Windows genuine advantage does not install on computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tedster

For some weird reason the latest version of windows genuine advantage update won't install on my dekstop. And yes- the computer is legit and has been for a long time. There haven't been any significant changes or installations. The majority of my software is open source.

From BILL.G.

Q:Will users of non-genuine Windows be blocked from receiving security updates?

A:No. Regardless of genuine status, users will not be denied access to critical security updates.
Users who have not validated their computers as genuine, however, will not be able to install
many updates, including Internet Explorer 7.0 and Windows Defender. Microsoft strongly recommends
that users of non-genuine systems correct their problem immediately.

The following is my own personal opinion, and in no way represents the views of TechSpot.

Personally I've bypassed mine quite deliberately. It's genuine anyway, but I'd rather NOT have it reporting on the state of my installation everyday to MS thankyou.

For antipiracy reasons, I shan't tell anybody or direct them to a guide on how to do it, but I will say that it's not hard for anybody with reasonable knowledge of windows. I certainly don't condone it for non-genuine users, but I strongly disagree with genuine users being spied on.

Of course, critical updates are available to all through XP's automatic updates feature. :)

the problem is my copy of XP is legit and has been from he start. This problem has only cropped up recently with no obvious reason.

ok. Well, only a few files are involved. If you remove them manually/rename them, Windows Update should think that it's not installed, and thus should offer you to install it.

Try going to system32, and renaming...

... legitcheckcontrol.dll to legitcheckcontrol.dll.old
... wgatray.exe to wgatray.exe.old
... wgalogon.dll to wgalogon.dll.old

... and finally, delete the data.dat file from "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Windows Genuine Advantage\data"

Also, as with all winlogon functions, there is an appropriate key in the registry, which you may consider removing. Simply fix the 020 entry "wgalogon.dll" with HJT (...or simply delete, after first creating a backup by exporting the key, the wgalogon folder in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WinlogonNotify").

reboot your computer, and try installing it again and hopefully (as everything will be gone) it should proceed well. :)

well, maybe not, which is why I suggested that you may consider it.

Though it should be said that HJT will remove the key by your fixing the entry if you choose to without your entering the registry (make sure HJT is in it's own folder for backup reasons though). Try it without removing it, and if it doesn't work, try it with removing it :)

thanks. I'll give it a try.

I also notifed M$. They sent me a generated email and will give advice in 24hrs also. I'll compare it to yours.

hi
i had the same issue ,i dont think u will be able to updae windows untill it validates
I have the info to fix this,{ very annoying } problem , it did not let me install updates ttill the time windows did not validate ,
there are 4 ways to fix tthis, I have the tool as well , lets see what ms provides u

I got this answer from M$ and it works:

This issue can occur if an older version of the control had been downloaded on the machine previously and was not installed or failed to be installed. I suggest we go to the Windows Update website (http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com, select custom install and select update KB905474 to reinstall th
e update again and see if the issue still persists. If the issue continues, let us take the following steps to troubleshoot this issue.

Step 1: Manually install KB905474
=========================
1. Please download the update KB905474 from the following website link and save it on to your Desktop:
http://www.download.windowsupdate.c..._4bafa8793e8cdcaf4ba4ffc494df32d496154544.exe

Note: Since the above URL address is quite long, and separated on two lines. Please copy and paste the URL to the address bar to access it, rather than clicking the hyperlink directly.

2. After downloading the update, please double-click the downloaded file on to your Desktop, and it will be launched automatically. Please follow the instructions to install it.

If the update can be successfully installed locally, please go to the Windows Update website to see if it is reoffered again. If it isn't, this issue is resolved. If the problem cannot be resolved by the above steps, please refer to the following steps to troubleshoot it:

Step 2: Rename the Window Update temporary folder called Softwaredistribution using the steps below.
===========================================
The problem may occur if the temporary folder Windows Update has been corrupted. We can refer to the following steps to rename this folder. Please note that the folder will be created again once we visit the Windows Update site again.

1. Click Start, click Run, and type "cmd" (without quotations) and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window to stop Automatic Updates service.

Type in "net stop WuAuServ" (without quotations) and press Enter.

Note: Please ensure the Automatic Updates service is stopped before we try to rename the folder.

2. Click Start, click Run, and type in "%windir%" (without quotations) and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the SoftwareDistribution folder to SDold.

4. Click Start, click Run, and type in "cmd" (without quotations) and press Enter. Please run the command "net start WuAuServ" in the opened window to restart the service Automatic Updates.

After completing the above steps, please refer to the Windows Update website to install the WGA Notifications again. If the issue persists, please assist me in collecting the following information for further research.

-------------------
thanks spike, I never did get the chance to try yours, but thanks for the help anyway.

cool. No problem. It sounds as though mine might have worked too, but it's sorted now, which is the main thing. :) Thanks for getting back to the thread and letting us know :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back