Repeated install problem

Doctor Gallop

Hope someone can figure this one out.
Running Windows XP Home Edition....I have automatic updates tuned on...it is always notifying me from the task bar that there are updates to be downloaded but it never downloads them.
Whenever I shut down the computer I get a pop up window telling me there are "6 updates to be downloaded, please do not shut off computer"
I watch as it does the updating from one 1 to 6. It even sounds like it is updating!
But the next time I turn on the computer back on....its the same notice all over again.

Deep freeze is a software lock state on your computer that prevents you from permanently changing things on your computer by restoring it to the state it was in before the changes, after you have restarted your computer.

What it could also be is that one of the update files, most probably the first one, is corrupt. You can try to get past this buy manually updating your OS by using the Windows Update option in your control panel.

Whether this is a side-effect or not, I am not sure, but in general, to get MS updates now you have to be at SP3 level on XP. You do not state your SP level - if you do not know it, it is on the general tab when you click the system icon in control panel. It should say version 2002 Service Pack 3.

Assuming you are still at SP2 or lower, that problem can be bypassed at your own considerable risk as here http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/it...ows-xp-sp2-into-thinking-its-running-sp3/1989 but it would be far better to apply SP3 which continues to have critical problem support.

Tried using Windows Update

Deep freeze is a software lock state on your computer that prevents you from permanently changing things on your computer by restoring it to the state it was in before the changes, after you have restarted your computer.

What it could also be is that one of the update files, most probably the first one, is corrupt. You can try to get past this buy manually updating your OS by using the Windows Update option in your control panel.

Tried using Windows Update like you suggested...it went through the install process and when it was done this pop up window came up....[image attached]
I scrolled down on the second image so you could read all that it said.

Attachments

• dennis.jpg
    dennis.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 6
  • dennis_2.jpg
    dennis_2.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 6
Just a thought - if you are actually on SP3 (you still have not said) then possibly you need to update the Windows installer

This is from TechRepublic...
Even after installing SP3, there is a download or two necessary to get Windows Update itself up to speed, but I've never had a problem updating a machine "on demand"; I've never had to wait for Automatic Updates to boot strap the machine.

BTW: One of these "preparatory" updates is the current version of Windows Installer. If you want to make your life a little simpler, download the current version of installer and load it on the machine right after SP3 and before you even try Windows Update

xp Upate
tj243025@... 29th Aug I haven't had a problem until recently. They now state you have to have a minimum of SP3. I did download a local copy of SP3 and installed it. It it happens again I will check about windows installer. It did happen on more than one system.
This is what Microsoft told me to do, but by the time they responded the auto update already updated the system:

Step 1: Reinstall Windows Update Agent 3.0

=====================================

1. Please download the file from the following link:

http://download.windowsupdate.com/w...one/7.4.7600.226/windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe
2. Save the file to "C: drive".

3. Click "Start", "Run", type: "C:\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /wuforce" (without quotations) and then press "Enter" to install the Windows Update engine.

There is a space between "C:\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe" and "/wuforce".

Now try Windows Update to see if the issue has been resolved. Please let us know if this step has resolved it. If not, please proceed to the next step.

Step 2: Delete a Incorrect Registry Key

=================================

1. Click Start, click Run, type REGEDIT, and click OK.

2. Go to the following Registry batch by clicking the PLUS (+) sign

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\User Agent

3. Right click on the Registry and delete it.

4. Go to the following Registry batch by clicking the PLUS (+) sign

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows \CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\User Agent

5. Right click on the Registry and delete it.

6. Restart the computer.

Now try Windows Update to see if the issue has been resolved. Please let us know if this step has resolved it. If not, please proceed to the next step.

Step 3: Load Internet Explorer Default Settings

======================================

1. Please close Internet Explorer.

2. Click "Start" and click "Run", input "INETCPL.CPL" (without quotation marks) and press Enter.

3. Switch to the "Advanced" tab, select "Reset Internet Explorer Settings" under "Restore advanced Settings" button.

2. Select "Delete Personal Settings" option and click the "Reset" button.

Then click "Close" and "OK" to quit.

Now try Windows Update to see if the issue has been resolved. If the above steps do not help, please provide me with the following information for further research.

How to capture a Screenshot

===================

1. When the error appears, please press the "Print Screen" key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.

2. Click "Start", click "Run", type MSPAINT, and click "OK".

3. In Paint, click "Paste" under the "Edit" Menu, click "Save" under the "File" menu, type a file name for the screenshot, choose JPEG as "Save as type", click "Desktop" on the left pane, and click "Save".

4. Please find the screenshot on the Desktop and send it as an attachment to: v-30roxi@mssupport.microsoft.com.

How to collect System Information

=========================

1. Click "Start", go to "Run", type in "MSINFO32" (without quotations) and press "Enter" to start System Information.

2. On the "System Information" window, on the menu bar, click "File", and click "Save as"; save it as an NFO file, such as "system.nfo" to your local Desktop.

3. Locate the file, right-click on it, click "Send To", and click "Compressed (zipped) Folder".

4. Please send it as an attachment to v-30roxi@mssupport.microsoft.com.

How to collect the Windows Update log file

===============================

Note: Since there are two Windows Update log files with similar names, please be aware that I am requesting the "WindowsUpdate.log" file without a space in the middle of the name.

1. Click "Start", "Run" and type "WindowsUpdate.log" (without quotations).

2. Click "OK". We will see a file named "WindowsUpdate.log".

3. Now click on the "File" menu and then click "Save As" and select "Desktop" in the "Save in" option on the top of the window.

4. Click "Save". The file will be saved to your Desktop. Please send it as an attachment to v-30roxi@mssupport.microsoft.com.

However, if the file is unable to be collected by the above steps, we can also use the following method to collect it.

1. Click "Start", "Run", type: "%windir%" (without quotations) and then press "Enter".

2. In the open window, we will see a file named "WindowsUpdate.log".

3. Please send it as an attachment to: v-30roxi@mssupport.microsoft.com.

hope this helps in some way

Just a thought - if you are actually on SP3 (you still have not said) then possibly you need to update the Windows installer

This is from TechRepublic...

hope this helps in some way

Thank you for all of your expert advice...and yes I am using XP with SP3...but I could not follow all of the tech directions concerning the WUP.
If I do not know what I am doing then it might be best to just "put up" with the problem for now.
Thank you again for your time and attention....you guys here on TechSpot.com are great!

yes, the post I gave could be confusing. It is actually advice from a MS tech and gives 3 separate steps to be followed, each assuming the previous one fails, plus information on how to take dumps and where to send them. Only the first step is the important one, which is just to re-install the Windows installer.

I would encourage you to just perform those steps. It might solve your problem

http://download.windowsupdate.com/wi...gent30-x86.exe

3. Click "Start", "Run", type: "C:\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /wuforce" (without quotations) and then press "Enter" to install the Windows Update engine.

I think you could manage that. Btw, all your errors in post#6 are from dot-net, which is notoriously c***p. The bext advice there is reinstall the very latest veriosn for your OS from MS download.

Broken link

yes, the post I gave could be confusing. It is actually advice from a MS tech and gives 3 separate steps to be followed, each assuming the previous one fails, plus information on how to take dumps and where to send them. Only the first step is the important one, which is just to re-install the Windows installer.

I would encourage you to just perform those steps. It might solve your problem

http://download.windowsupdate.com/wi...gent30-x86.exe

I think you could manage that. Btw, all your errors in post#6 are from dot-net, which is notoriously c***p. The bext advice there is reinstall the very latest veriosn for your OS from MS download.

Thank you again for your patience.....I tried the link you gave me but it was broken..[image attached].

Attachments

• Untitled 1.jpg
    Untitled 1.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 1
Back