Norton AntiVirus 2005 does not support the repair feature

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have Windox XP Media Center. I downloaded the 2005 Norton AntiVirus on 1-6-05 and keep getting the following error.

"norton antivirus 2005 does not support repair feature. please reinstall"

I gone to a couple of tech websites and found that Norton designed this program so that you couldn't move the Icon from the Start menu nor install the program in any other place except the All Programs root file. Also I found that if you uninstall and reinstall you still run into the same problem anyway.

I'm not very good at all this technical stuff and am not one to change things around, the icon is still in the start menu and the program was installed in the All programs root file and I get this error message anyway.

Can someone give me some ideas.

same problem, your thread helped me out!

I got the same problem as you. I dragged my "norton antivirus startmenu folder" into another folder in the start menu and the problem as you mentioned started (when for instance I start MS word 2003 I got the same message, very anoying). After I read your message I decided to just drag the folder back to where it came from in the start menu. My problems ended there right away (when I tried again moving around the antivirus folder the problems again started).

I guess in your case unstalling and reinstalling should do the trick. Make sure all the folders and shortcuts from norton antivirus are removed as well. You can do this best by looking in:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Menu Start
C:\Documents and Settings\user1\Menu Start
C:\Documents and Settings\........\Menu Start
etc.

and for every user remove the shortcuts. I think then reinstalling should be possible without having again the same problems.

I hope it works out fine for you.
Good luck.
Greetings Leo

I too had this problem. THIS FIX WILL ALLOW YOU TO PUT THE NORTON SHORTCUT WHEREVER YOU WANT. You do not necessarily have to move the shortcut to its original location.

You need to disable the plug-in for Office 2000 or Office XP

1. Start Norton AntiVirus.
If Norton AntiVirus is part of Norton Internet Security or Norton SystemWorks, then start that program.
2. Click Options.
3. In the left pane, click Miscellaneous.
4. In the right pane, under "How to keep Microsoft Office documents protected," uncheck Enable Office plug-in.
5. Click OK

NOrton AntiVirus 2005 does not support the....

i got the same problem as you; but it happens when i start an office document and at the windows startup

i've done the cheech fix and it works: no problem whith office, but i had to change the dir of norton to All programs base again (I dragged my norton antivirus startmenu folder into another folder in the start menu too).

whith these two operations i have no problems. :giddy:

Fix for: Norton AntiVirus 2005 does not support the repair feature

To fix the problem, you can edit the Registry.
Disclaimer: If you aren't comfortable editing the registry, DON'T DO IT!

My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Norton AntiVirus
Change ShortcutPath to the new location of the shortcut, e.g., C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus

About these errors

Well, I've changed my start menu links but haven't tried restarting yet to see if the error persists. My big concern is that most of you are turning to disabling features that protect your system just to get rid of a error message. I might add that there are lots of ways to get viruses and bugs through MS Office and the justification of lessening security instead of putting up with it for a while is not any kind of solution!

Next, if the problem can be as simple as moving around start menu links why would Symantec allow it to happen as such a "dramatic" error!

I really hope Symantec doesn't turn into Micro$oft and for years have to come out with fixes for an unreliable product because they cut corners all over the place!

Rob Sitter
[Edmonton]

None of the solutions I've found have helped at all... I've tried everything.
I've been getting this error (3x) on startup since I installed service pack 2. Not only that, but often when I attempt to install completely unrelated software, instead of the desired installation, it tries to repair norton...and fails with the same error.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back