System shuts off suddenly shortly after power-on

Status
Not open for further replies.
All right, I'm having a problem that has me stumped, and I can't think of a cheap way to troubleshoot... so here I am.

Now, as you can tell from the title of this thread, my computer powers off right after I turn it on. Sometimes it will boot up Windows just fine, only to have it turn off automatically after 10 minutes or so... but 9 outta 10 times, the system won't even stay on for more than a second.

Naturally, I thought it was a shoddy PSU... so I swapped it out with a PSU from my other machine... same problem. (?!)

Next, I tried unplugging each of my drives/HDs, one by one... maybe they were causing the prob somehow? Nope...

Now I was able to get into my BIOs briefly before my last crash. I checked my PC Health settings, and everything checks out. My fans are spinning properly and my CPU seems to be staying at a cool 30 degrees C. Now I have had a fan make some noise once in a while, but not enough to get me worried. (No, I don't know which fan) When I power on, all fans spin nicely... then the system just shuts off... usually before POST. BAH!

On the rare occasions it lets me into Windows, my logs show no problems... not even an "Unexpected Shutdown" error... Windows doesn't even try to check the disk for errors during boot... you know, like it normally does after an improper shutdown.

Ok, here's my specs:

Gigabyte MB with a AMD 64 3200+ CPU
1 gig o' RAM (2 matching Kingston 512s)
Seagate 120gig SATA HD
GForce FX 5700 video
SB Audigy2 Platnium sound

The system was assembled by me in Oct. 2004... it hasn't given me any trouble until now. I keep it dust free, in and out... no dust on the inside that I can see... and I haven't made any hardware upgrades in months. I'm out of ideas. :confused:

the problematic component is highly likely to be the motherboard. don't worry, because you wiseley built your own and avioded buying an oem build. consequently, you should to be able to choose from a wide selection of replacement boards at competitive proces. good luck.

True or not, that wasn't the answer I was hoping for... I was hoping for something cheaper and faster... like fans.

As said before, I have had a fan make noise in the past... could a fan not spinning fast enough cause this manner of problem?

Or maybe more ideas?

I have been suffering the same problem for quite some time....I checked everything...downloaded HDD temperature and was not over heating....Someone told me to do the following and it worked....I have WinXP home....."reboot your system...before anything boots up again...press F8...on this screen choose "do not restart on system failure" ...I have no idea why this worked...Just know it did....Haven't shut down randomly since....Hope it is of help to others....I was ready to throw my PC out the door....LOL...

your problem is not heat-related because you said it sometimes crashes within seconds; therefore fans have nothing to do with the problem.

See I am having he same problem with my pc. only it stays on for about 10 minuts or so then OFF IT GOES! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.........plz.

PC_SLAYER
Ever heard of faulty power supplies?
It's probably a crappy PSU that came with the case. These units are not even worth $2.- scrapvalue. Too light (less than 4 pounds/1.9 kg), not enough REAL sustained power.
Your PC would need around the 420W minimum.

Otherwise, do as your name says....

Help

I HAVE BEEN SUFERING SOMETHING CLOSE TO WHAT YOU HAVE! :bounce:

EXCEPT EVERYTHING ON MY RIG IS BRAND NEW ASSEMBLEED AT MY FRIENDS HOUSE WORKS GREAT OVER THERE BRING IT HOME HOOK IT UP TO MY MOUSE ,MOITOR AND KEYBOARD AND THE DAMN THING REBOOTS AFTER 10-15MIN OF USE ANYONE GOT ANY CLUE WHAT THE DEAL IS :confused:

parlee1980 said:
I HAVE BEEN SUFERING SOMETHING CLOSE TO WHAT YOU HAVE! :bounce:

EXCEPT EVERYTHING ON MY RIG IS BRAND NEW ASSEMBLEED AT MY FRIENDS HOUSE WORKS GREAT OVER THERE BRING IT HOME HOOK IT UP TO MY MOUSE ,MOITOR AND KEYBOARD AND THE DAMN THING REBOOTS AFTER 10-15MIN OF USE ANYONE GOT ANY CLUE WHAT THE DEAL IS :confused:
could be hte power at your place is not as stable. it may flucuate doto house wireing or street side. is it OCed

are the outlets used in both locations properly wired? (do they check out using an outlet tester?)

My computer starts but spends more time than normal on the Windows XP but eventually loads. It stays on maybe 10 seconds and then shuts off and restarts itself. It just keeps doing this over and over, shutting down as soon as it loads windows. I have no time to test anything except through safe mode and in safe mode, it will stay on and not shut down immediately. Any ideas?

Hi I had something similar and a mate shuffled me off to this site that has great free help and advice, all error and codes etc. I am not an expert but I found what I needed, maybe you will too... recovery-cds.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back