Frequent BSOD System Crash **Need Serious Help**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, i have recently put together a new pc and i have been getting system restarts quite frequently. Sometimes as many as 4 a day.

This is really throwing off my uni work as im worried about it crashing and it just annoys me and distracts me from my uni work.

I have no idea what is causing the crashes. At first i thought it was faulty memory but i ran memtest twice, once for 2 hours and another time throughout the night and both came up clean.

System is as follows:
Windows XP Service Pack 2
Amd Opteron 165
2Gb Skill Zx Ram
ATI x1900xtx 512mb
300gb maxtor sata hdd
160gb maxtor ide hdd
580w hiper modular psu
Biostar gforce 6100mp skt939 pci-e mobo (MATX)

I have attached a zip file which has 4 of my most recent memory dumps to help you help me sort out what this problem is.

Any help will be gradly appreciatted.

Cheers, Nixeh

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

All your minidumps crash with a bugcheck of 9C.

0x0000009C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION

This is a hardware issue: an unrecoverable hardware error has occurred. The parameters have different meanings depending on what type of CPU you have but, while diagnostic, rarely lead to a clear solution. Most commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware (RAM, CPU, hardware bus, power supply, etc.), or from pushing hardware beyond its capabilities (e.g., overclocking a CPU).

See HERE for further info.

Regards Howard :)

Any help on how to find out what bit of hardware is actually causing the crash. Im a student and i dont have any spare components lying around apart from fans useless bits and bobs.

Check for overheating.

Check your psu is powerful enough for your system. See this PSU Wattage Calculator.

Make sure there are no shortcircuits between your mobo and case.

Make sure everything is seated correctly.

Disconnect anything not required to run your system.

Try running your system with just one stick of ram. try using a different dimm slot.

Take a look HERE and follow the instructions.

Right i done a page file clearing that was suggested soewhere else and its still crashed.

Checked the case and cant find anywhere that would be short circuiting it. My psu is fully capable of running all my stuff through according to the psu wattage calculator.

Would trying 1 stick of ram at a time really solve the prob even though ive checked the ram with memtest86 and also, the ram has to be in 1 and 2 (1 and 3 physically) right, i cant change it to 3 and 4 (2 and 4 physically)

Im stumped to what to do.

Running with only one stick of ram might help.

It would rule out a bad dimm slot for a start.

Hardware problems can be very difficult to diagnose.

So it really is a case of trying/testing everything you can.

If after running your system with the bare minimum of components, you still get 9C errors, then at least it narrows it down a little.

im wondering if too much thermal compound or too little would be causing this problem. as im starting to lean torwards a bus error on the cpu itself.

Nixeh said:
im wondering if too much thermal compound or too little would be causing this problem. as im starting to lean torwards a bus error on the cpu itself.

Too much or too little thermal compound, would result in overheating of the cpu.

Take off the heatsink and clean off the old thermal pade/paste using a little isopropyl alcohol. Reapply some new themal paste to the cpu die and reattach the heatsink. See HERE for instructions on how to apply thermal paste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back