Connecting Laptop to a Wireless Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

IBN

I have a friend who already has a wireless netowork. The problem is that hes just bought a new Laptop with Wi Fi and it wont connect to the wireless network, The network isnt encrypted and it doent show up either.

I saw SSID network on another one of his laptops, then typed that in maually into the Laptop that cannot connect to the net/network with and it still cant connect!!!

I have tried repair that dont work either.

Read The Friendly Manual? Especially the part that explains how to enable the wireless radio - usually you have to press some button to do that.

Nodsu said:
Read The Friendly Manual? Especially the part that explains how to enable the wireless radio - usually you have to press some button to do that.

I did that. When i press the button it still says wireless network unavailable.

Hello,

Try to go to the instaled devices on the control panel->system and check if the wireless is correctly instaled, could be on some type of conflict with some other hardware.

Regards

Is it a button or a physical switch? Does the button actually work? There is some software behind those special buttons that may be broken or disabled. A tiny light should come on somewhere on the laptop indicating that wireless radio is active.

when i press the button the balloon shows up on the bottom right side of the screen saying that "wireless network unavailable" so the button is working i reckon.

btw
he had taken the laptop to where he had bought it from and it worked there.

Other laptops tend to have some kind of intel software where in a user friendly way you can configure the network settings. This laptop has to be configured using the windows os.

IBN said:
I saw SSID network on another one of his laptops, then typed that in maually into the Laptop that cannot connect to the net/network with and it still cant connect!!!

make sure MAC filtering isnt on, make sure ssid broadcast is on. if you manage to connect, turn mac filtering on and ssid broadcast off again.

this is real strange!! try downloading the latest drivers and try upgrading the router firmware.

ibn said:
btw
he had taken the laptop to where he had bought it from and it worked there.

my guess is that its the router. double check ALL the settings again just to make sure it isnt something he accidently turned on.

try this: using the router config, backup all your settings using the router tool and on paper as well. then reset the router to factory defaults, and see if it connects. if it doesnt then restore the backed up settings, and if it does, set all the settings manually again.
also, do you have the make/model of the router and laptop. it might come in useful.

altheman said:
try this: using the router config, backup all your settings using the router tool and on paper as well. then reset the router to factory defaults, and see if it connects. if it doesnt then restore the backed up settings, and if it does, set all the settings manually again.
also, do you have the make/model of the router and laptop. it might come in useful.

I have given up. I dont think restoring factory settings will do any good since its on a basic config anyway......
Ow well i tried. He'l have toi show it to a professional now.

Thanx peeps you been alot of help :)

Erm, if they were all there, then it most certainly won't work.. Are you sure you know wth you are doing?

Nodsu said:
Erm, if they were all there, then it most certainly won't work.. Are you sure you know wth you are doing?

Sorry I misread this post. Yes the network and the Laptop supports all types a,b and g

IBN said:
Sorry I misread this post. Yes the network and the Laptop supports all types a,b and g

Which do you want to use? I use only g and have everything set to g-auto on the wireless laptop. This one should be what you have with the ACER if it's new.

The folks at www.passmark.com have a wireless mon, you can try it for 30 days, so far it looks like a good idea. Tells you what's around and whats going on inside your home. Like what wireless errors you're getting an etc. This way I wa able to fix this wireless problem with the new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back