Problems after removing threatware

AlbertLionheart

I have just cleared XP Total Security 2011 off the system but now any attempt to run a program from the list or desktop opens the Open With dialogue box. The program is there but refuses to run. Interestingly, running explorer from the hotkey (win + E) works fine.
Is there general setting that has been changed by the threatware and if so, where is it?
I have tried the usual windows repair tool but no improvement.
Grateful thanks up front!

Have you found a solution yet.

When you say you have run the windows repair tool what did you actually do, was it a start up repair or a full repair installation.

You should find that your system will return to full functionality by running a Repair Install. You can do this by inserting the XP disc when on the desktop screen. Follow the prompts as if you are doing a full installation until your reach a page where you have the option to run Repair Install, select this and it will reinstall windows and leave all your software and files intact. You will have to switch on Windows Update to get back all the windows updates as these will be lost.

Albert the Lion! I know you're aware the the rogue programs can be very hard to remove. It is possible that files have remained on the system, causing the problems. Either the file extensions or the right click context menu may have been damaged.

If you would like us to check the system for malware, please start a new thread in the Virus and Malware Forum HERE.

Then please follow the steps in the Preliminary Virus and Malware Removal thread HERE.

When you have finished, leave the logs for review in your next reply .
NOTE: Logs must be pasted in the replies. Attached logs will not be reviewed.

Please do not use any other cleaning programs or scans while I'm helping you, unless I direct you to. Do not use a Registry cleaner or make any changes in the Registry.

As I was unable to run any .exe or other command files I could not generate any logs or reports. I was able to extract the data and then formatted the drive and reinstall the OS. Thanks for your help - I am sure there will be another one along soon!

I have just posted a comment about a variant on this called Windows XP System Recovery - you would have though that by now the anti-virus people would have found a fix for these scams!

Back