PSU compatibility

Ja1984selena

i have a HP p7-1037c computer and i am using a Bestec ATX-250-12Z-D7R psu that has 250watts which is weak! i want to know is using a different brand of psu with different specs is ok to use with my pc or do i have to use that same model of psu, i wanted to buy like a 400watt startech psu if i don't need to use a replacement psu of bestec 400 watt psu because i heard bad things about bestec power supplies. Is a different brand or model of psu going to have the right adapters on it to use right away on my pc. I keep thinking there are didn't adapters on all atx power supply units so i am not sure if others are compatibie with my pc, help please!
I want this psu for to use with a HD 5670 2gb video card i plan to purchase soon! any ideas what i should do?

If the PSU is stamped as a ATX PSU, and not some oddly sized OEM style version then you can upgrade it with any ATX type PSU.

Any half decent PSU will have all the connectors you need included. I would recommend you purchase a 500W PSU to give a little additional headroom.

What is your budget for a new PSU and I'll recommend a few.

OK, here's a few worth considering:

Corsair HX-650 $119.99 ($99.99 with rebate) and free shipping. This carries a 7 year warranty, and is modular

Antec High Current Gamer HCG-620 $79.99 with $2.99 shipping I run this myself in my system - Non-modular with 3 year warranty.

Enermax NAXN ENP600AWT 600W $79.99 (Only $39.99 with rebate! shipping is free. Non-modular with 3 year warranty.

Seasonic 520W M12II $92.99 with $9.65 shipping. Modular PSU with 5 year warranty.

Modular PSU's come with separate cables allowing you to plug in only the ones you need. Non-modular PSU's are the same as you have now e.g. all the leads are hardwired to the PSU.

I agree Tedster, but I'm thinking longer term. Getting a 300-400W PSU is all good for now, but not when the system is upgraded later on. It makes sense to spend similar money and get something that will last considerably longer. Otherwise it'll be a limiting factor in future upgrades again, and therefore a waste of money.

Besides which, if you can get the rebate on the Enermax above thats an insane bargain for a good quality PSU.

Deciding what to buy

i have a hp p7-1037c computer, i have only a low quality 250 watt psu and i am trying to upgrade from a ATI HD 4200 onboard graphics card and don't know what to buy right now with $125. Should i spend this money on a Corsair - Gaming Series 600-Watt ATX CPU Power Supply for around $99.99 and have to save again for a visiontek hd 5670 2gb for $129.99 or something better, or spend it on hd 5450 2gb video card right now for $99.99 to use for gaming on low resolution which sucks my computer has only a 250watts psu and i can almost use the low power video cards. i don't have any experience installing a psu into a pc so i am trying not to have to do it myself, i am willing to pay for on-site service to have a technician install it for me as long it cost only $100 or less to get it installed by a professional i get around $100 per week to spend on computer upgrades so in a few weeks i could have alot more than i have right now. i don't want to pay $300+ for a high performance video card and i want to not have to use a external power through a 6pin or 8pin adapter so help me please for upgrading my pc. I want to play Grand Theft Auto 4 that i purchased

This is only slightly relevant ... but you really shouldn't be paying $99.99 for a 5450. Look around online, you'll find much better for the price. Then again, maybe that's all academic, because you really need a better PSU; it would be advisable to get a better one even for a 5450.

BTW, you'd be surprised at the amount of detail in some of the tutorial videos of building a computer on YouTube. Just a suggestion, if you want to save money :)

Back