Cannot boot xp. ntfs.sys blue screen 0x00000024

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a big problem. Windows XP pro got a blue screen suddenly. And now it can't boot. normal mode... safe mode, recover console,... anything. Also if I put the hard drive in another computer then that computer doesn't boot either.... and always the same blue screen with this error...

ERROR 0x00000024
NTFS.SYS

and it says... check the disk with CHDSK /F to repair the problem.... but I can't because I can't access to anything to do a CHKDSK...

What can I do ?
Thanks

can't boot to recovery console... when the c: prompt is going to be shown... the blue screen appears. I'm going to try to boot with the windows 2000 boot disk with that ntfs.sys disabled to try to do a chkdsk... thanks

I've tried with XP boot disks. but the file to modify and disable the ntfs driver is compressed. so I'm trying with the w2x boot disks.

thanks.... I did the windows 2000 boot disk procedure.. and I have recovered all the data !!! perfect !!!!!!
what a fright.... thanksssss
:)

Re: winXPP 0x24 NTFS on boot

Ok, similar problem as Hed...

Compaq Evo N800v winXPP
system became increasingly sluggish, and now doesn't boot (in any type of mode) -just goes back to startup selection (safe mode, etc).

1) ran Compaq CMOS diagnostic, and physical HD tests were fine.

2) attempted winXPP Repair Console, however when attempting to 'Repair' get STOP 0x24 NTFS error

3) made Norton Ghost image of laptop drive to standard IDE HD.
Norton Ghost disk check also ran fine (on both Compaq and IDE HD).

4) found MS KB #228888 article (win2k STOP 0X24 NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM).
tried win2k boot disk (disable NTFS load)
able to access win2k Repair Console w/o STOP 0x24 error
CHKDSK /p returned "the volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems" on both laptop and IDE HD.

I'm willing to try winXPP boot disks... but I doubt it will make much difference (same NTFS)...

I've looked around the net for partition recovery software & services... any thing else I can try, or software to recommend?

Originally posted by hed
I have a big problem. Windows XP pro got a blue screen suddenly. And now it can't boot. normal mode... safe mode, recover console,... anything. Also if I put the hard drive in another computer then that computer doesn't boot either.... and always the same blue screen with this error...

ERROR 0x00000024
NTFS.SYS

and it says... check the disk with CHDSK /F to repair the problem.... but I can't because I can't access to anything to do a CHKDSK...

What can I do ?
Thanks

Sometimes the NTFS file structure can become corrupt in such a manner that it can no longer load. I've seen this before a couple of times. Even Recovery Console crashes (NTFS.sys blue screen).

The only way I have found to get around this a low-level fomat using a manufacturer's disk utility or deleting the partitions through FDISK and trying again.

Don't think its memory or hardware, as I get the 0X24 error on the Compaq laptop, my PC (PIII 800 w/ ASUS board), and a 3rd machine (AMD Duron 1.3 w/ Shuttle MK20 board).

I was able to Ghost w/o problem.
I've also run CMOS HD checks, and they run w/o problems.
This leads me to believe I am dealing with a corruption w/in the NTFS and not bad hardware.

I'm planning to re-format, and reload everything in the long run.
My objective is to recover documents, and outlook .pst file from the corrupted drive/NTFS partition.

anyone tried to recover w/ 3rd party softare, or recovery services?

-C

Okay, I broke down and purchased UNERASER DOS v2.1 from LSOFT.net http://www.uneraser.com/undelete.htm

UNERASER demo software allowed me to browse through my NTFS drive, and confirm access, etc. Purchased commericial license ($49)

Worked pretty good.

Was able to recover all msOffice documents (lost long file naming, but 8.3 works).
Haven't yet been able to recover outlook PST file (2.5 GB) results in transfer error...

C

Transferring files using data recovery programs is extremely IFFY. When you are dealing with a corrupted partition and are forced to read sectors instead of the file structure / MFT, it is nearly impossible to recovery large files. Fragmenation makes it very difficult. If you can find your files within the file structure, then you stand a much better chance.

You said you can Ghost your partition. Can you extract the files from your Ghost file using Ghost explorer?

This kind of thing happens all the time. When you finally get sick of it you remember to back everything up on a regular basis.

Ghost Explorer:
I used GHOST to duplicate the damaged NTFS laptop disk.
I copied DRIVE to DRIVE mode and didn't create an image.
I'll give that a try however. (create an image file on a good disc, and use Ghost Explorer to extract files)

Originally posted by Phantasm66
This kind of thing happens all the time. When you finally get sick of it you remember to back everything up on a regular basis.
Sick:
I'm plenty sick, and going to force user to save all docs to network drive.

C

1) I was able to create a ghost image on another (non-corrupt) drive. Ghost did complain that there were problems while creating image.
2) I was able to use Ghost Explorer (Norton Systemworks 2003) to browse around the image file. It worked in similar fashion to the software -wasn't able to extract the full outlooks .pst file yet.

too bad I already had the ability to extract these files via ghost instead of paying the $50 for the software which didn't work as well (DOS).

C

Well, my computer just decided to do this exact same thing to me, and I found these posts on google, your posts gave me some ideas, but I'm not as intelligent as the these other two, so I don't know how to do some of the things they mentioned.

For specifics, my computer rebooted for no reason while I was using it, and afterwards will not load into XP professional, it reboots nearing the end of the load screen. Also, I cannot access the recovery console, I get a friendly little blue screen. I'm not good at backing things up, so this basically has everything on it.

I'm hoping the drive isn't completely dead because it is still recognized by the motherboard. I now have another HD, but I would like to recover a lot of the files on that old drive, and if possible the drive itself.

If you guys have the time, I could use a Complete *****s Guide to the bootdisk procedure. Thanks a bunch.

Greetings yall

I had the same problem and i did the same things you did. But its really your memory i had two sticks of 256 of ddr ram and one of them went poop.

HI guys first time post here but i got a machine i am trying to fix for a friend....

here is what i got.....

asus a7n8x deluxe bios ver 1005

amd xp 3000 +

evga geforce fx 5900 ultra 256 mb agp video card

1.5b ddr 3200 ram (from crucial)

80 gig sata drive (maxtor)

I am getting the exact same thing.... i only get part of the stop code before the system reboots....

stop code 0x00000024 (0x00190.........

then reboots....

here is what i have done so far to try to find the problem

1. swapped hd with ide drive, with a fresh copy of xp pro on it... same problem

2. swapped ram with known working 2200 ddr ram (crucial as well) .......... same problem

3. swapped vga card with known working geforce 2 card.....same problem

4. for grins swapped out powersupply.........same problem

i figure i have swapped almost everything exepct the processor and the mb..... dont see how they could be the problem.....

any help would be great.... i dont mind reformatting this thing, but i have already doen that once before, it did fix the problem, gave the computer back to the guy and less tahn a week later same thing happened again......

thanks

Here's the fix

To fix this problem we need to do a few simple things. There is no need to image your drive yet. Save those time consuming tasks for emergencies.

- The ntfs.sys message rarely relates to drives that are physically bad. Only the ntfs.sys file is corrupt, and we just need to replace it with a fresh one.

- Find a way to access your ntfs hard drive and delete the ntfs.sys file (or replace it). If you delete the file and boot from a xp installation disk, you will be able to access the recovery console. You can accomplish this in many ways:

1) Boot from another hard disk and transfer NTFS.sys from windows/system32/drivers to the disk you are trying to fix.

2) Boot from a Boot CD that is capable of accessing NTFS disks. I recommend a LINUX OS because they have more features than normal boot cds. Try this one. http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html It's got some command line tools for NTFS:

- In some situations, you can use a Windows 2003 server CD to boot a drive with the damaged ntfs.sys file. I don't know why this works, but it does. Just don't copy the ntfs.sys file from the 2003 cd to your xp disk. It's different and it won't work. Still, the 2003 CD allows you to access the recovery console.

Hi,

I've just spent the day grappling with this problem & eventually got around it. Here's how, for anybody who needs the info:

There can be a number of reasons for the 0x000000024 error, in my case the disk was corrupt, but there was no hardware problem.

This can be fixed with chkdsk, but XP just went ballistic anytime it tried to mount the drive, so the problem was finding a way to run chkdsk....

The solution was to add the drive to a system that had XP already installed (2000 would also work) but it must be running on a FAT partition. Go into safe mode on that machine and rename ntfs.sys to ntfs.old in the Windows\System\Drivers directory. This will stop ntfs from being enabled, and so stop the drive being mounted.

Now, shutdown, add your corrupt drive and boot up normally. You can probably see the new drive appear in Explorer to get the drive label (e.g. E:) Now go to a command prompt and type:

chkdsk E: /f (or whatever the correct drive number is). Hopefully you'll see the errors being reported and fixed.

All going well you can then rename ntfs.old to ntfs.sys, and replace the drive in your original PC and get back to work. Take this chance to back up all your data though - if it happened once, it'll probably happen twice.

You can read more on this here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;228888

Good luck,
Karl O'Brien.

HEY ALL! First post here, saw this thread on google. I am having this problem with my computer right now and trying to fix it. I get the ntfs system error if i try to start teh computer in any mode, install a new copy of windows xp, or use the recovery mode. I cant get into the hard drive.

The problem is I CANNOT LOSE MY FILES.

I dont know how to fix this can someone please hlep me out? Thanks!

Win xp ntfs.sys blue screen 0x00000024

hed how did you fix the problem with your computer? U booted with Win2k boot disks but did u have the Win2k cd in the cd rom also? or did u have WinXP cd in the cd rom? Please explain me the steps you did to fix your machine. Help!!!!

Same Problem ntfs.sys

I have the same Problem I guess as Hed had, I have a 120 GIG hardrive that is not working because of the ntfs.sys Blue screen, I cant load Win XP Cd or anything like that either.

My Major Problem is that if I do get access to the hardrive with your help I cant delete the files on that drive, they are 5 years of work, all my passwords, assignments Projects working on concurrently, and basically my life achievements.

I had 2 partitions on that drive 70/50 70 Being my OS system and the 50 being where I store all my Important Data and Files.

I bought a New 80 GIG hardrive just to be able to use my PC for the next few days till I find a way back into my old Drive. I read the Forum on the Solution to Heds Problem

I dont know how I can use Win 2000 Boot Disks or Setup disks when I only have a Win XP CD.

I didnt understand what he meant by the win 2000 disk procedure or where he got it from can someone explain it to me in detail like you would to a computer noob thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back