Compaq presario restarts on its own small memory dump

Status
Not open for further replies.

ladypegasus

Okay, this is getting quite frustrating, it started a few months ago when I moved, hooked up my desktop and it ran fine, then it shut off and wouldnt start back up, so I figured it was the power supply after trying and trying to get it to turn on with no avail, I gave up and just wated till I could afford a new power supply, well I finally have the money for it, but out of curiousity I tryed to plug it in and it worked, now all I keep getting is the blue screen of death with small memory dump or complete memory dump, it will stay on for a hour to 2 hrs then blue screen, I have to restart it sometimes 2 or 3 times, because the screen will pop back up as soon as I load into my desktop, I thought maybe it was a virus or adaware but have ran both programs and found nothing, Help what else can I do? I am tired of being in the middle of mail or convos and then losing everything, I did order the new power supply BTW

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me
Barb

I have included the last 5 dmp files

Attachments

• Mini020906-04.zip
    95.7 KB · Views: 10
Hello and welcome to Techspot.

All your minidumps crash at ftdibus.sys. See HERE for further info. They all have a bugcheck of 0A.

0x0000000A: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Typically due to a bad driver, or faulty or incompatible hardware or software. Technically, this error condition means that a kernel-mode process or driver tried to access a memory location to which it did not have permission, or at a kernel Interrupt ReQuest Level (IRQL) that was too high. (A kernel-mode process can access only other processes that have an IRQL lower than, or equal to, its own.)

I suggest that you update this driver.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Ok you kinda lost me there, i have no clue what you are talking about, i went to the site and did not know what to look for, this did start when i uploaded a program to my comp for internet acess thru my cell phone via USB cable, Im sorry could you tell me in a bit more english? you kinda lost me there. what driver do i need to update and where do i find it? and where do i find that bugcheck of OA? is it a program?

Barb

Try updating the driver for your FTDI device.

You can find the drivers at the website I linked.

If you think you problem started after installing the pogramme from your cell phone. Uninstall it, and see if the crashes go away.

You can also go HERE and download your latest chipset drivers etc.

Regards Howard :)

Drivers are available which allow FTDI devices to work with the following operating systems:

Windows XP x64

Windows XP

Windows Server 2003

Windows 2000

Windows ME

Windows 98

Linux

Mac OS X

Mac OS 9

Mac OS 8

Windows CE.NET (Version 4.2 and greater)

For most of these operating systems two types of driver are available: Virtual COM Port (VCP) drivers and direct (D2XX) drivers. The VCP driver emulates a standard PC serial port such that the USB device may be communicated with as a standard RS232 device. The D2XX driver allows direct access to a USB device via a DLL interface.

To locate the drivers you want to install for a device, select which of the driver types you wish to use (VCP or D2XX) and then locate the appropriate operating systems. With the exception of Windows 98 and Windows ME, all devices are supported in each driver package.

Okay which one do I download VCP or D2XX? I have windows xp

I went to the website you linked and did not see a chipset upgrade, i have a compaq presario S3200NX desktop is there anywhere else i may find this?

Thanks for all youre help its much appreciated

I can remove the program but right now it is the only way i have to get online, but if i unplug the USB cable and shut down the program and leave it off the computer will stay on fine, but if the comp has been on a while and i go to load the program and plug the cable in it crashes i have yet to figure out if its when i plug the cable im or load the program that causes the crash. i am still narrowing it down

What you need to do is go HERE and update all your drivers.

It may well be that the FTDI drivers are also packaged at the above wesite.

The problem I`m having is not knowing what you use the FTDI drivers for.

I agree that the FTDI website doesn`t appear to be much help.

is there any way i can figure our what uses those drivers on my end? I sure do appreciate youre help. I see you have a yahoo Icon, May i message you on it? If not ill understand
Barb

I think quite possibly the best thing to do would be to contact Compaq, and tell them what problems you`re having, and ask them what ftdibus.sys is used for.

In the meantime I stiill recommend that you download, and install the latest drivers for your system.

I don`t know what your computer uses the ftdibus.sys driver for, and there`s absolutely no point in me trying to guess.

Alternatively. You could start another thread in the device drivers forum, and ask what the ftdibus.sys driver is used for.

With over 40,000 members, there`s a good chance someone will know.

as we speak I am d/ling and updating every single driver from the hp site I also posted in the drivers forum

Thanks
Barb

I will let you know if all the driver installs correct the problem in a few hrs after i have installed them all, I will also let you know of any posts on the driver file

I Looked in my system info and found this i hope it helps, FTDIBUS USB serial converter driver is there a way to upgrade this or fix it? If this is what is causing it, the would make sense because when i unplug it from the USB port on the front the comps fine, is it just this USB port? I have 4 total in my comp.

Barb

Do you have any documentation for the device?

If you have, be sure to read it first before doing anything else.

Go HERE and download the vcp driver for Windows XP. You will see it`s dated 5/1/06.

Uninstall the old driver, then install the new driver.

Let us know if it helps.

I dont have any documentation at all for that device, i bought this computer thru rent a center and did not recieve any papers with it at all, so should i just download and install the driver? and how do I uninstall the old one
Thanks

You can uninstall the old driver from either add remove programmes in your control panel, or if nothing is in there. Uninstall it from your device manage.

Then, reboot your computer, and install the new driver.

Okay now Um, LOl Im sorry what don i remove? I have looked for the file in add and remove and device manager I am suppose to remove ftdibus.sys driver ??? I am not quite sure what to remove here,

thanks
barb

Look for this FTDIBUS USB serial converter driver in your device manager, and right click on it, and choose uninstall.

when i look in device manager and look at usb high speed serial converter and click on properties that is the driver for that USB, when i click on driver i have update uninstall driver details and rollback, I just click on uninstall correct?

ladypegasus said:
when i look in device manager and look at usb high speed serial converter and click on properties that is the driver for that USB, when i click on driver i have update uninstall driver details and rollback, I just click on uninstall correct?

Yes that`s correct.

Once it`s uninstalled, reboot your computer, and install the new drivers.

so far so good

howard_hopkinso said:
Yes that`s correct.

Once it`s uninstalled, reboot your computer, and install the new drivers.

I removed the old driver, the only way i could remove it was by leaving the cord plugged into the comp, I guess the cord registsers as a high speed usb converter ( its for a internet connection via a cell phone ) I restarted windows, the file i downloaded sisnt have a installer with it, it had a uninstall so i did that then plugged in the cord, it said new device and i manualy added the new drivers, it seems to be working fine, for further reference if anyone else has this problem It is a LG cell phone with the internet wire to connect to a laptop or desktop via USB that created this problem to start with, everytime i opened the acess program it would dump the memory, or sometimes it would run a hr or so then dump memory, I will post back in a few days iand let you know if this corected my problem, thank you so much for youre help, this is a wonderful web site!

Barb

Thanks for letting us know.

I`ll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Please will you edit the thread you made in the device drivers forum, so that members know that you no longer need the information.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back