Doom Movie (Review)

TS | Thomas

After seeing the film this afternoon. It's... well... it's...
I saw The Rock on The Daily Show Show last night, laughably stating that "every" monster from the game was in it. They aren't; best I could tell there about 4 or 5 types (Zombies, Hell Knight, Imp, Pinky). As you'd probably expect much of the action falls into the typical monster movie type action, a quick glimpse, few bursts of shooting at shadows, repeat several times. The much hyped FPS sequence is the only point at which you see multiple monsters (dispatched easily enough for the most part), up to that point the soldiers don't really do all that much - a few zombie kills & a monkey, plenty of shooting at where monsters were moments before though.
The plot, like the game(s), threadbare. A lot like the Resident Evil film it seems (Never seen it though) - genetic experiments on Mars go wrong, people turned to monsters, monsters kill people, army team sent in to research & rescue/destroy/retrieve company files. Nothing to write home about. Yup - the monsters aren't from hell, they're people turned by bad genes.
Acting's standard fare I guess, nothing great, no particularly memorable characters bar the guy who makes all the "sick" jokes (I laughed anyway).

So, you know, rent it or something if you must, you might hasve a few fun moments though.

Glad th hear it wasnt a total bomb. I mean a movie made after a mediocre FPS what did you expect? And the rock..ugh. but i might just have to see it, because well its doom :eek:

sean

Yeah, it's not great, just a standard 80's(ish) monster flick. Better than most game fiulms though (RE: Apocalypse anyone?)

At least they put one of those frightening hell knights in it. The monsters weren't from Hell? Bogus.

Friend of mine went to see it the other day and said it was very well done, espcially the first person shooter scenes.

SPOILERS

There's a decent few lines with "hell" used in it. But that's about it. It's clearly stated the monsters are not from hell. Actually, now that I think of it - it's a bit like Blade 2 in a way - the monsters physically infect the people. There's some nonsense about the change being caused by the character of the person infected though (i.e. you become superhuman or a monster).

Anyway, it's a decent enough game adaption, it's not a great "film" though (Not that that's what you should be expecting if you are going to see it). I mean if you liked AVP you can probably find it in yourself to enjoy this (Although at least AVP actually let you clearly see a lot of the action ;)) There's also no ridiculous using the monsters head/tail as a shield/spear (What a joke that was)

yeah it was very bad. i mean how are you gonna make a doom movie and not include the main plot of doom, and thats hell and demons. it was a disappointment. the acting is awful, the plot is horrible, makin very little sense, i dont wanna spoil it for anyone so im not going to point anything out. save ur money so there wont be a second one and go see SAW II. its awesome.

I have yet to see a decent flick based on a video game....

"It all depends on what your definition of 'on' is". , Bill Clinton discussing this post.

Actually, all considering, the 1st Mortal Combat movie wasn't too bad.
EDIT: oh ya, DOOM movie, that sucks, no demons from hell, I agree what's the point then!! Hell Knight, wasn't that in Quake1, I forget, OMG this was DOOM for god's sake I was only 30 years old then!

Back