Computer Keeps Restarting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just recently I was playing Men of Valor untill my computer restarted, I thought it was no problem and just shut of my computer and went to sleep. The next morning I woke up and my CMOS battery was reset so I put back the boot sequence and started up Windows. I try to play Men of Valor again and after a couple of minutes a blue screen pops up for a split second and my computer restarts. My computer keeps restarting when I try to play my games. I've just recently upgraded some parts on my computer; I replaced my Ti4200 64mb to a Ti4400 128mb and added 256mb (making my total memory to 768). Anyone have any ideas to what is causing my computer to keep restarting?

My computer specs:
Windows XP Pro
Athlon XP 1800 (stock cooling) @ 1.15Ghz
756MB of RAM
350 watt power supply

Thanks.

Could be a heat problem, bad video driver or the new memory is bad or has the wrong timmings set in the BIOS.

Hmm, it could be the video drivers, I had to update my drivers to the 66.77 so the textures will work. I'll give it a try, thanks.

Harddrive

Could be the harddrive, couse my computer did the same when the hard drive worked hard like when you are playing a game, try replacing it if you can get another

The memory that you just put in.....is it the same brand and speed? Could be that the memory is not compatible with the other.

You ever have a flash light with weak batteries in it? You turn it on and it's all bright for a minute, then it starts dimming out. So you turn it off and about an hour later you turn it on and it's all bright again for a minute? Sounds like that may be what your CMOS battery is doing. You start it up and have to reset the BIOS. Then you play, it gets weak, the system crashes. Test it to make sure it's OK. That's where I'd start..

Graphics card

Are you using Radeon 9800 Pro by any chance?

I have the exact same problem (except it happens when I play Far Cry). I read plenty of solutions to this issue already, and I would try updating the motherboard drivers.

I have this same problem.
I had it the day my comp was put together. the graphics card and hard drives were from the old comp.
I took it to a computer place and they said it was the hard drive, but i experiences problems with games. i found i had to save at certain points to aviod restarting. odd.
formatted thinking it needed it but i couldnt get windows to stay on long enough to reinstall, it cutted out on the blue screen when it asks u if u want to install windows.
I put in a diff hard drive but it still restarted.
got a new block of ram only got it last week, it installed alright first time no restarts.
But i can not reinstall, i tried same thing happens i tried on another drive same thing happens.
I tried to do a memory test to see if it was bad but it only makes it half way and restarts. Its so annoying. Not sure whats wrong.

windows xp
550w power
1 gig ddr
pentium 3gig
gforce fx5900xt

Hey Guys i got this too.
Exept it doesn't take such new games for my pc to crash i can run F-22 Lightning 3 and the thing will happen. When the pc reboots i get this from the Microsoft Crash Analisys:
STOP:0x100000EATHREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER_M

STOP 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER

I've seen other people with this problem in other forums but either there wasn't any good advice given or I had allready tried it, But the prob. is still here

Bug Check 0xEA: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER
The THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER bug check has a value of 0x000000EA. This indicates that a thread in a device driver is endlessly spinning
Cause
A device driver is spinning in an infinite loop, most likely waiting for hardware to become idle.

This usually indicates problem with the hardware itself, or with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly. In many cases this is the result of a bad video card or a bad display driver.

Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing the video card and drivers? Go to start/run and type in Msinfo32.exe. when the System Information window opens, go through everything and see if it lists any conflicts, or problems in the status columns.

why me????

I just picked up a spare computer form work, and i have a simular problem. It wll work for a while, and then just out of the blue, it restarts.
Specs:

WINXP Pro
Pent 3
512 MB RAM
120 GB HD

If it doesnt restart itself, it freezes. I dont know what kind of video card it has but ill check that out later, i just ordered a pentium 4 for it so i hope that helps. Let me know what you think

Deck

Hey I looked at the back of my pc and i saw this huge amount of dust hangin out so i opened it and i removed loads of dust from the CPU cooler. It appears that the air couldn't get to my CPU to cool it off and motherboards are made to shut down at a certain temperature so I figured this would get rid of the problem. As a matter of fact it did but the pc still restarts by its own some times(after startup, goes to windows and just restarts), but not when playing heavy games like it did before. A major part o the problem is gone but its still kinda annoying and i dot think a pc is suppose to do this so pls keepe me informed;)

probably best if you clean up the insides from dust and stuff, and check also that it has enough cooling and power running to it. if you do get BSODs upload a few of the minidumps in a zip file here and one of the techheads can read what problems its got to fix.. faster than guessing whats wrong..

Also worthwile to update all drivers including directx..

Ya, Adren-Lin, what N3051M said. Unplug the computer. Ground yourself by touching the case or wear a ground strap to discharge any static electricity in your body. Take out the memory, PCI and video cards, and blow out the slots with some canned compressed air. Most cases open on both sides so pull off both so you can blow the dust out and not into a corner. Make sure you blow out the spaces in between the slots on the heatsink really well. Re insert the items, Download Everest. Open the program and in the right hand window, click on Computer, then Sensor. Check the voltage values. They should not be more than 10% below their value which is the industry standard, although most won't tolerate anything below 5% on a high end system. Also check your temps. A program like motherboard monitor5 can check them in real time by posting the temps in the task bar.

As a matter of fact it did but the pc still restarts by its own some times(after startup, goes to windows and just restarts), but not when playing heavy games like it did before. A major part o the problem is gone but its still kinda annoying and i dot think a pc is suppose to do this so pls keepe me informed

On my Athlon XP 2000, if I have one RAM setting wrong in the BIOS, it does the same thing. If I add new RAM, I have to change them to make things go fine. When the settings are OK, you can't even get to computer to show you a BSOD.

Possible Solution

I had the same problem with my PC restarting randomly all the time - i got a new motherboard, powersupply - checked the ram and switched which HD my OS was on but it still kept restarting

I Have a Radeon 9600 pro graphics card and whenever i'd install the drivers from the disk it would restart randomly or i would get a blue screen, this has really pissed me off anyways i downloaded the latest catalyst drivers which had the latest Video card drivers for my VC and after that it hasn't restarted, it's been over 20 minutes now and previously it would restart every five :haha:

lets hope this fixes someone elses problem

hello, im a total noob who is completely computer illiterate in comparison to ye gods of uber awesomeness (im serious- i love computers but im not smart enough to tinker....)

my computer is really old, and since i got my laptop, i havent been using it much.
THe last time i used it was in march and it was working just fine.

now everytime i turn it on and log in (it has windows millenium edition) it immediately restarts itself as soo as the desktop is loaded... i dont even have time to click anything....
I've tried going in through safe mode and it still does the same thing.

Im gonna try and open it up later on tonight and clean it up but the computer isnt even over heating, so im not sure whats going on.

When this restarting thing started i decided to restore to factory settings because i wasnt gonna lose anything important anyway.

this didnt help at all... its still restarting and now at an even faster frequency than before- i cant even click the start button.
heeelp please!!!
a big kiss and hug to whoever can help me.

My first thought would be bad system memory. Can you open the computer case and clean all the dust and dirt out, then look for the system memory. There should be 1 or 2, maybe even 3 long thin slots near the processor (that square metal block with a fan attached to the top of it), release the plastic tabs at each end of the memory modules to remove them. How many of these do you see?

If you have nothing important, have you tried to format your drive, reinstall windows and all the applications going with it?

most of u guys have de same problem,some of u hav to blow out dust,others its video/system drivers & os repair,and then poor memory timing.use softwares like Sytem mechanic,Everest to monitor & fix yo problems.

I got the same problem...my pc keeps restarting and after I remove my cdrom, it resolved my problem. I still dont know where is the problem, if it is cdrom or just the ide cable connected to the cdrom. I havent check it yet. cause i dont have a spare cdrom. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back