Wireless problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently purchased a linksys WAG54G ADSL gateway which I installed ok and can access my broadband isp fine (after turning off the firewall).I also purchased a linksys WUSB54G for my laptop.My problems started? my main pc runs fine with the gateway but I cannot access the internet with my laptop and the wireless G. My laptop connects fine through the RJ45 connector via the gateway but not through the wireless mode. both pc's are running xp pro sp1. Everytime I try and connect the laptop via the WUSB54G the message I get is "cannot find server or DNS error internet explorer". I followed the install to the letter. If I try to ping the router it says destination host unreachable.
I have a wireless connection with the router though as the status window tells me that it is connected with 54Mbps and a full signal strength. Please someone help............

check your ip address with ipconfig, if you get all 0's or 169.254.x.x, try disabling WEP(if you have it) turn off ALL software firewalls and blocking software of all kinds and try again.

PS: Doublecheck the router IP, Linksys routers are generally 192.168.1.1 by default.

wireless still not happy?

Thanks stormbringer for your reply to my prob. Tried what you said wep is disabled and all firewalls. Checked ipconfig and get:

Ethernet adapter local area connection: media state.....:media disconnected

Ethernet adapterwireless network connection 3:

connection-specific dns suffix..:
Autoconfiguration ip address....:169.254.164.179
Subnet mask.........................:255.255.0.0
default gateway.....................:

my linksys router as you said is a defualt of 192.168.1.1 and I can get into the the router status and setup screens fine from my main pc that is connected via the ethernet connection but still no joy with my laptop and wireless connection???????

Looks like an IP address problem

I presume your router is set up to be a DHCP server. If so take note of the IP address range assigned by the router. With what you are saying your wireless card must have an IP address of 192.168.1.xxx and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. Yours currently does not.

Make sure the wireless card is set up properly. You can do this by
- right clicking "My Network Places" and choosing properties.
- click on the network connection associated with your wireless card.
- make sure the Internet Protocol(TCP/IP) properties has a check next to "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically".

Try running the program called winipcfg from the start menu. Click "more info" and you will see info about each network adapter (similar to what ipconfig provides). If your wireless adapter still does not have the correct IP address try clicking "renew" from this program. The IP address should be immediately reassigned.

Help me too!!!

I have searched in google for a thread like this, i have the exact same problem!, i have the WUSB54G router set up in my desktop installed properly and then i have my laptop that has his integrated wireless thingy it came with, i setup both to comunicate and used WEP 64 bit and both comunicate at excelent speed, but my problem is that when i use Internet Explorer in the laptop ( the one with integrated wireless connection ) it says server not found, same windows as if you connect to internet without internet, the desktop has cable modem internet at 4mb speed, and the linksys modem is setup for 11mb B type, I wonder how could I fix this problem quick before I get frustrated .

thanks

More information needed

Exactly what is your set up? Do you have a wireless router? The Linksys WUSB54G is not a router; it’s an adapter, which communicates with a router. If you do have a router, your cable modem should be plugged into the Internet (or WAN) port on the router. The router will then provide the DHCP server function and assign IP addresses to each of your computers. What do you mean when you say “the desktop has the cable modem Internet at 4MB”? Do you have your modem plugged into the Ethernet port on your desktop (it should not be)? A setup that should work for you might be as follows:

• Your cable modem is connected to the routers Internet (or WAN) port via an Ethernet cable.
  • Your desktop should be plugged into your router via an Ethernet cable. I don't see a need for your WUSB54G adapter.
  • The laptop can communicate with the router via the integrated wireless thingy.

Defective Product

I bought a wusb54g wireless usb adapter, and I couldn't enable it. Every time I tried it produced the same error code accessible by

control panel -> administrative tools -> error log(or whatever)

I screwed around with it for a long time trying different drivers, but nothing worked so I returned it in exchange for a different one. The new one worked great. The old one wouldn't enable so it had a gray icon on the toolbar, the new one enabled (icon turned green) instantly and automatically. All I had to do was plug it in because the previous driver that was installed was the correct one.

If you read around I think you'll see other posts related to defective products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back