Explorer: Trouble saving jpegs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nazobyte

I have this little weird problem that comes and goes and it is just about starting to get on my nerves now. When i right-click to save an image from the web in Internet Explorer (v6), i choose 'save picture as' and i am presented *only*- with the option to save the image as a Bitmap, and the images filename does not appear only the name 'untitled'??? This happened within the space of a couple of hours of surfing when i was one minute able to save as jpgs and then the next minute i got this problem? I didnt even change any settings it just happened while surfing?

Now i did a bit of research and the only suggestion that i found was to clear you temporary internet files out because it may be a cache restriction. I tried this and then rebooted but it didnt solve the dilemma :mad:
I have also manually typed in the jpg extention which isnt much good because the files still save the same size as a BMP?

Any suggestions would be most welcome, no doubt some of you slueths have probably solved this one before.

Well, I don't have much an answer.

But different pictures save in different formats. For example, the "Forums TechSpot.com" logo in the left, top corner of the screen will only save as bitmap or gif while the advertisement currentlying being served can only be saved as BMP.

Only JPG images can be saved as JPG. So make sure you are trying to save JPG images when you want the JPG option.

Try right clicking the picture you're going to download - and to properties. Check the file extension on it. If it's .bmp, you're going to save it as a .bmp. If it's a .jpg, you're going to save it as a .jpg.

If you really really need the picture you're saving as a .jpg, take a screenshot, paste it into a .jpg compatible picture program, isolate the picture (delete everything else) and save it as .jpg.

Or just get a good .bmp - .jpg converter :eek:

Fraid not guys

Ok guys, poor answers so far :dead:

Jpegs & Gifs will not save as Jpegs or Gifs for me, only option i get is to save as Bitmap.

Rick: Obviously i know that different pictures save in different formats, my problem is *not* one related to net-naivity. My problem as explained is that my 'right-click save-as utility' in Explorer, will not let me save an image as anything other than a Bitmap. Its a fact that no images on the Internet are in 'Bitmap format' because Bitmaps cannot be uploaded to the Internet anyway , subsequently you will find the most common formats are Gif or Jpeg, which i have lately discovered (for some strange reason) that i cannot save :confused:

Vehementi: I shouldnt have to take screenshots and all that guff, i should just simply be able to save a jpeg as a jpeg, or gif as gif. A bmp to jpeg converter defeats the object of what i am trying to do as the 'right-click save-as' utility' should do this anyway??????

TS Thomas: Sorry mate but if you read my first post you would see that i already tried that one, thanks anyway :(

Anybody else got a suggestion on how to mend this? Rather than alternative processes? It has to be some kind of IE fault or bug?

Please h3lp :confused:

Try right clicking on the link, or thumbnail that takes you to the image. choose "save target as" from the menu. see if it will let you save it as a jpg that way.

I had a problem like that in IE5, I never figured out what it was and it was not as extensive as yours. I could sometimes save files as jpg and sometimes could not, even though the image was a jpg. Using the "save target as" worked for me though.

Stormbringer: I had a problem like that in IE5, I never figured out what it was and it was not as extensive as yours. I could sometimes save files as jpg and sometimes could not, even though the image was a jpg. Using the "save target as" worked for me though.
Try right clicking on the link, or thumbnail that takes you to the image. choose "save target as" from the menu. see if it will let you save it as a jpg that way.

Your explanation of your similair predicament doesnt sound different from my current one, in fact it sounds just like my problem StormB, but i attempted to try your 'Save Target As' suggestion and it seems to be disabled (i.e imprinted in the right-click menu) :confused:

hmmmm?

Its a long shot, and i'm no expert but how about fiddling with IE's Internet Options > Advanced > Multimedia ...

Try ticking/unticking a few options there...

:confused:

As a last resort, you can attempt to reinstall Internet Explorer. I cannot remember or find the run command that I used to use (easy way), but you can get more info at http://search.support.microsoft.com . I think they have a program that reinstalls IE6 for you, or lets you repair it from add/remove programs.

You can repair any corrupted system files (including Internet explorer) by typing this in start/run:

sfc /scannow

You'll need the original CD of course. This program will replace any corrupted system files with the original copies. This could be causing your problems... It's worth a shot.

Until then, you might want to use another browser to save your images such as Mozilla ( www.mozilla.org ) or Netscape 6.2 ( www.netscape.com )

Bitmaps cannot be uploaded to the Internet anyway
Not true. You can upload anyting you would like... But I certainly don't recommend using BMP as your primary picture type. :) If the need is urgent, you can use a different browser as I mentioned above or use MS paint... While hardly an ideal tool for saving as JPEG and GIF, MS paint on Windows XP DOES let you save as GIF and JPG. This is a good alternative to BMP files anyday.

SUCCESS!

Hey - thanks for the link StormB (or thanks to Rick for supplying the tipoff ;) ), i got my jpeg option back! :grinthumb

The link to which i had in my favourites for the site that i have been having trouble attempting to save the images from contained a:

<username:password> - element in the URL

I logged in from the sign in screen rather than from the url in my favourites and now i can save the images in their proper format, cool :cool:

Thanks for the help, and i hope you figure out another method on how to solve it for yourself, strange that you should suddenly have the very same problem :confused: , lol

Ok thanks for all your suggestions people, much appreciated :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back