Are you up for a challange? Motherboard, CPU, RAM problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sick of this computer, when i first got it, it was amazing because i could do anything. i could search the web fast, play games and never get an error, and it would never restart itself.

My family bought this computer because my old one (which is running perfectly fine now) would restart itself. the problem with that computer was the RAM speed in BIOS was set wrong. This computer has the same problem my brother said when he reset it when the computer wouldnt load, but its much more then that.

We lost the manual to this Biostar Motherboard, would somebody here help me find out what kind it is, i believe its one of the reasons i get "PAGE FAULT IN NON PAGED AREA"

But then i have another problem. my CPU speed is supposed to be 1.7. But for some odd reason it thinks it 1.2.

It has been like this for 7 months and its fustrating, right now i have spyware but i am the only one who ever uses this computer, atleast i think its spyware because for example, i'll type in google.com, it'll say page cannot be displayed, then after typing it in 2 or 3 times it finally works, its just not google. im running ad-aware right now fixing this problem

the main point i made this topic for is too stop my computer from restarting itself

When i type in dxdiag.exe in run, the settings all say there fine

settings.png

There has been 1 problem wrong with this computer that i never really minded, until all this other stuff started acting up, now im getting fustrated.

i have an Nvidia GeForce4 MX 440, and for 3D games, sometimes but not all the time it will start going glitchy, like say when i play Fly for fun, it'll take part of the mountain or grass and stretch it all over the place. i'll show some photos.

http://www.freephotohost.info/images/Mike1892/messed1.png

its been like this before i even formatted, when i first bought this computer i played Pristontale and the day i got it i had this problem, it only happends when im playing for long periods of time, i just reload the game and its usually fine.

But then i have another problem. my CPU speed is supposed to be 1.7. But for some odd reason it thinks it 1.2.
Go into the BIOS and check the FSB and CPU multiplier. They should be 133MHz and 13 repsectively.

For spyware download Spybot and Ad-aware SE.

The PC will restart itself on error if you have it set to do so in Start-up and Recovery. Right click on My computer/Properties/Advanced Tab/Start-up Recocvery settings. Uncheck the Automatically Restart box in system error block. The PC will also restart if the power supply is old and weak. Go here to calculate your PSU watts needs. http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp

The gfx card problem is either pure age and dieing or overheating. When is the last time you cleaned the heatsink and fan of both the CPU and GPU?

Cheers.

Yes they are 133.

Can you tell me how i can find exactly what type my CPU is?

The last time i cleaned the inside was in march.

EDIT: nvm, i wont be able to complete this without help from somebody who knew everything in my computer, thank you anyways

to find out what type of cpu you have just go to control panel > system. it should be listed at the "Computer" part.

For motherboard information, search for and download the free CPU-Z program. It's a standalone program that isn't installed. It will tell you your motherboard make and model as well as other info such as RAM memory and processor.

Once you have the motherboard info, you can go to the manufacturers site and find the manual.

Nvm, i must have downloaded the wrong program

ok my Processer is called AMD Athon XP

The motherboard is nVidia-nForce

Before all these problems with my computer i remember it having a number (I think)

when people talk about there CPU problems, they are like "Athon 1000" for example not Athon tm

Well there is the AMD athlon X5, K5, K6, K7, TBird, MP and the XP. It you have a 133MHx FSB and a 13 multi then it's most likely an MP or an XP. You could have an MP or an XP 2100+. How old is the PC?

I'm not sure y you're having probs with CPU-Z, try Everest.

Ok but last time i screwed around in BIOS i accidently screwed it up so the computer wouldnt start back up, my bro had to switch a CMOS or something,

would you be kind enough to explain how to do everything so i wont make a mistake

Edit: Would this stop my computer from getting PAGE FAULT IN NON PAGE AREA?

Ok i know what im doing i think, but if i screw something up, do you want to explain how i can make it so my computer will start back to normal again? whats CMOS?

Edit: Would this stop my computer from getting PAGE FAULT IN NON PAGE AREA?
That error can be a faulty driver and dieing Hardrive, a failing PSU or faulty RAM.
What are the spec of your PSU? It's a few years old and when they get old and weak they can cause all sorts of hardware failing symptoms. Read my post I gave you above and try out the extreme calculator link. Then post back witht he watts and amps of each voltage output of your PSU.

I'll pick this up in the morning. :zzz:
Good night.

Mike1892 said:
Ok i know what im doing i think, but if i screw something up, do you want to explain how i can make it so my computer will start back to normal again? whats CMOS?

If you screw it up really bad you reset CMOS, this a Read only memory on the mobo. You do this by removing the thin battery on the mobo for 10minutes and then reinstalling it. Most likely all you need to do is enter BIOS again and select fail safe defaults. Save and Exit.

It was Successful, my CPU is 1665mhz.

Thank you, i've noticed an increase when loading windows and some applications, perhaps i should try to see if the computer will restart itself or give me a blue screen

Yes it still does, i get this when

-Installing New files
-Overwriting files, like hitting save, then save again, or copying then pasting a file over another one.

Faulty RAM most likely. Download and run memtest86. read thru the post I sent you and click on the link in htere to follow Howard's instructions to post minidumps. Also look at the label on the power supply. It has 12V, 3.3V, 5V and then numbers beside or below each of those. These are the amps. Post back your PSU info. See the pic attach of a PSU label at this link:
https://www.techspot.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=5946
Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back