Solve my mouse problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

subzer0

So my mouse issue is that whenever it freezes up, the mouse driver disappears in my tray. When it continues working again, the mouse driver reappears. What happens is I get sporadic mouse freezes for about 1-2 seconds. Anyone know the answer to this?

you gave no specs on the mouse... is it USB? PS2?

it sounds to me like you have a USB mouse with a bad wire, which is causing it to disconnect/reconnect... but this is only a guess

Drivers uninstalling and reinstalling could be trojan or virus. Have you done a scan for these?

I was thinking it was a virus but I have done numerous adware/virus checks with Spybot, Adaware, online scanners, AVG and I have found nothing. Also, all the USB mice I use get the same problem. I have tried Driver Cleaner as well

You could try a clean boot,that might provide a clue.
Go into msconfig startup tab and uncheck everything except maybe firewall/AV.

I found a process called NPROTECT.exe that i couldn't get get rid of. Could this be a virus of some sort?

That`s Norton`s protected recycle bin thing.Are there any processes in the task manager who`s CPU usage increases in sync with your mouse freeze ?

Have you got any suitable system restore points ?

It might be a weird conflict between 2 or more programs sharing some dll. When did this problem start? Have you recently installed a new application?

My HP1200 printer, Corecell (mobo software) and Photoshop7 hated each other, if I had all 3 installed I would have random loss of my ICS network.

When my mouse freezes, the light starts to flicker and go dim. Sometimes the computer boots up without the mouse working

Services.exe is Ok ONLY if it`s in the system 32 folder.

Do you have any other usb devices connected ?

Have you tried safe mode ?

Do you have any system restore points ?

So many questions,so little use.

Here are the numerous problems that I have been having, but I'm not sure all of them are related to each other.

1) Mouse: Whenever it freezes up, the mouse driver disappears in my tray. When it continues working again, the mouse driver reappears. What happens is I get sporadic mouse freezes for about 1-2 seconds.I have tested multiple USB mice and I get the same problems even using default drivers. I have tried using different USB ports/hubs as well as reformatting. I have not tried PS/2.

2) In the Device Manager, I realized that when my mouse freezes, under Human Interface Devices, the USB Human Interface Device disappears and appears repeatedly. Sometimes it doesn't disappear, but displays an error saying: Device could not start.

3) Opening up TaskManager (ctrl+alt+del) causes my CPU Usage to spike to 100%. Moving my mouse increases my CPU Usage by about 10%. Clicking and dragging the TaskManager gives me a spike to about 60%. Opening folders
spikes to 80%. When alttabbed out of a game, I have 0-2% CPU Usage.

4) In some games, my graphics card temperature RAPIDLY INCREASES (+20C in about 2 minutes from 52 C). If i alttab out of the game, the temperature RAPIDLY DECREASES (-1C every 3 seconds). Sometimes while playing
CounterStrike, if I alttab, I get a nv4_mini.sys error. Usually my mouse starts acting up at high temperatures, but not always.

I've tried many solutions but none of them worked. I have managed to stop the problems very briefly by reformatting. There were no problems AT ALL for about 2 months and then things started acting up. I am 90% sure there are no viruses/adware on my computer. I have run memtest as well; no errors.

If things really can't be fixed then I guess I'll have to reformat again and find out what the problem is by elimination.

Another thought: Are you OCing the CPU? Thought: increased FSB could interfer with the USB bus. Have you installed the lastest mobo drivers? Have you contacted the mobo manufacturer or their website to see if others have
similar prob?

I take it when you mean the driver uninstalls in the toolbar, you mean the mouse icon, (because it's a USB device your mobo treats it as a hot P&P) so this would be just like plugging and unplugging the mouse over and over again right? If this is what's happenning with all mice and all USB ports, then I would suspect a mobo problem.

I'll just keep circling around this thread in case I have any more Brilliant thoughts! :angel:

You`ve probably already done this,but I didn`t see it stated anywhere,have you updated /reinstalled the video drivers ?

Try reducing hardware acceleration.

Think really hard about what software/hardware changes you made before the problem started.

kirock said:
I take it when you mean the driver uninstalls in the toolbar, you mean the mouse icon, (because it's a USB device your mobo treats it as a hot P&P) so this would be just like plugging and unplugging the mouse over and over again right? If this is what's happenning with all mice and all USB ports, then I would suspect a mobo problem.
Yes kirock you're right about the mouse unplugging :). I was expecting a mobo problem too. I should probably also say that when I used Motherboard Monitor to check my CPU temperatures, it gave me -76C and a bunch of other negative numbers. Keep up the suggestions I got a feeling were on the right track.

Btw, no I didn't OC my comp, and yes I already tried every driver for my graphics card.

I'll try reinstalling mobo drivers.

did the mouse (or any of the other mice you tested) come with a USB-to-PS2 adapter??, USB mice and USB keyboards often times come with these little adapters, if you have one try it out, it'll probably stop your "freezing"

I going to sum up my thoughts:

The USB ports all run on a common BUS and all take power from a common rail (in most mobo layouts). All USB mice in all USB ports behave the sameway, random disconnect/light flickering on/off in sequence.

Possible causes????:
1) A voltage regulator on the mobo which feeds the USB ports is failing. Mobo hardware. Look for buldged caps, something running hot.
2) The USB data bus is overclocked/underclocked thus loosing communication with the mouse, considers it disconnected and drops it from the P&P list.
a) Mobo Hardware: b) BIOS settings; c) Bad BIOS; d) Corrupt mobo drivers.
3) something else connected on the USB ports: example: printer, or hot pluggable HDD etc is pulling too much power.
4) You have a very nice PSU (mines the 480W model) but somehow got a lemon?

That's it for now I'm tapped. Back to circling mode. :cool:

Cheers.

Any resolution on this?

I have the exact same mouse and motherboard, and had the setup for about a year before it started giving me the same problems. Now it seems to be working correctly only about 50% of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back