CPU temp over 80 C. Need advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have Motherboard Monitor running and it tells me my CPU temp is 80-82 C. I also have Everest Home and it tells me MB temp is 81 C and CPU temp is around 100 C.

I ordered a new fan and heatsink, have been using the one that came with my Athlon XP 2700. I also ordered a PCI slot fan.

I used Arctic Silver 5 when I installed this CPU on a new MB an ECS KM400-M2

Maybe I didn't put Artic Silver 5 on right? How much is needed, how do you do it?

Hopefully the better fan will help. Computer seems sluggish and restarts on occasion.

Any suggestions?

80c is a lot of heat for that system, answering ur questions

a lot of artic silver is not good applying .5mm evenly will do anything more is not needed(as it is just facilitatte better transfer of heat).

just check if it is Farenhite or Centigrade because i it s F then it is not a problem, i surprised that ur Motherboard temp is 80 odd C, so just check it also it might be possible ur software is reading the temp wrongly try checking the BIOS for the actual temp.

Sounds like fahrenheit to me, no way could you have sustainable performance at 100'C, the CPU would probably melt.

100 f or c...

Well 100 F is alittle worm but still fine for AMD if that is 100c then it is very worm as in boiling point at sea level and the chip will run but not for long i would start looking at fans, voltage settings and all that stuff... and you CPU is about to make like a Christmas Tree... :hotbounce

Ah...

Thinking of BIOSs and software check that your software and BIOS are the newest versions that maybe the problem as well. :bounce:

I highly doubt your CPU is running at 100C. But if it is, you first need to lower your thermal alarm temp, so that your rig kicks off (it is not safe to run at those temps) and scondly you need to reapply your thermal paste. But before you do all of this, use your BIOS temps, as there could be a conflict between the montoring programs.

Sean

As others stated above, check to make sure you are reading C and not F.

100F is perfectly normal and quite cool for a processor.

81 F is also perfectly normal and quite cool for a motherboard, depending.

If you truly are reading 100 C than most likely MBM is misconfigured or auto-detected an incorrect sensor to use. I would check your BIOS. There will be a hardware monitor in the BIOS you can check. It'll be under "PC Health Status" or "Hardware Monitoring" depending on your motherboard and BIOS.

OK, checked the BIOS and it states CPU temp is 51 C.

Other readings from the two software programs I noted both state C not F.

Case Temp is 33 C.

51C is much more realistic and a good temperature. I'd suggest reconfiguring MBM. Make sure you have the latest version, or just dump it altogether. It probably is detecting a sensor incorrectly.

OK,

I downloaded SpeedFan. It gave me the same temp, 81C

I then shutdown and installed my new fan and the new pci fan.

I restarted and it now shows temp1 as 40C, temp2 39C, temp 3 71C-120's C, HD 39C

Everest shows MB at 39C, Aux at 40C, my HD at 39C. Everest also flashes another temp occasionaly after MB labeled CPU and it ranges from 50C up into 120's C

BIOS still shows cpu temp around 40C.

Sounds alot my my computer, i installed MSI - pc alert 4 (i have msi board) and it told me my cpu was 129 degrees and tryed to shut down my computer.
"its no longer on my HDD" i tryed speed fan it seems reliable to me same as my bios.
Temp1 = 28 C
Temp2 = 41 C

does anyone know how to properly put a thermal sensor into my heat sink.
i got it with my thermaltake Damier V5000 case. It tells me my CPU is 33 C(which is wrong)

I would trust...

I would Trust the BIOS over some software, anyday the BIOS is not a program running inside an operating system. I have noticed that software seems to post a higher temp they the BIOS 80-90 % of the time. My theory is that between the O/S and the progam it's self there is a loss or added gain in the math. But that is just my what I think is why, it is just an observation and a best guess on why attanined by a theory based on the fact that Windows can be very buggy. I have a game that I have installed loads of times between three computers an AMD 800 Mhz duron, an Intel P4 3.2 Ghz and an AMD 64 3500 (I now have a 4000 in there and same with it) and there are parts of the game and features that do not do the same thing each instilation, on all of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back