Right click causes "busy", lock up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsmileb

Recent problem in XP home. Right clicking causes a "busy" indication essentially locking up. Task manager shows empty. I do not recognize anything problematic in the "running processes". I can use the task manager to log off or shut down, but I can do little else.

I tried a NVram dump, but it appears to be a Windows problem, not a Bios problem.

What am I missing?

This is Peddant`s right click menu freeze answer -

A faulty Explorer shell extension put in the right click menus appears to be the problem.Known culprits include Photoshop,Divvx and Spysweeper.

From - http://www.ghisler.ch/wiki/index.ph...C_causing_crash

1.Go to Regedit

2.Key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

In this key, all shell extensions are listed which work with all files. The * is a real star, it does not mean 'any key' here!

3. Choose "Registry" - "export registry", so you can revert your changes later. Choose to export only the selected branch.

4. Now delete one context menu handler after the other, and then try each time in (Windows Explorer) whether right click works again. This way you should find the defective extension.

5. When you have found it, you need to double click the .reg-file created above to restore all shell extensions, and then delete only the malfunctioning extension.

You may have to repeat this with the keys

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

or

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

If the error happens with directories or with virtual folders.

Found another fix.

Peddant,

Your answer may be the absolutely correct version of what is happening. But, when I went into Task Handler, processes, and then right clicked the process appeared " verclsid.exe". I did a Google search and found that this was part of a recent Windows update. The suggestion was to do a search on the C: for that file and to rename it "verclsid.bak". I did what was suggested and everything is working fine.

That is the second time in a week that I've run into problems with Windows Update additions. Apparently the "verclsid.exe" was part of a recent XP Home update. The other problem was with my XP MCE box, where I had to roll back the most recent Media Center upgrade.

Thanks for the suggestion. If this fix fails, I'll try what you suggest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back