PCI-Express - better than AGP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vega

I'm currently in the middle of a major upgrade which involves the purchase of a new case, mobo, gfx card and memory - I currently own an agp leadtek 128 meg 6800 which I had planned to keep but a friend told me that if I'm upgrading most of my major components, I might as well go the whole hog and base it around a pci-express mobo and gfx card as they are significantly faster than a regular agp system - can anyone tell me if this is so?

Yes your friend is riight. If you are going to upgrade your MOBO then go for one that supports PCI Express.

Stelios

Pci express is better(more bandwidth), but the problem is graphics cards really don't need any more bandwidth than what agp 8x offers. If you have the money, then go ahead and get pci-e, then you'll be more future upgrade ready. But if you are on a budget, then consider getting a good agp mobo and keeping your current card. Agp isn't dead yet.

There is almost no difference between a 6800 AGP & a 6800 PCI-e. Actually nVidia & ATI cheat by making the PCI-e version of those cards faster (as in higher clocked Core/Mem) to make it seem like the PCI-e bus makes the card faster but that's not true.

AGP8x had a lot more bandwidth then necessary so PCI-e just provides more "waisted" bandwidth.

I just did a major updrade of a motherboard, cpu and memory. As I already have a 6800GT, almost new, I didn't see the need nor could I afford to go to PCI-E and buy another video card. I'm going to wait until my next upgrade to go that route, besides, by then I probably won't have any choice but to go PCI-E. And as others above have said, from what I've read, there is not that much advantage, if any to PCI-E at the present time.

Bottom line, if you can afford to buy a new video card also, go for it, and you will be ready for the future.

I'm still making my mind up on the matter but thanks to your input, I'm a little more 'enlightened' - I'll check up on prices (budgets tight) and'll let you know what I'm plumping for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back