Sending files through router

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamie.benstead

I have got a broadband moden connected to a router, the router then connects to 2 different computers. It works fine as both computers have access to the internet now. But I dont know how to send files from one computer to the other through the router, if I even can do this...
Anyone know anything about this sort of thing?

I had a similar problem with four Dell computers and a Netgear wireless router. In my case these 4 computers were using that wireless router and I couldn't share any folders. All were using XP home. But the two that I wanted to share files on were right next to each other and also they were only about 5 feet from the router. What I did was disable the wireless cards in each and connect them with patch cords into the back of the router. Then I made the logons the same. For example I used logon "Fred" and password left blank. Then I shared a folder on each one of them and this ran me through some process and took about 4 minutes. After that I was able to move files through the router. However I did the same thing on one of the computers that wasn't connected with patch cord, just wireless, and that one I was never able to share files with even though it had the same logon and password as the others. Because of this I'm guessing that the firewall in the router was stopping it. Just a guess. All the the computers, wired and wireless, are able to get on the internet.

First get ALL systems to access the Internet via the wireless. This will
ensure your TCP setup is correct and the signal is sufficient to retain access
over time. Forget sharing untill this works reliably.

Then, each system can create a Share for resources it owns, like a printer
or a directory. You should realize that you need to reject all access to
ports 135-139 and 445 from the Internet and allow access from your LAN
(typically 192.168.*.* addresses). Under the Security control pannel,
allow print/file sharing.

All systems need to be in the same workgroup and for XP/home edition,
you need to enable the Guest account and give it a password (for your protection).
All systems can use the same password too. To gain access to a shared resource on another system,
right-click My Network Places->map network drives
choose a drive letter and enter the Shared name, eg \\systemB\SharedDocs
you should get a prompt for the password and it should mount for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back