The empty-unempty Recycle Bin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I've been having this prob with the Recycle Bin. Whenever I empty the files, it gets permanently deleted even though I've chosen the option for the deleted files to get dumped in the Recycle Bin. Then when I try emptying the recycle bin, and after that's done, the icon still shows the full recycle bin icon. I run on Windows 2000 and this is kinda frustrating.

Before this, I had left the Recycle bin with some unwanted files and hadn't deleted it for a while, then when I went into the Bin to retrieve something, everything's gone even though I hadn't emptied it.

Help? :(

This is probbly the problem .Disconnect from the net and temporaly disable norton see if you can empty it than ..

Than check back here.

By default Norton purges ALL files in the recycle bin after a set period of time. to change this or to disable Norton Protected recycle bin simply right click the recycle bin and choose properties then click on the Norton protected tab. there you can either disable Norton recycle bin protection or set the time period you want before files are permanantly purged.

iss said:
By default Norton purges ALL files in the recycle bin after a set period of time. to change this or to disable Norton Protected recycle bin simply right click the recycle bin and choose properties then click on the Norton protected tab. there you can either disable Norton recycle bin protection or set the time period you want before files are permanantly purged.

Aha, now that's the other odd thing, I had done the right click before, but it seems that Norton isn't protecting my recycle bin.

Thanks for the help...

:(

same problem, any solutions yet?

I am having similar problems with my recycle bin icon not showing empty. I also have Norton AV 2005 installed but removed the recycle bin protection (is there really any need to confirm emptying things several times?!).

I have even tried reseting the icons to default but still no joy.

Anyone have any suggestions?!

Cheers,

Well, somehow the prob with my Recycle bin has been solved.

How?

Have no idea, I just stuffed my PC at the tech expert in the house. He pkayed around with some stuff and ran CMD. He discovered about 500MB worth of files in my Recycler Bin which weren't showing up for some reason and deleted them through CMD. After I rebooted, it's perfectly fine now.

All I have to worry about is my one last MAJOR problem, for another funny reason, once a day, my PC will have a DNS prob and won't connect to the internet. Once I reboot, it's fine. :confused:

on the empty not empty recycle bin. have you by any chance had a usb Hard drive connected to the machine and deleted files from that device then disconnected it? if you have then this may be where the files came from. if I delete files from one of my usb hard drives then disconnect it without deleting thos files from the recycle bin first then my recycle bin shows full but when I open it there are no files in it.

no, i didnt have an external drive connected, but thanks for trying:) The problem is connected with the norton protected recycle bin, i turned the feature off and after that i have had this problem.

I have since found a hidden folder inside the recycler folder called "nprotect' I tried deleting this folder and rebooting, but the problem still exists, it's more of an annoyance really, just bugging me!

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back