Radeon 9800PRO help and alot of other questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostfuze

Ok, so i'm in a big dilemma and having a hard time finding help. I thought this would be the appropriate forum since it all revolves around the ATI Radeon 9800PRO.

Currently, I have an eMachines Celeron 2.50GHz, 256MB RAM, 60GB HDD, and Intel Extreme Graphics card. My biggest problem is that I do not have an AGP or PCI-E slot in my mobo. So I was just going to go with a FX5200 PCI but figured it would just end up being a waste of money.

Here is my biggest question...

If I buy a new motherboard, case, 512MB RAM, Windows XP and Radeon 9800PRO can I just gut out my eMachines and use the CPU, DVD/CD-RW Drive, and HDD in the new case? Is the CPU and HDD tied to one system, or can I switch it without ANY problems? (This is really important guys, so please give me as much info as you can on whether or not I can do this.)

My next question...

I see a 9800PRO on NewEgg for about $200 -- is this the BEST card in the $200 price range? When I say $200, I mean nothing over $210. :haha:

Also...

I've heard something about overclocking a video card, and noticed you have to have alot of fans and cooling to do it or you will fry your card. Is overclocking the 9800PRO safe if I have proper cooling? I only plan on doing this in the future if it doesnt run games like Battlefield 2 properly. Any info on how this works would be great.

Alright, well those are all of my questions for now. If you need anymore info from me, feel free to ask.

- justin

(Oh yea, the reason i'm not buying a whole brand new system - which is the easy way out - is because I only have about $350. I'm starting college in the fall, and money is VERY limited.)

You can gut your emachines. Just make sure the motherboard you buy will work with your current processor. Just rebuild it with the new parts, and reformat, and you should be good to go. ( anyone correct me if im wrong ).

I did something pretty similar, with an emachines as well, except I got a new motherboard, and processor, but used the same ram/hard drives/etc.

The 9800PRO is in my opinion the best card in that price range for sure. I'm pretty sure the 9800PRO will run BF2 fine. It runs HL2 flawlessly. Hope this helps. :bounce:

Thanks man! Definitely helped.

I have the Intel 845GV CPU, so would that mean I need to get this motherboard: PCCHIPS "M-909G" i845GV Chipset Motherboard For Intel Socket 478 CPU (Look at it on NewEgg.. I couldnt link)

AGPro can take AGP 8x/4x cards, right?

lostfuze said:
AGPro can take AGP 8x/4x cards, right?
I am wondering why you are asking about an AGP Pro slot. Unless I missed something, you would be far better of getting a motherboard with 8x AGP, or at least 4x. From what research I have done, an AGP Pro card will be very expensive, if you can even find one.

And here is a quote from T/S Thomas here at TechSpot in another thread that explains AGP Pro. Take notice of the last two sentences.

Anandtech has this up;

AGP Pro is an extension of the AGP4X specification that is primarily designed to deliver additional electrical power to the graphics add-in cards. The AGP Pro definition includes an extended connector, thermal envelope, and mechanical specifications for cards, I/O brackets, and motherboard layout requirements. It is designed for professional level video cards, such as the Intergraph/3Dlabs Wildcat 4220.

AGP Pro extends the existing AGP connectors on both ends to deliver additional power on the 12 V and 3.3 V rails. AGP Pro is intended to supplement, but not replace, the existing AGP connector set. There are an additional 20 pins at the start and 28 pins at the end of the normal AGP slot.

An AGP Pro slot will accept and operate with standard AGP cards (although certain restrictions apply in the case of i845 and i850 motherboards). AGP Pro cards however, are not compatible with standard AGP4X slots.

The common AGP slot can supply up to 25 watts of power to a video card. AGP Pro introduces two additional AGP card types that can consume more than 25 watts.

Low Power AGP Pro cards that consume 25 to 50 Watts of power are classified as AGP Pro50 cards. In addition, the AGP Pro standard calls for at least one PCI slot to remain unoccupied adjacent to the AGP Pro50 card for cooling purposes.

A High Power AGP Pro card consumes 50 to 110 Watts of power, and is called an AGP Pro110 card. The standard requires at least 2 PCI slots to remain unoccupied adjacent to the AGP Pro110 card for cooling purposes.

There is no performance difference between AGP4X and AGP Pro.

There are currently no consumer level AGP Pro video cards.
One other thing. I'm sure the 9800 Pro will play about any game in the near future pretty well as it is, without overclocking. In my opinion, at least, if your card won't play a game the way you want it to, overclocking will make some difference, but not by a huge amount.

hey olefarte..
"I'm sure the 9800 Pro will play about any game in the near future pretty well as it is, without overclocking"

if you would have said this about 1-2 years ago, i would have believed it but now i am not so sure,9800 used to be the pinnacle of performance for any game, its benchmark was taken as the ceiling but that was about 2 years ago,now with geforce 6800 and pci express interface would wipe the floor with 9800.geforce 6800 has shader model 3.0 while ati's top model still run shader model 2.0 and say there is no need to upgrade.a 6800 gpu has around 230 million transistors on it while the latest intel presscott only has 150-170 million.so i would only like to say that 9800rpo might play any game in the near future but also a geforce 2mx at what speeds and at what resolution remains to be seen.

now to lostfuze....first of all you can get an agp version of 6600 gt with 256 mb with ddr2 interface(not gddr3 mind you) for around 170$ form newegg i think,it should give you the biggest bang for the buck,but you'll soon realise the plunders of bottle necking your celeron would not be able to keep up with your system and hold it back.as for your other questions yes you can cannibalize your old emachine pc with out any problem its hdd and dvd drive should work without a hitch,while considering the processor you should get a 478 pin socket for a celeron,the 845gv is only the chipset name of your mobo,just dont get the newer lga775 based with anything like 915/925x mobo they wont work with your old processor.thats pretty much it,I should however advise you that the processor should be much higher on your list of priorities than a newer video card.c'mon its the heart of your pc.

hope this helps.

shadow_29, I don't disagree with anything you said. I know the 9800 Pro won't play all games at the highest settings, but that's what he was asking about. But, I just went from a 9700 Pro to a 6800 GT, and the 9700 Pro would play most games at high or near high settings, at a reasonalble FPS, even Far Cry and Half-Life 2, that's led me to make my comments.

ok......olfarte.i get it,but if you say that you've gone from a 9700 to a 6800 gt(which rocks by the way....lucky you)you havent realised that if you try playing them with aa and af(anti-aliasing and antistropic filtering)on, you'll notice a whole deal of difference between the 2 cards.as for the future,this aa and af is going to get even more standard and necessary for new and upcoming games.they are going to be required along with features like shader model 2.0,16 pipeline,an insanely fast interface between the memory and gpu (gddr3...ring a bell).things are going to get demanding so....the bottom line no one knows what are going to be the requirements of future games,if all these cards would run the game ...then probably should but at what frames like I said "remains to be seen".

thats it......nice to chat with you.

Again, I agree. But I do use AA and AF, and I do notice the difference. Hey, I better, this 6800 GT OC cost me $400. For that, I had better see some difference. Heh Heh.

ya,it costed you a cool 400$ but it will outlast your 9700 pro and would serve you better for a longer time.so geforce 6800 gt oc (which rocks by the way.....did i already say that,well then it rocks again)would/should outlast a 9700 pro.

thats it.

like i said nice to chat with you.

shadow_29 said:
hey olefarte..
"I'm sure the 9800 Pro will play about any game in the near future pretty well as it is, without overclocking"

if you would have said this about 1-2 years ago, i would have believed it but now i am not so sure,9800 used to be the pinnacle of performance for any game, its benchmark was taken as the ceiling but that was about 2 years ago,now with geforce 6800 and pci express interface would wipe the floor with 9800.geforce 6800 has shader model 3.0 while ati's top model still run shader model 2.0 and say there is no need to upgrade.a 6800 gpu has around 230 million transistors on it while the latest intel presscott only has 150-170 million.so i would only like to say that 9800rpo might play any game in the near future but also a geforce 2mx at what speeds and at what resolution remains to be seen.

now to lostfuze....first of all you can get an agp version of 6600 gt with 256 mb with ddr2 interface(not gddr3 mind you) for around 170$ form newegg i think,it should give you the biggest bang for the buck,but you'll soon realise the plunders of bottle necking your celeron would not be able to keep up with your system and hold it back.as for your other questions yes you can cannibalize your old emachine pc with out any problem its hdd and dvd drive should work without a hitch,while considering the processor you should get a 478 pin socket for a celeron,the 845gv is only the chipset name of your mobo,just dont get the newer lga775 based with anything like 915/925x mobo they wont work with your old processor.thats pretty much it,I should however advise you that the processor should be much higher on your list of priorities than a newer video card.c'mon its the heart of your pc.

hope this helps.

Thanks alot shadow... and the reason i'm not upgrading my CPU at the moment is because I can not afford a good one. I was planning on buying a 478 socket motherboard, and in 6-7 months upgrade my CPU and HDD. So right now I can get the case, motherboard, graphics card, and really make my computer fast when I have more money. :cool:

After seeing my problem, do you guys think it would be wise to just buy a GeForce FX 5200 256MB PCI card and 512MB RAM to add to my current machine and just make a whole new computer in a year and a half or so?

thanks

Hey 'lostfuze...

Just a note about switching MoBoards with an eMachine hard-drive...

The eMachine OEM Windows that comes with the hard-drive/'restore-cd' combo will NOT recognize a new motherboard.

I was going to do the same thing with my eMachine, so I called Msoft and was told that eMachines windows is NOT transferable to any other MoBoard or machine, as far as licensing goes, or the software set-up of eMachine Windows version. They split the O.S. (operating system ie...WinXP)files up from the'restore discs' that come with the eMachine...and a 'ghost' partition on the hard drive that comes with the eMachine.

And neither the restore cd's, nor the eMachine HDrive will recognize a new motherboard. (unless you get rid of the 'ghost' partition ) but even then, the restore cd's will not be able to install Windows on a new MoBoard.(new HDrive or not) because they don't have all the necessary files.

I called and talked with an eMachines tech, and they said exactly the same thing. The HDrive/'restore cd's' will only work with EXACTLY the same MoBoard as far as they're concerned.

So, to make a long story just a little longer, don't get a new MoBoard UNLESS you have a new O.S. to go along with it.

And the OEM( read cheaper, but will work) version of MS Windows XP runs about $92 bucks at NewEgg.com.

Hope that helps....I'd hate to see you buy a new MoBoard and card...and not be able to use them...

peace..

PS, I just re-read your post, and you mentioned a new XP on your list, so you apparantly are already aware of the issue...my bad. :angel:

My blood just gets a little 'boiled' on this issue...you pay for an OS...and arent allowed to put in your your OWN new machine...not even just a new MoBoard !

I think Im gonna go re-read Phantasm66 M$oft jokes post again https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic991.html to settle my spirits... :blackeye: be back later...

hey lostfuze,ok i get it what you are trying to do.if you want to upgrade now its fine,you'll still be able to play a ton of games right now.but i would like to point out again that you should consider a geforce 6600 256 mb ddr2 card from newegg going for 170$ rather than an old weak fx5200.the performance difference between the two is very high.fx 5200 is based on the fx 5600 line released 3 years ago,getting a 256 mb would anly help load more and more in your texture memor-it would not make the games run fast(fps count).however a geforce 6600 released about 6-7 months ago based on 6800 gpu would absolutely demolish any game inits path,hitting if not the highest but the 2nd or 3rd highest frame speed available in the market.and when you do decide to upgrade your cpu(6-7months or whatever)it will still be one of the best cardss in the market and a good combination for your system.so whatever you do get the geforce 6600 gt 256mb ddr2 card,it might cost a bit more than your current pick(fx 5200)but every penny would be worth it.
so go ahead and get this stuff (mobo,ram and card)now and you can get a new cpu down the line in 6-7 months to push your rig even further in terms of performance.just get a good mobo with lots of features,fast ram,geforce 6600 gt.

Well after talking to emachines and MS about replacing my motherboard, they said I would have to buy a new copy of Windows XP.

So I just ordered a 5700LE PCI card for under $100 that should hold me over until I can buy a whole new computer. It sucks, but if it really doesnt do anything for me i'm going to return it and get my money back. After thinking about it, buying a new win xp copy for $100 would just be a waste of money and not worth it at the moment.

If this 5700LE ends up being a bust, ill still have the option to go down the new mobo, case, win xp, and agp card road! I'm DEFINETELY getting the 6600GT if this cheapo card doesnt do it for me. :)

Thanks again for all of the help guys.. ill update you on how the 5700LE is, if it even works in my crappy system. :X

cool....

Let us know what you end up with.

By the way, whereabouts in Mich are you ? Im from G.Rapids area, but have lived all over the state. Love the Holland -Grand Haven beach stretches.

peace..

Hey,

I'm in the Downriver Area. Taylor is the city, and it's near Detroit, Dearborn, etc.

I have a cousin who lives in Grand Rapids, but was recently deployed to Iraq with the Army. Always had fun went I went up there to visit him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back