Random BSODs with fresh XP install, need guru help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I'm getting random BSODs with a fresh install of XP SP2. I've tried so many things I'm not even sure where to start. Did Memtest (20+ hrs, no errors) and Prime95 (torture blend test for 8hrs, no errors). Have checked that system is assembled properly, with no loose connections etc. PSU is a 430W Antec True Power, should be enough to power my "barebone" rig below.

Here's my rig:
AMD A64 3200+ Venice
MSI Neo4 Platinum (NF4 Ultra, no SLI)
2 x 512 Corsair Valueselect 2.5-3-3-8
Asus N6800GT
2 x Hitachi 7K250 (not RAIDed)
LG DVD/RW
Almost all components are brand new, not over-clocked.

I've gone through many forums and posts, and gather there're a few issues with the NF4 chipset and its drivers (mostly driver faults). Currently, system does not suffer from file corruption from disk-disk transfers and downloads. I've gone though many different sets of drivers, as well as blends of drivers, to consistently get BSODs when I run p2p software like Bit Torrents. BSODs are seemingly random, ranging from BAD POOL HEADER, BAD POOL CALLER, PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA. Sometimes, the BSODs don't appear, but system becomes non-responsive. When I manage to get task manager out (after a long while), it'll show that Azureus is at 100% CPU utilization. After I kill the process, some other process (can't remember what) will take over the 100% util, until I kill almost everything.

Driver sets from NVIDIA I've used range from 6.53 to 6.70, even tried a mix of 6.70 with the new 5.09 Ethernet drivers (have not installed the SW IDE drivers). And yes, NAM has been installed during all tries, because that's one of the reasons I got this board in the first place. But up to now, I really think the problems were caused by the NAM. Weird thing is, the problem only comes about when p2p is used, and IDLE. System doesn't seem to hang when I'm playing around with it.

Am attaching the minidumps here, hopefully one of the kind gurus here can help me analyze it a little. Many thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Minidump.zip
    48.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Minidump02.zip
    50.1 KB · Views: 7
Hello all, i've decided to post in this thread as well, having similar

problems and a similar system as l3stat. I'm getting random BSODs at

random times as well, but all of them are PAGE FAUL IN NONPAGED AREA.

Specs:
AMD athlon 64 3200+ Venice
ASUS A8N SLi Deluxe
2 gigs corsair XMS RAM
ATI X800 XL
WD 350 gig HD

Key info: running on Win XP profession x64 edition.

All of the BSODs seem to refer to one file: ati2dvag.dll. This file is
part of the ATI driver. When i roll my mouse over it, it says its a
Windows NT ATI RADEON driver. I've tried deleting this file
completely, and the display got completely messed up, so i think thats
out of the question.
EArlier, i thougth i had solved the problem by deleting the Catalyst
Control Center, which comes with the ATI drivers (i'm using Catalyst
5.13). Everything seemed to be working fine, then i started getting
the error again.
All the parts i'm using are brand new, i finished building the rig last
tuesday.
I'll attach some minidumps, hopefully that will help.
Oh, and i did memtest, but for only one cycle. no errors though. I'll do it for longer tonight.

l3stat said:
Hi all, I'm getting random BSODs with a fresh install of XP SP2. I've tried so many things I'm not even sure where to start. Did Memtest (20+ hrs, no errors) and Prime95 (torture blend test for 8hrs, no errors). Have checked that system is assembled properly, with no loose connections etc. PSU is a 430W Antec True Power, should be enough to power my "barebone" rig below.

Here's my rig:
AMD A64 3200+ Venice
MSI Neo4 Platinum (NF4 Ultra, no SLI)
2 x 512 Corsair Valueselect 2.5-3-3-8
Asus N6800GT
2 x Hitachi 7K250 (not RAIDed)
LG DVD/RW
Almost all components are brand new, not over-clocked.

I've gone through many forums and posts, and gather there're a few issues with the NF4 chipset and its drivers (mostly driver faults). Currently, system does not suffer from file corruption from disk-disk transfers and downloads. I've gone though many different sets of drivers, as well as blends of drivers, to consistently get BSODs when I run p2p software like Bit Torrents. BSODs are seemingly random, ranging from BAD POOL HEADER, BAD POOL CALLER, PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA. Sometimes, the BSODs don't appear, but system becomes non-responsive. When I manage to get task manager out (after a long while), it'll show that Azureus is at 100% CPU utilization. After I kill the process, some other process (can't remember what) will take over the 100% util, until I kill almost everything.

Driver sets from NVIDIA I've used range from 6.53 to 6.70, even tried a mix of 6.70 with the new 5.09 Ethernet drivers (have not installed the SW IDE drivers). And yes, NAM has been installed during all tries, because that's one of the reasons I got this board in the first place. But up to now, I really think the problems were caused by the NAM. Weird thing is, the problem only comes about when p2p is used, and IDLE. System doesn't seem to hang when I'm playing around with it.

Am attaching the minidumps here, hopefully one of the kind gurus here can help me analyze it a little. Many thanks in advance!

Save Dump #1
Has a Long List of Files, Norton Or Symnatec ANtivirus/Secuirity

GetUlongFromAddress: unable to read from 8055b6f0
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for naveng.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for naveng.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for navex15.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for navex15.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for SYMREDRV.SYS
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for SYMREDRV.SYS
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nv4_disp.dll
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for nv4_disp.dll
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for eeCtrl.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for eeCtrl.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for SYMTDI.SYS
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for SYMTDI.SYS
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for NVTcp.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for NVTcp.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for Savrtpel.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for Savrtpel.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for SYMEVENT.SYS
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for SYMEVENT.SYS
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for savrt.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for savrt.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvarm.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for nvarm.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvmcp.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for nvmcp.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvapu.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for nvapu.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for NVENETFD.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for NVENETFD.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nv4_mini.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for nv4_mini.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for NVSNPU.SYS
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for NVSNPU.SYS
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for NVNRM.SYS
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for NVNRM.SYS
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvax.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for nvax.sys

Save Dump #2 And #3:
Unable to load image NVTcp.sys, Win32 error 2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for NVTcp.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for NVTcp.sys
Probably caused by : NVTcp.sys ( NVTcp+1dcf )

First one is Symatec,

2nd and 3rd Is Affiitated with NVidia Firewall...

OBS said:
Hello all, i've decided to post in this thread as well, having similar

problems and a similar system as l3stat. I'm getting random BSODs at

random times as well, but all of them are PAGE FAUL IN NONPAGED AREA.

Specs:
AMD athlon 64 3200+ Venice
ASUS A8N SLi Deluxe
2 gigs corsair XMS RAM
ATI X800 XL
WD 350 gig HD

Key info: running on Win XP profession x64 edition.

All of the BSODs seem to refer to one file: ati2dvag.dll. This file is
part of the ATI driver. When i roll my mouse over it, it says its a
Windows NT ATI RADEON driver. I've tried deleting this file
completely, and the display got completely messed up, so i think thats
out of the question.
EArlier, i thougth i had solved the problem by deleting the Catalyst
Control Center, which comes with the ATI drivers (i'm using Catalyst
5.13). Everything seemed to be working fine, then i started getting
the error again.
All the parts i'm using are brand new, i finished building the rig last
tuesday.
I'll attach some minidumps, hopefully that will help.
Oh, and i did memtest, but for only one cycle. no errors though. I'll do it for longer tonight.

Save Dumps 1,2, 3 and 4 Are
Unable to load image ati2dvag.dll, Win32 error 2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ati2dvag.dll
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for ati2dvag.dll
Probably caused by : ati2dvag.dll ( ati2dvag+13156 )

Followup: MachineOwner
---------

Which Are ATi Display Drivers/

try to download the latest ATI drivers from their website. I got rid of ATI based cards as lately they have been having a lot of incompatibility problems. My last two cards were NVIDIA based and I have had NO problems.

@l3stat

Uninstall all of the nVidia drivers from the Add/Remove prog. in Control Panel, reboot, install first the newest official nForce drivers. During install, dont install SW IDE or NAM, yes, that's right don't install NAM - I know you want it, but just try once to see if it's the root of the problems (and judging how many people have problems with P2P software when running NAM at the same time, I wouldn't be surprised).
Reboot, then install the newest official ForceWare, reboot again.

Try doing that, then report back.

@OBS

Uninstall ATI drivers, reboot, and install an older version of Catalyst drivers that used to work, but don't install the CCC version, install the plain Control Panel version...

Alright, thanks Arcanum, i might just have to try that. I have a couple more things to try with the ATI card. I'll try installing earlier versions of the catalyst drivers, like you said. Also, theres something strange i noticed: in the device manager, under display adapters it has two things:
ATI Radeon X800 (primary)
ATI Radeon X800 (secondary)
I only have one card...so that seems a bit odd. Any thoughts?

Also: i did what tedster suggested and grabbed an nVidia card (a 7800GT). I put that one in, installed the latest x64 drivers (81.89). It didn't work right away, i had to go into the device manager and manually show windows where the drivers were. After that, windows recognized the card. However, when i put a load on the card, everything freezes, forcing me to restart. I'm thinking the card is overheating because the fan just doesn't seem to turn on, or at least not go on to full speed. The card requires 26A on the 12v current, but i only have 18A, which is probably the problem. Tell me what you think. If it is, i guess i'll either have to get a new PSU, get the ATI to work, or get a 6800GT...well, thanks for the help.

Hey hey, whaddya know, i just got a BSOD also, and guess what it listed? an nvidia driver, which is probably the display driver...oh yay...this is getting old very fast :(

Okay, will try it out. I think I got enough of Nvidia for now, will stick to a software firewall. Totally forgot about checking back, thanks for the replies! Will report after trying.

Update on my situation, when using utorrent, I seem to get stability with NAM security profile set at at "Medium" default. Been running for about 8hrs now. Of course downside is traffic is slowed to a trickle, with most incoming connections blocked. Will install a new O/S and driver combination if I can muster up the courage to face the installation screens again. :(

@OBS
You say that you're running XP x64, I hope you have a dual boot with the normal WinXP - if you do, is the problem also present there?
If you dont have a dual boot, could you try to set it up (install normal WinXP)? Just to see if thats not the problem, x64 drivers still have their quirks that need to be sorted out.
btw, those two entries are completely normal for ATi cards...

@l3stat
Thought so, some people never had one hitch with NAM running all the time, even with P2P apps, yet other people have their computer crashing all the time because of it... nVidia needs to do some serius debugging.

@arcanum

Yes, seems to be NAM that's causing the problems. Last before I wiped my machine, drivers I downloaded with NAM on were corrupt. Put in a new O/S again, but without NAM and the SW IDE drivers. Machine runs sweet! And ethernet is working great. Tested the machine with a couple of torrent downloads, as well as a few games, no problems at all.

Thanks for the tips fellas. While I'm glad I got the stuff working after all, am quite sore the NAM doesn't work as it should.

XP64 has a lot of issues ... at this time rather go for XP Pro. You probably do not have enough RAM to make XP64 worthwhile anyway.

Norton's ... I have 8 machines, and responsible for 3000 more ... you won't find N anywhere near any of them.

yeah, i'm back, i tried installing a copy of XP Home, and it works flawlessly. I guess i'll just have to stick with 32 bit OS until things becocme more stable! ah well, thanks for the help.

I'm glad both of you sorted out your problems and all is fine now :)

Glad we could be of some assistance :)

OBS said:
yeah, i'm back, i tried installing a copy of XP Home, and it works flawlessly. I guess i'll just have to stick with 32 bit OS until things becocme more stable! ah well, thanks for the help.

think WIndows 64 is Unstable, Try Longhorn :)

Don't know if this thread is still alive or not....

Hey guys, I apologize if this thread is done and over with, but I'm having similar problems, namely BSOD with SAVRT.sys and Page fault in Nonpaged Area being the culprits.
I've been running around Google, checking out what other people say about it, and I've tried several options, disabling SAVRT.sys in the recovery console, booting into safe mode (won't do it), and messing around with my BIOS settings. I'm on a Gigabyte GA-8N Sli with a Pentium D 820, and the BIOS has several tweaking options for memory, but I really don't play around with them too much, because I don't know what half of them mean...speaking of which, can anyone tell me what an LDT is? Or a spread spectrum?
Anyways, on to my current problem....it's taken me 2 months to get this system to install Windows, and I am not kidding you here. I've been through 4 motherboards, and every part in the system has been switched out at least once. The only way I can install Windows is if I put my roommate's P4 3.2 LGA 775 in for the install, then switch it back after I'm done. Hence, I have both my 64 bit and my 32 bit installed on the same machine (different hard drives, though). It wasn't until last week that I could even get past install, and it was very strange, because once I installed both operating systems, it was like a demon left my computer or something, everything has been running smooth as can be ever since, and I can boot from either os just fine. I was running on 512 megs of K-byte RAM, waiting for some new Corsair XM2 to arrive via fedex, which just got here today.
One thing that caught my eye....We're all running Corsair ram, and Nforce 4 chipsets, although mine is for intel. I'm also running an ATI All in Wonder PCI Express Graphics Card.
I've updated all my drivers within the last week, and I've got all my Windows updates, AND I've flashed my BIOS to the latest version. My power supply is brand new also, a CoolerMaster 600W with the biggest fan I've ever seen, and miles of plugs, half of which I don't even know what they are!
So I just put that new RAM in, and immediately I get the BSOD off both operating systems, on the 64 I get to the logon screen, 32 I can't even get that far.
Is my new RAM bad (Oh God, I hope not!), or is it a problem with Norton, or is it a problem with my chipset and my ram not liking each other? Why, when I get to the recovery console, does it tell me it can't find SAVRT.sys in the registry? And what am I supposed to do about any of it if I can't even boot into safe mode?
Please help, all I want is a system I can run my graphics editing programs on without having to reinstall windows every 5 days! My roommate isn't going to be around with his processor forever! Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that I CAN build my own system, but these last two months have been hell on wheels, and I am so done for a little bit! I've never, ever had this many problems getting a single computer up and running. Thanks in advance!! tiedyejax

Symantec Antivirus email tools cause problem

I found that, by default, the Symantec Antivirus program installs email tools. These tools may be described as flaky and when they flake, they cause the exact error you spoke of. Go to Add/Remove Programs, choose Symantec Antivirus and select Change/Remove and then modify when it comes up. Simply tell it not to install the email tools. You can always put it back if it doesn't fix the problem.

I had this shutdown several of our Lotus Notes servers until someone came up with this fix. Same error message appeared every time about a page fault in nonpaged area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back