Western Digital, Seagate, and Maxtor all go to 1 year warranties...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vehementi

Seagate, Western Digital to cut warranties too
by Mike Magee: Saturday 14 September 2002, 10:39
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=5392
SYSTEM INTEGRATORS were told earlier this week that from October the 1st, some of their warranties on IDE drives will be cut from three years to one year.
That follows an earlier, similar announcement from Maxtor, which we reported earlier in the month.

The Western Digital Caviar drive warranty is being reduced to one year, but the Caviar SE warranty will stay at three years.

Seagate has reduced warranties on its IDE Barracuda IV and V series to one year.

Seems we're stuck with only one manufacturer supporting 3 year warranties...how ironic :(

Terrible...just terrible. I can't believe it...

IBM. I think Samsung does too. It's ironic because the Deskstar models of IBM drives are now nicknamed the Deathstars. :p

Don't get me wrong though, I wouldn't buy an IBM drive if it were $30 cheaper than a HDD of the same speed/capacity by WD or Seagate.

Business

I won't be buy any drives with a one year warranty. I have had 2 drives go out since I have had a computer back in 94. One after 2 years and 364 days and another one some time in it's second year.

A one year warranty is simple not enough and I can't trust a company that can't back up its products. To me this means they don't believe their hard drives can last longer then a year. Wheater this is true not doesn't matter to me.

Larry

Agreed labuerkle, but keep in mind not all of the models made by these drive companies are 1 year warranties. I think WD's only warranty cut was on the Caviar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back