My Computer is shutting down randomly HELP ME

Status
Not open for further replies.
As you can probably tell from the title, I am at my wits end. I could be playing a game, watching a dvd or even doing something as simple calling up a dialog box, and my computer will just click off. The confusing thing is that the computer appears to be turned off but the power light stays on and I have to hold the power button in until the light goes off before I can turn the computer on again. This is getting incredible annoying. Are there any suggestions?

I've tried swapping out the ram with new and it still does it!

My spec:
Q-Tech 550Watt Power Supply
Chaintech 7KJD Motherboard
AMD Athlon XP 2400
1Gb RAM
1x Fujitsu Hard disk 6Gb
1x Seagate Barracuda Hard Disk 80Gb
1x Seagate Barracuda Hard Disk 120Gb
1x LG Supermulti DVD Writer
3COM 10/100 Network card
Leadtek WinFast A350 (Nvidia GeForce FX9000) 128Mb
EMU 1820M Soundcard with Breakout box
Creative Webcam NX (USB)

Ohh and I haven't got a floppy disk drive anymore

My first knee-jerk reaction is cooling. Do you have anything overclocked? Good air flow? My second guess would be a failing psu perhaps. That is wierd how it just clicks off. Any beeps? When it boots back up does it try to go into safe mode or does it boot normally? Does it post okay, meaning it doesn't detect anything strange? Try booting in safe mode and see if a driver is causing the issue although this doesn't seem like a driver issue at all.

Really, it sounds like overheating, failing psu or bad mobo or bad memory. I guess you can discount the bad memory since you already swapped it. I wish I could help more. Good luck.

I dont think its cooling, all my temps are quite low and I've got plenty of fans. Although my Q-Tech power supply did cost about £30 which is dangerously cheap. I might try something a little more expensive.

I was having this same problem. I thought it might have been a problem with my memory or whatever it is called. (i'm slightly computer dumb) I only had like 2 GB's left. So i bought an external hard drive and put all of my files onto there that were taking up space. I then opened a program that usually made my computer shut down. In this case it was photoshop. I opneed alot of photos at once and yet again my computer shut down. Could it be an over heating problem? Any other suguestions? It would be greatly appriceated!

I have the same problem! its really frustrating and i have no clue what i can do about it...Did you ever find out what the problem was? My computer is going in to be fixed soon.

Update windows and all your computers drivers, you will have to do some googling and your video card driver, make sure your fans are not turning off open your case and watch them. When your computer is under alot of stress check your tempature, like when your playing a video game. Ideally it should be under 60 celcius, and never over 80. Blow out your computer and get rid of any excess dust. If this doesnt work try leaving your case open with a household fan pointed at it, if this does not solve the problem it is not a tempature issue.

Other ideas
Blow out the ram slots, clean the ram connectors on your ram stick(s) with a eraser from a pencil.

try unpluggign 1x LG Supermulti DVD Writer

then try unplugging any extra hard drives, 1 at a time

then try unplugging that web cam

Unconnect and reconnect all power plugs in your computer and all connectors coming from the mobo going to devices such as a cd rom.

Go here to make sure your computer is free from malware\viruses

https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/

Always make sure to turn off and unplug your computer before messing with it, tap the side of the case every so often to minimize the chance of a static spark.

All that advice is free stuff you can try, now if that doesn't work your going to have to swap out your power supply. If that doesn't work swap out your mobo. And finally id say to try swapping out your cpu.

If you go to newegg and buy a psu, you have 30 days to mail it back for a refund, so that would be where I would go if i began a swap out process, also they have great prices.

Make sure the power supply you swap out with meets the needs of your computer and make sure the one you are currently using meets the needs of your computer, you seem to have plenty of watts, but how about the volts? Someone else will have to tell you more about the voltage, my tech knowledge is limited. Make sure the volt requirements for all those devices you have meet up with your psu voltage.

Did you make sure that, if you have chassis fans, there is an intake and exit.(can't rememeber right now how to spell egsaust.)

Also this sounds like a psu problem for all accounts, make sure the wires are all connected, that the psu fan is turning, and that the ac plug you pulg it into (wal socket, or surge protector) supplies a steady voltage. Also that still could be a temp problem do you have cpu thermal grease? Drivers could be a problem too, does this only happen in windows? Or can you leave it in the BIOS screen?

If I am wrong feel free too correct me... I don't want to destroy another person's ENTIRE system or something like that.

Thank you.

Did you ever check the video card?

Does the screen just goes black?

Press start, U, then t, does the lights go off after awhile?

If so it is probably the Graphics Card.

Yes, as skelmen4201 said, when the computer goes off, try pressing the Windows key on the keyboard then the letter 'U' twice. That is the keyboard shortcut for shutting down the PC. See if the PC shuts down. If it does shut down, then it is probably a graphics hardware problem. I am almost sure, however, that the problem is a failing PSU. Please post back and let us know if you got the problem resolved and what was the cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back