Help with STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x804EE3D73, 0xF897D60C, 0x00000000)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lookacow63

After I install a new 160 GB HDD, I get a BSOD after about 60 seconds of booting, right around the username screen. My BIOS are Award 6.0.1, and they aren't getting back to me as to updates. What does this STOP Error mean?

STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x804EE3D73, 0xF897D60C, 0x00000000)

Any help is needed. I have a minidump file, but how do I use it to figure stuff out?

Go HERE and take a look at the explanation of your error message.

Just scoll down the page to your particular error message.

Probably due to a hardware compatability issue.

If you go to your mobo manufacturers website you may be able to download a bios update.

Regards Howard :cool:

Thanks Hopsinki

I checked with Award, the maker of the mobo and they are supposed to be contacting me with BIOS update info, but I have yet to get any response.
Thanks for the help so far.

correction:

The BIOS are by Award.

Here is all the info I can come up with about the system itself. I don't know the mobo manufacturer unless it's VIA or Award.

OS Name: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
System Name: PHILSCOMP
System Manufacturer: VIA Technologies, Inc.
System Model: VT8363
System Type: X86-based PC
Processor: x86 Family 6 Model 4 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~1050 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date: Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG, 7/5/2001
SMBIOS Version: 2.3
Windows Directory: C:\WINDOWS
System Directory: C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device: \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale: United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer: Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
User Name: PHILSCOMP\Default
Time Zone: Eastern Standard Time
Total Physical Memory: 511.43 MB
Available Physical Memory: 250.89 MB
Total Virtual Memory: 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory: 1.96 GB
Page File Space 865.61 MB

system specs updated

Thanks Howard for the Everest link. Any more help now with what I can do? I really want to get this new HDD up and running so I can focus my time elsewhere. Thanks for your help so far, keep it coming.

Andy

BIOS update problem

Alright, so I bought a BIOS update to try and take care of the HDD problem. But I need to make a boot disk, and have found out that my floppies don't work. They show up in my computer, and show ok in device manager, but if I put in a disk and try to open or format it, it gives me the 'a:\ not accessible'. I tried to use a usb drive and it didn't work either. Any idea how to fix that or to make a cdrom boot disk?

Bios done, but still problems

thanks samstoned, it worked to update the bios via bootable cd, but i still have the problem of my floppies not working. the microsoft support site said the only cause is by incompatible disks. so i reformated some on a different XP system and they still dont' work. any help?

Are you using nVidia display card? As I know outdated nVidia Display card driver may cause bugcheck 8E.

Thanks

Thanks a lot to all of you! The nvidia driver took care of the 3.5" floppies.
So after I tried everything you guys said I thought "Hmmm...maybe i'll see if it boots in safe mode." (something that I should have tried a long time ago...) and it did. So then I formatted the new HDD in safe mode and rebooted and it works perfectly fine now! I wish it would have been that easy a loooonnngg time ago.

So thanks to all of you who offered your advice, and maybe next time you'll say 'Hey, try safe mode.' to all of the amateurs out there like me.

peace, andy

xp can sometimes be fussy with drives of over 120gig you may need to enable LBA mode in the registry or you may start to get probs with drive i did

To make use of the space beyond the old 137-GB limit, Windows XP SP1 uses 48-bit logical block addressing (LBA). Unfortunately, the processes that write the memory dump and Hibernation/Standby files do not write their data to the disk using 48-bit LBA. Moreover, when a Windows XP SP1 system with 48-bit LBA enabled enters Hibernation, Windows fails to issue a flush cache command to the IDE system's cache. As a result, any information still in the cache won't be written to the disk.

There are a number of symptoms that you can watch for to determine whether you're suffering from this flaw. If your system restarts rather than waking up from Hibernation, or if you experience data corruption upon entering Hibernation/Standby mode or after a memory dump or stop error, you may be afflicted. Data corruption can manifest itself in a variety of ways including problems starting the system, shutting down the system, running programs, or opening and/or saving files.XP SP2 FIXES THIS PROBLEM or you candowload the patch To obtain the patch for the 32-bit editions of Windows XP, download it from Microsoft's Web site. There is a different patch for the 64-bit 2002 edition of Windows XP that you can download and install separately. here is the link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...5f-4483-4edc-a17e-6f659a033b0d&DisplayLang=en

BUMP,

Having this issue on -

Windows XP Home SP2
Drive: 3x 250GB (238GB Accessible on each)
CPU: Intel Pentium D 965
MOBO: P5WD2-E Premium (604 BIOS)
RAM: 2GB DDR2-800
GFX: nVidia 8800GTX XXX Edition - by XFX

My problem however only started happening AFTER replacing my old HDD, I used to have a 500watt HDD - It recently passed away :(... I replaced it with a Thermaltake Toughpower 750w and the problems started happening.

I thought it may be a cooling issue - however i have tried adding 3 new fans to the system , 1 on HDD's, 1 on south bridge and 1 on north bridge... this and no effect to the system so i got rid of them encase it was assisting the issue.

The main change in the system was from 4 pin motherboard power ti 8 pin motherboard power. I am concerned that this is the problem - in which case there isn't anything I can do to help it..... Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back