Computer only starting with CMOS jumper set to 'clear'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. Hopefully one of you clever people will be able to help me with this problem.

I have just installed a new motherboard and processor and upon starting for the first time everything seemed to go fine. I then read in the manual that clearing the CMOS was recommended so I did as advised (moved the jumper to clear, waited, moved it back), but then upon switching the computer back on the monitor would refuse to come on (the computer would start checking the CD-roms drives, so I assume it is at least booting).

I got a bit annoyed so I decided to see what would happen if I left the CMOS jumper set to 'clear' and, as it happens, everything started up perfectly and appears to be working fine. The questions I have are:

What effect will having the CMOS set to clear have on my computer?

What the hell is going on and how could it be rectified?

Many thanks.

The procedure to clear the CMOS is a little more involved that you described and may be the source of your problems. Try this:

1. Unplug the PC from the wall and put on your ESD (static discharge) strap.
2. Remove the battery from the mobo. (should be right next to the jumper).
3. Now move the jumper to the "clear CMOS" pins.
4. Move the jumper back to the regular pins after a couple of minutes.
5. Replace battery.
6. Plug PC back in and boot up into BIOS.

If the above doesn't help, then remove everything form the motherboard but 1 stick of RAM, the video card and the CPU/HSF (unplug all drives iincluding the hard drive) and do the above procedure again and see if you can get into BIOS.

Good luck.

Clearing the CMOS is the same as returning All settings to Default.Baisically after you clear return directly to the Setup pages ,Make sure you have reccommended settings for your Hardware ,then hit F10 or whatever to Exit & Save settings.I would not leave the machine with the Clear jumper always on.
Pay attention to the settings you have with a successful boot ,Make Notes ,then atleast you know where to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back