllers. since there is only one receiver (i.e. one USB port), they are probably just fighting over which is the primary unit. that's my best guess anyway... i've always used wired.

Thanks for the reply.

Are you talking about the Xbox Status program that came with the driver installation? As far as I know that just shows you how many controllers you have connected and I guess remaining battery life as well.

As for the controllers interfering, the controller that has the problem still has the problem even if it is connected by itself (The controller that does work remains off).

It's the same exact thing that happens in this YouTube video: www(dot)youtube(dot)com/watch?v=TxaIXivz5kE

Wired does seem the way to go, but I'd hate to have to buy another controller when I've already got these 2 and the receiver is "supposed" to allow up to 4 controllers to connect to it.

that is strange, and i feel like it's something simple, but i really have no idea... i don't have any wireless controllers that i can test but does it do this on another computer as well or just yours? the fact that the unit in question doesn't work by itself is puzzling and could mean it's defective, but that would be very unlikely. my best advice would be to simply search around for a solution because obviously there issue isn't too uncommon...

Well the controller works with my Xbox 360 fine, so I don't know if it can just have a problem with connecting to the PC receiver. It also does the same thing if I try it with my laptop instead of my desktop.

I don't know, I guess my only bet is to buy a new one and I guess try to sell this one on eBay or something since it does work with an Xbox. I'd just prolly end up losing out on money just to get the same thing I have and then the new one may have a problem as well

not sure if new members can post in the exchange section, but you could try there first since it's free and you know you are selling to other members. honestly it just sounds like some kind of driver conflict... have you gone into game controllers to see if both devices are registered? like any USB device sometimes there is a conflict with some other piece of hardware that is using the same hub or something.

Yeah, when I go into the Game Controllers it will show that the Xbox 360 controller is connected and I can go under calibrate and it registers all button presses and stick movements. But then whenever it decides to, it will just disconnect randomly.

What gets me is that my other controller works perfectly

Back