Need help bad! (crash,freeze,errors)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhodes132

I have had many problems with my PC and it is driving me crazy because i can't seem to fix it. When i open games or progams, either while loading the program or shortly after, my computer will either freeze or just restart itself. When i am playing a game such as Counter Strike Source, it will exit my game with some error message from a duration of playing for 1 min- 20 min if im lucky. Sometimes right when i load windows it will just restart itself even after i have disabled all but the important startup itemself. Sometimes when it freezes it will make some excruciating noise and i will have to reset or turn off to make it stop. I have tried reformatting twice, which i am almost positive i did correctly but nothing seems to fix any of these problems. If anyone can please help me it would be greatly appreciated!

Can you describe the "excruciating noise" a bit? Can you identify where it is coming from?

These random crashes could be caused by any number of things, and the only thing you can do is troubleshoot to rule things out, one at a time.

I'd start with the list in this thread here and see if you can find what is causing you the headaches:

https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic44306.html

no doubt its a hardware problem, give up on the reformatting. is the noise comming from the hd? fans? do you have sufficent cooling?

open 'er up and give her a peek inside, any identifiable problems?

I dont know exactly where the noise comes from but it def come from somewhere inside the computer. I never really tried to listen for where it was coming from because the noise was so loud and annoying ide just shut the computer off immediatly, but when it happens i hear around my comp for it. I have a heat seeker fan a long with 3 other fans on my case and a cpu fan. I have looked inside and havnt seen any identifiable problems. Its hard to do much on my computer now as it will freeze even while trying to get to this site. Nagual, I have been to that tutorial about a week ago and none if it really helped my computer out, the system restore for some reason wouldn't even go back to the point of when the problems really started. I probably hardware problem but how would i know which part of my computer is having the problem?

I found the source of the excruciating sound and it wasnt in the computer it was actually the speakers that are making it.

Specs

here are my specs:

CPU: Amd Athlon 64, 1800 MHz 2800+
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-K8NS
Motherboard Chipset: nVIDIA nForce3 250, AMD Hammer
Ram Speed, size and #sticks: dual 512mb (total 1024mb) (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
GPU: nVIDIA GeForce FX 5700LE (256 mb)
PSU (do not leave this out): i am guessing this is Power Supply Unit which im not totally sure what your looking for in this but i have Scorpio 868W case and on box for case it says ATX 12V PSU Supports Intel and AMD
fans: i have whatever fans that came with all that i bought which i think is 3 regular fans, 1 cpu fan, and 1 heet seeking fan.

Is the noise coming from the case's internal speakers, or is it your external (regular use) speakers?

Your power supply is the Raidmax 420w with 13amps on the 12v rail. Raidmax are knows to provide very questionable psus. Not saying this is the problem, but when I saw you had a raidmax case the first thing that comes to mind is PSU problem...

it is my external speakers, yea it's a raidmax, i dont quite know what that is or what it does though. If this was a PSU problem, how could i go about fixing this?

In the link I gave you in the first post above, did you check your "event viewer"? Are you sure there were NO errors being reported? We may need you to post some mini-dumps. But first, tell us about the event viewer.

In my event viewer it is finding errors but it doesnt really explain how to fix these errors. They are mostly application errors but there are a few system errors here and there. In the program speed van here are some readings that i have

SpeedFan readings -

Fan1:3375 RPM
Fan2:0
Fan3:0

Vcore1: 1.57V
Vcore2: 2.54V
+3.3V: 3.28
+5V: 3.44
+12V: 11.71V

temp1: 25C
temp2: 32C
temp3: 71C
Temp: 1C
HD0: 27C

here are a few descriptions of some errors in the application even viewer:
-Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 6.0.2900.2180, faulting module kernel32.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x0000979d. ( has a lot of these)
-Fault bucket 127972561.
-Faulting application firefox.exe, version 1.8.20060.11112, faulting module xpcom_core.dll, version 1.8.20060.11112, fault address 0x000017c2.
-Fault bucket 128260302.
-Faulting application drwtsn32.exe, version 5.1.2600.0, faulting module dbghelp.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x0001295d.

System
-The SPBBCSvc service terminated with service-specific error 4294967295 (0xFFFFFFFF). ( a few those)
-Error code 1000007e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 f711a761, parameter3 f78ce698, parameter4 f78ce394.
-Error code 10000050, parameter1 e2ffb40c, parameter2 00000000, parameter3 f76c73c9, parameter4 00000002.

Wow. Your +5v rail looks like it is in pretty bad shape. Regardless of whether or not this is the cause of your problems (and it very well might be), you may want to consider a new PSU. You can get a solid psu for under $50 these days. Have a look at this thread before buying: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=792566

As for your "system" errors reported above. In the event viewer, under the description of the error it gives you a link to click on to get more details. Click on that link, and see what it recommends.

here are a few mini dumps if u need them:
i have looked at the description and all of that junk in the website but the website just didnt really explain how to fix my problem

Thank you for all you time and help it is greatly appreciated even if it doesn't fix my problem. =)

Are you sure it is my power supply? my friend's dad knows a good bit computer and he said that i wouldn't be able to load windows xp at all if my power supple was messed up. So before i went out and bought a new one, just want to know if what he said is true.

Not true, unfortunately. I wish it was.

There are varying levels of "bad" psus. If it is a DEAD psu, then you can't boot into windows, but a bad one will more often than not still let you boot into windows. There are all kinds of things a bad PSU can do, but one is send out inconsistent currents. If you are lucky, this will only cause random crashes or error messages. Unlucky and the PSU will start frying some of your hardware.

I have recently gave my computer to my friend's dad for him to fix my problem. He was going to change my power supply with one that he has after he has done some test because he really didn't think it was a Power supply problem. He came to the conclusion that i have a worm. He has deleted many of infected files but hasn't completely deleted the worm as my computer still freezes and locks up and stuff. Do have any solutions into finding all the infected files that this worm has infected? He says that he needs some adminstrator password for windows recovery, but i dont ever remember having an administrator password ... how am i to find out this password?

I had a feeling i had some virus and worm and have already seen this thread. I followed it step by step. Not skipping any step and taking my time. It probably took me about 1h maybe more to do this. It found a couple of things and i cleaned all that i could. My computer ran a little better but still froze often and blue screens often as well. Then i gave it to my friends dad where he found a worm and removed some of the files infected. So do you have any other tutorials or anything that will guide me into killing the whole worm? [ There was one program i couldn't get which i believe was adaware personal SE, so i skipped that but i know this couldn't possible fix the worm thaty i have, i do have spy doctor and did use this as well to clean whatever it found. ]

I have also have downloaded many different trial versions of virus scanners to find the best. I has Norton Anti virus 2006 with 1 month subscription and it foudn a few viruses and was deleted. Then deleted norton and downloaded kasperspy to see if it was better. I couldn't even finish the virus scan with kasperspy as it would freeze after about 10% but found 3 viruses by that 10%. So about the 3rd time i tried i just stopped it right when it found the 3 viruses and deleted them and then restarted and scanned again except this time it fully scanned and my computer ran a little better. ( ALL OF THIS WAS DONE IN SAFE MODE).

I'm confused. You started staying your PC would just randomly crash/BSOD and that you tried 2 reformats and reinstall of Windows. So right there that should rule out spyware, trojans, viruses, worms, colon pulips and any other thing living on your HD. Why do you still believe it's a software problem and not a hardware one? Ok it might be true that you do have a few nasties living on your HDD, but I think the BSOD and general freezing are PSU related.

When you have 3.44V on the 5V rail you have a hardware problem. The 5V rail is what runs all the electronics in the PC. When a PSU is going bad it can simulate all sorts of hardware/software issues( worms included). I strongly recommend you replace your PSU before you damage your nice PC.

My friend's dad is going to install a new hard drive and reinstall windows xp PRO edition which is fine with me because it will all be free for me and then i can shove it in his face that it was actually a PSU and get a new PSU to be installed =). I was thinking that myself, that if i reformatted it that would get rid of all worms,viruses and all that kind of stuff but supposely he said it was a worm that stayed in my registry or boot up sector or something like that.

UGHHHHH!!! Ok now i have a hard drive thats been completely sweeped with windows pro added on it, a brand new power supply (400w +12v @ 34), nortons antivirus 2006 and more programs ( for viruses and spyware and adaware). My computer doesn't blue screen any more but it freezes constantly!!! can anyone tell me my problem?

Take a quick peek in your event viewer to see what it is reporting there:

Right click on "my computer" "manage" then go to the event viewer and browse around in there for errors. Most likely a driver needs to be updated somewhere.

Hopefully it is not bad ram....

That's a very good point DonN, may I also suggest he check for any IRQ conflicts. Just in case: Device Manager, click View/ Resources by type, then expand IRQ.

I know you would just love to take it out of the PC and hit me with it but I still say it's the PSU. 400W crappy is still a crappy. I literally blew up a 450W crappy with my new system within a week of building it. Your specs are pretty close to mine, you have a nice rig. But let's say mine is just a little harder on the PSU, I was playing HL2 and suddenly I heard a puff and a ball of smoke rolled out the back of the computer. :eek: Now because my rig is just a little more powerful then yours, mine can peak out the power draw on a PSU that little bit more. Do you see where I'm going with this? Your rig is just on the "hairy" edge of almost blowing that 400W PSU, but because it's not quit blowing it's straining and the voltages are flucuating. This will cause the PC to BSOD, Freeze, lock-up, all sorts of bad behavior.

You said you had an improvement, no BSODs, but now freezing... you're almost there, you just need a little more power and she'll run just fine.

Specs:
AMD 64 3500+ Venice
MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum SLI
OZC Premium PC3200 2 X 512
WD Raptor 10000 RPM SATA 36Gb
LG DVD/RW
GeForce 6600GT 128Mb PCI-E
Zalman 71000 CU CPU cooler.
2 case fans.
SEE I'm not even that overloading with opticals and HDD and 20 fans and a coffee maker and I blew the livin' crap outta that 450W crappy I had.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back