Radeon 9550 256MB AGP Installation Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys i've never been here before but reading posts about the people who have the same problem i've seen you guys know alot, but after trying the things i've seen i still haven't been able to fix the problem.

I got the Radeon 9550 for christmas (woot :p). and i uninstalled my nvidia card and it's drivers, then i installed new chipset drivers and downloaded radeon drivers, i put the card in and booted up, everything was fine, then i installed the card through the disk that came with it, then installed drivers, and then the screen froze up and was intelligible...random colors all over it...so i restarted and ever since then, as soon as it gets to the login screen, and i put in the password it immediately shuts down and restarts, i've tried going into the bios and everything looks good there, i've tried putting more fans on it that didn't do anything, i honestly don't know much about computers so if there's anything i've neglected to do please mention it.

specs:

DFI AD77 Infinity KT400 AMD Motherboard
AMD Athlon 2400+
Kingston 512MB DDR Ram x2
my old graphics card (which works fine) is a Nvidia GeForce4 Ti4600 128MB DDR Memory
Ultra V Series 500W ATX Power Supply

Anything i left out?

It sounds like you might have double installed two different versions of the graphics card driver, unless I misread your post. When you installed the graphics card using the disc that came with the card, that should have installed the graphics card driver, abeit an old version. Try uninstalling the driver and reinstalling again (use the latest version).

I have the same problem, did you find any solution for the problem ?:

I bought a (PowerColor) ATI 9550 256mb card y-day and installed in in my system and specified all the settings i needed in the Bios setup (256 mem and AGPx8). I boot up and XP found the new hardware and i choose to install the default ATI 9550 drivers from MS (dated 2004-xx-xx) and it works.

After reboot i downloaded the latest drivers from ATI and started the installation and the system frooze (during installation). I rebooted in Safe-mode and removed the card from the "hardware list" and rebooted in normal mode and the system starts and finds the prev (latest ati) drivers and freezez.

I restarted in safe mode and did a complete removal of all ATI drivers from my system (ati-driver and program removal tool) and restart, the system falls back to VGA. i then tried to install the drivers that came on the "driver cd" with the Hardware, the installation looks fine and i reboot.

XP-loading-splashscreen shows like normal and then goes black and freezez (where you normaly get the login-screen). safe-mode again and removed all the drives (including all my old graphic drivers for my prev gcard (gforce) just to be on the safeside.

Back to "normal vga mode"-again and retries to install the drives on the driver-cd .. and the system freezes during installation.

I'we tried everything above twice and the problem is always the same.

I dont have any IRQ conflicts (or irq sharing) for the gcard so its not that.
I havent assigned a IRQ in bios for gfx but since i dont have a conflict i hardly think that will solve the problem.

Im out of ideas, please HELP !!!!!

System:
- XP-SP2, patched all the way except IE7 and the latest WDRM-patch
- Amd Athlon 2400+
- AD77 - Infinity, motherboard (latest bios)
- Nec ND-1300a DVDr (Herrie "modified"-Firmware)
- 1,5gig PC3200 Samsung (512x3)
- Primary sound = Onboard AC97
- Secondary Sound = Hoontech DSP24 (ASIO-card)
- Secondary graphix (Matrox millenium)
(I removed the matrox card (physically) and all the drivers for it early in the process)

Step One:

Radeon 9550 is a piece of ****. I bought one for 100 bucks. They are worth about 50. They cant run Half Life 2 or anything for ****. Its all Choppy and ****. Best thing to do is go to ati.com and do their trade up program or sell that card off and buy a better card.

Step Two:
Make sure you uninstall everything from Nvidia.
When you put the new card in and put the cd in it will automatically overwrite the old ATI drivers if you ever had a driver installed.
If you still have problems you arent removing the Nvidia drivers correctly, if you dont feel like hooking your old card back into to remove them then just use the intergrated video on your mobo. If your mobo doesnt have intergrated well gotta get that new card to work.

ApeTronic said:
I bought a (PowerColor) ATI 9550 256mb card y-day and installed in in my system and specified all the settings i needed in the Bios setup (256 mem and AGPx8).
Try setting the AGP to 4x and disable AGP fastwrites if they are enabled. AGP aperture size should be 64-128 MB, not the maximum.

k ..thanx man .. ill try the mem-setting you mention. Problem is i dont have any option in my bios for taking down agp to x4. Fastwrite have been disabled the whole time

Small update:
- my psu is a 350w - and im using (when "maxing-out") 290w
- heat isnt the issue
- the latest Via-arena drivers (for my kt400 mb) installed so its not that ..

Starting to suspect that its just a crappy/broken card =)
but then again, there is alot of ppl with the same problem so i suppose it could be something else...

OK!!! i solved my problem (thanx to sharkfoods reply in another post):

In the Device Manager, System Devices, find the "CPU to AGP Controller" and manually update it (Update Driver, Select from list, Don't Search- I will choose, etc.etc.) to "PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge"

DOnt know how it will affect the benchmark/output .. but it worx and shows 3D without even crashing =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back