Moving an old hard drive to a new computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Help Needed: Moving an old hard drive to a new computer

I have a new computer and want to move my old secondary hard drive to my new computer (again acting as a secondary drive). Once i have installed the drive, the drive is recognised in the bios but upon entering windows it does not automatically appear. I can find the drive in the Disk Management part of Computer Management screen but it says the disk is dynamic and needs to be changed to Basic, but doing this will make me lose all the data on the hard drive. I need this data.
Is there any way of getting the drive to work without losing the data?
Thanks

put the HD back into ur old computer, then:

put ur new HD on ur old computer, and transfer the files accross

put it in a friends computer, get him to back the files onto their HD then, put his HD on ur computer

network the two computers together and transfer the files across

if ur old computer has a cd burner, make a heap of Cdr's with all the files spread across them

thats all i can think of for now
have fun!
p.s try the networkin one first

Upgrading to a dynamic disk is a one-way process. Although it's possible to convert a dynamic disk with volumes to a basic disk, you'll lose all your data. Therefore, you must first save your data, convert the disk to basic, and then restore your data.
here's a cheat that mey work
since you can see in management try to go to properties add sharing add new name
then go to network and try to map as network drive
another place says you can by doing this
HOWTO: Convert a dynamic disk back to a basic disk without data loss
Posted By: o2

**Disclaimer: This ONLY works if you have NOT used ANY of the "new" features of dynamic disks such as extending a partition or software RAID. This is an expert-level procedure, so if you don't know what you are doing, you shouldn't be attempting this.**

1) Install dskprobe.exe on the system. (This is one of the utilities in the Windows 2000 support tools on the install CD, and can be installed by simply copying the .exe file to the hard drive.)
2) Run dskprobe.exe on the system.
3) Select the Drives menu and "Physical Drive. . ."
4) Double click on the drive that you want to convert back to a basic disk. Click the "Set Active" button next to that drive.
5) From the Sectors menu, select "Read"
6) Accept the defaults (begin sector 0, read 1 sector) and click "Read"
7) In the editor, go to the "01C0" line and the third bit should be a "42". Change that to a "07". **Note, a few machines have had this on the "01D0" line instead. I don't know what that means, so I wouldn't try it unless it is on a pure test box. *****
8) From the Sectors menu, select "Write". Confirm all dialog boxes. **Note: This is the step that will hose your box if you have not followed the above instructions correctly.**
9) Exit dskprobe.exe. Reboot
10) Run chkdsk on the affected logical drive(s). If any errors are found, do a chkdsk /f to fix them. Done.

Are you running XP on the new machine ? ?
If so before you try anything drastic on the drive make sure it is still jumpered as slave , Boot up and rite clik My Computer and go to Manage and see if the drive is picked up there by XP.

patio. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back