windows xp loads desktop then freezes, plz help

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello there,
i was working on pc when noticed that the cmd prompt window run itself for less than 2 seconds then disappeared.
later on (next day) when i restarted my computer it will start as usual then loading the desktop, icons then stops.
the mouse can still move on screen but when i try to click on any icons it wont work, and when i pass the mouse over task bar (or on the word "start") it shows a hourglass.
checking the task manager shows no cpu activity (0%) and no applications running in the "APLICATION TAP".
I tried to run my pc under safe mode. same thing will happen.
please help.

delete or uninstall any programs lately?
have you tried alt ctrl delete task manager
check process's make a note of them and post or check online for spyware trojon
last time clients machine did that was from corrupt sam file
caused by spyware
need to get the password reset tool and copy to a floppy
load on boot will reset the password and fix sam file

i have same problem. i just unplug my modem and all was ok. Try to disable your netwok card or somthing else.... But dont try to format hard disk, that dont helps.

thx for everyone who tried to help..
to those who could go through same problem..here is how it has been solved.
installed another windows version on pc (u can always just connect ur HDD to another pc as a slave drive).
then i run an online virus check (mcafee in my case) and it was a virus, so nothing has to do with my hardware or installing/removing programs.
------------
always check your win\system32 for any qxxxx*.dll (be carefull its q not Q and xxxx* should be a number string) any of these could be a real pain in the **s and deleting them will help lots...(tho u will still have to find the source making them on ur HDD, since some may just be recreated.

Can i give u one advice? kaspersky Antivirus 5 Personal Pro is much better then McAfee. try it, i think u dont going to have any more problems with viruses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back