Winamp - bad directsound driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

timurtaljanovic

i tried to listen to some of the music on my computer, and i realized there was a problem.

WINAMPproblem.jpg

i was hoping that someone on the forum could tell me what's wrong. it's like it doesn't even recognize my soundcard. :(

i really don't understand. what is the purpose of making a thread if no one is interested in commenting in it? :mad:
i'd really like someone to give me some advise, since i'm extremely annoyed not being able to listen to music. :(

ok, this is really strange. there have been more than 60 views of this thread, yet no one comments. :mad: what does a person need to do to get some advise on this forum? :cool:

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I notice in your user profile that all your system specs are marked as not applicable.

We need some info from you. Such as what soundcard you have.

In fact your full system specs would help us to help you.

Please go HERE and read my post.

Now to your problem. Have you installed the correct drivers for your soundcard?

Check in your device manager for any yellow exclamation or question marks next to your sound devices.

When did the problem first start? Had you installed any new hardware/software etc?

I`m sorry for all the questions, but from what you have said so far it is difficult to offer you a solution.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

In order to install your soundcard drivers, you will need to know what soundcard you have.

If you have onboard sound then you can get the drivers from your mobo manufacturers website.

If you have a separate soundcard the you will need to get the drivers from the soundcard manufacturers website.

If you download the free Everest programme from HERE, it will give you lots of info about your system. Including what soundcard you have.

Regards Howard :grinthumb

howard_hopkinso said:
Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I notice in your user profile that all your system specs are marked as not applicable.

We need some info from you. Such as what soundcard you have.

In fact your full system specs would help us to help you.

Please go HERE and read my post.

Now to your problem. Have you installed the correct drivers for your soundcard?

Check in your device manager for any yellow exclamation or question marks next to your sound devices.

When did the problem first start? Had you installed any new hardware/software etc?

I`m sorry for all the questions, but from what you have said so far it is difficult to offer you a solution.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

i don't really know much about the computer myself. i just bought the dell dimension 2400. :) mabye you could help me understand my system information better. tell me where to go and what to do.

how do i reach my device manager?
what is a driver? i didn't really install anything like that. i just bought the computer, install some programs like microsoft word, and starting to go with it.
the problem started about 2 weeks ago, and i don't really understand what has gone wrong.

as you see in my title, i'm still a newbie. i don't understand most of the stuff that most of you people are talking about on the forum. if it doesn't bother you too much, mabye you could guide me through this problem. :)

You can get into your device manager(assuming your running Windows xp)by right clicking my computer and selecting manage, then select device manager.

I would strongly advise you to download the Everest programme, as it really will give you the info you need.

Regards Howard :)

alright. right clicked on the icon of 'my computer', i clicked on manage. i found the device manager, and i see a yellow question mark.

the text next to the question mark is 'multimedia audio controller'.
now what do you recommend that i do? when i right click on the text, the options that come up are 'update driver, disable, uninstall, scan for hardware changes, and properties'.

Your device manager is telling you that you need to install the drivers for your soundcard. Close the device manager by clicking on the x in the top righthand corner.

Now run the everest programm I advised you to get. When the first window opens click on the large computer icon in the righthand pane. Now click on the computer summary icon.

You will see a list of your most important parts in your computer. Scroll down to where it says Multimedia and tell me exactly what it says. I will then advise you further.

Regards Howard :D

howard_hopkinso said:
Your device manager is telling you that you need to install the drivers for your soundcard. Close the device manager by clicking on the x in the top righthand corner.

Now run the everest programm I advised you to get. When the first window opens click on the large computer icon in the righthand pane. Now click on the computer summary icon.

You will see a list of your most important parts in your computer. Scroll down to where it says Multimedia and tell me exactly what it says. I will then advise you further.

Regards Howard :D

which one of the choices do i download of everest?

the three choices i have to download are:
1.) everest - home edition
2.) everest - ultimate edition
3.) everest - corporate edition

once i know which one to download, i'll follow the steps on fixing it. :)

alright. i have downloaded and installed the everest home edition.

just a quick question. what exactly does this everest program do?

here is the text under the multimedia icon:

everest-multimedia.jpg

Ok first lets get your sound working.

You have onboard sound, so you need to go to your mobo manufacturers website and download the sound drivers for you mobo.

If you don`t know what mobo you have, Everest will tell you.

Everest gives you info about your system, from what components are in it, to temperature monitoring, and a host of other info.

Just click on the icons, and a page will appear telling you about that subject.

If you let me know the model of your mobo I will point you in the right direction to your sound drivers.

howard_hopkinso said:
Ok first lets get your sound working.

You have onboard sound, so you need to go to your mobo manufacturers website and download the sound drivers for you mobo.

If you don`t know what mobo you have, Everest will tell you.

Everest gives you info about your system, from what components are in it, to temperature monitoring, and a host of other info.

Just click on the icons, and a page will appear telling you about that subject.

If you let me know the model of your mobo I will point you in the right direction to your sound drivers.

what is an onboard sound? :suspiciou

there is no text next to the motherboard icon. i don't know what model makes it. here is all the information under the motherboard bullet.
everest-motherboardinformation.jpg

i entered the service tag number, and the modle of my computer on the website. it gave me a list of all the things that i could download.

when you said sound drivers, that can also be said as audio, correct? since there was no sound option, just audio. :cool:
here is the choices of what i can download:
dellaudiodrivers.jpg

which one should i download?

i'd like to thank howard_hopkinso for helping me by guiding me step-by-step through the procedure.
i have finally got the sound back onto my computer!

SOUND :D

Hm..HELP PLEASE~ ERrr the pic is too more than 100k to be posted..I'll send a PM or email if anyone wants to see my specs of my computer thanks

Actually nevermind I got my profile updated please check it..if not enough information, please send me a email about it and I will send you a prnt screen version of my computer.

Which one should I choose?
Audio: ADI 1985 5.12.1.5240 23.8 MB 13 Apr 2005

INF: Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility 6.3.0.1008 2.59 MB 25 Feb 2005

LAN: Intel LAN 8.0.65293 31.2 MB 20 Jun 2003

SATA RAID: F6 Driver Disk (Optional) 3.5.0.2600 271 KB 28 Jul 2003

SATA RAID: Intel Application Accelerator 3.5.0.2600 7.41 MB 7 Jul 2003

Serial ATA QFE Update† QFE#812415 385 KB 27 Jun 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back