Freezing problems with streaming video

cableman

I have a Dell Optiplex 330 which has a 2.0 dual processor with 4gb of ddr2 ram. I have windows xp installed and I have a video card that has 1024 mb of ram. I am unsure of the brand of video card or further specs. I bought it off of ebay some time ago.

My problem is that when I try to play streaming video it wants to freeze a lot. I have already given more space for the virtual memory on my computer: I think 4 to 8 gb and I have set my hardware acceleration way down but these changes haven't helped.

I can download and play movies fine, I only seem to have problems when playing streaming video like from hulu.com or letmewatchthis.com which directs you to sites like: putlocker, deditv, sockshare, loomba, etc. I have used other computers and they don't seem to have as much problems with this so I hope that somebody knows what I need to do to solve this problem. Thanks in advance for any help.

When you say freezing, do you mean just the video freezes, or the whole system? If its just the video, it could have something to do with your internet connection. Is the computer on wired internet or wireless?

freezing response

It is definitely not the internet connection. I am using a router but it is hardwired and not wireless. I also have a 10/100/100 ethernet card with updated drivers plus I have checked my connection and it is fine.

By freezing, I mean the picture will freeze like a still shot of the movie for a few seconds and then it will resume playing. The big problem is that it does it repeatedly. I find that some websites are worse than others so I thought it might be due to bandwidth but other computers don't seem to have as much problems and they are comparable to mine and not faster.

Freezing streams could be caused by many things, not always that logical and clear. However this doesn't really sound like a hardware issue.

I'd start with updating the basic requirements to watch a stream, just like Fimbles suggested above: Flash, Java, and I'd update your graphics drivers too, while you're at it. For that you'll need to know the brand of your graphics card. If you don't know how to figure that out, here is a way:

Either press [Windows key] + R or open "run" from the start menu and type "dxdiag" and hit enter. A direct-x window will pop up displaying all sorts of things. Open the "Display" tab in there and your graphics card brand will be listed there.

Once you find out the brand, just google for "[brand] drivers" or go to the homepage of it's manufacturer.

Secondly, I'd check if another computer on the same network also has trouble watching the streams (if possible ofcourse).

Lastly, I'd check your browser-settings for anything about streaming, or bandwidth-usage. Because some browsers have automaticly set a bandwith-limiter which makes sure you don't go above a certain download rate.

Marty

Thank you for your response, it has been the best so far. I forgot to mention that I have AT&T DSL internet connection and I get really good download speeds so I don't think that it is an internet problem.

I have also tried all I know to tweak my system to get better performance but you are the first one to advise me about the bandwidth limiter on my browser. I will almost bet that is the problem although I will not get sidetracked on that only.

I have other computers on the same network that don't seem to have this problem so I am pretty sure it is just something with my computer.

I have updated all my drivers and java so I can be pretty sure that's not an issue. I am really happy that you took the time to help me. A lot of people wouldn't bother even though they mean well; they are just busy as I know you must be. I actually an computer literate, I'm just a little rusty on a few points; mainly video and games.

I will see if there is a bandwith limiter on my browser and fix it accordingly. Thank you so much for your time. I greatly appreciate it. Thanks again.

Even I too just bought an Dell Optiplex and I have tried everything I can do, but still it is freezing to play HD movies.

I have upgraded my display driver and all other software. I have comcast internet which is 60Mbps bandwidth and my all other computer are performing better. One more thing the blueray movies which I have downloaded also has the problem in playing, I use VLC media player.

The mostly Dell Optiplex has Intel GMA 3100 display adapter with Intel G33/31Express chipset. Which I doubt these display adapter is outdated.

I am using an HP quadcore with 7gb ram on windows 10. I have been having trouble with my computer freezing up from time to time while stream videos or music. All drivers and software is updated. Any feed back?

Go to the pagefile settings, manually manage the values and set the MIN==MAX,
typically 2x real ram installed

Do me a favor and open the task manager and see how much cpu utilization is being used while streaming these said videos. a 2.0 ghz dual core these days is extremely weak unfortunately. streaming video these days uses way more resources than it should. your cpu could be maxing. your ram shouldn't be an issue because if it maxes out your pagefile should take care of the leftover resources to an extent. another issue I could see is the ram in your video card could be maxing out as well. integrated intel graphics generally don't have a whole lot of video memory. if your cpu utilization isn't maxing then I'd have to point the finger at your video ram being eaten away. I haven't used hulu for quite some time but I'm gonna guess is that it still uses adobe flash player? if you don't know you can right click anywhere on the video and it'll say something about flash. if it still uses flash then I would suggest downgrading your flash player to version 10.3 and using firefox since chrome itself won't let you run old versions of flash player. however having an old version of flash is supposedly a security risk. I've never had an issue but someone else might. old versions of flash can be found here btw http://www.oldversion.com/windows/macromedia-flash-player/ . I can't say how well hulu will actually support older flash versions though, but I would give it a try. flash player 10.3 was the last version in my opinion that didn't suck

I have a bravia sony tv, 7 yrs old, tivo, apple tv, and when streaming netflix it freezes. comcast if the provider. should I get a booster? or is there something on my computer that needs to be rebooted or ? drives me batty. thanks for the thought

Back