Laptop keeps freezing to gray screen

clover0820

It used to be only when I played CSS, but I was just on youtube.com today and went the bathroom, came back, and it was frozen. When it's frozen its a gray screen, I cant press crtl alt delete, i have to hold the power button down for about 10 seconds. I tried to clean out my vent because someone said the video card may be overheating? yeah... cant get the back of my laptop off to do that... Anyways, any help please?
Oh and I remember this started happening about the time i installed google chrome if that has anything to do with this.. prob not but its a try lol..
kk please and thankyou.

Don't worry about "cant get the back of my laptop off to do that"... There is no "back" to get off. If you can see dust in the side or bottom cooling ports., you may be able to use a vacuum cleaner on the outside of the laptop. What is the make and model of your laptop?

No name like Dell, Toshiba, Sony Vaio or HP on the top, bottom or along the bottom of the LCD display? Any model number on the bottom labels?

Its gateway, the only sticker near the keyboad is (DOLBY sound room) on the back..(Model No KBYFO) other information... today i decided to try to uninstall google chrome to see if that was the problem, when i uninstalled it, i was uninstalling the other useless toolbars and after like 2 uninstalled, a message popped up "Youve already uninstalled that"
EVERYTHING WAS UNINSTALLED. I HAD NO PROGRAMS. i restarted my computer and now all the programs i have are Internet Explorer , Steam , Magnifier, Adobe Reader 9..
WTF??

No, U.S. florida.
I should tell you another thing,
I downloaded avast and tried scanning but the gray screen popped up, even when i tried in safe mode, EVEN at the before boot scan.

A search for your Gateway brings up UK listings. What operating system are you running... what version of Windows?

Gateway is now the same as eMachines and Acer.

Sounds like the laptop is overheating or the graphics chip is failing.
You really need to read all of the labels on the bottom carefully, there WILL be a model/part number.

I got the same problem only I'm using ubuntu 9.10, it's a laptop brand advent an I get gray screen freezes when I play some games and use the net. if it needs cooling how do I do that?.....plug it out??? cuz the battery I got cant stay without charge for too long..

I've got the same problem with XCOM. Win7/64x, hd7950. I can't figure out what to do. None of the other games do this and it's not especially graphics heavy game.

Back