Spontaneous rebooting on windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just upgraded my processor and motherboard and when trying to install windows i get a crapload of errors:

-Errors Partitioning Drive as NTFS Sometimes
-Errors Installing Windows XP Files
-BSOD During Widnows Installation
-BSOD After Windows Installation
-Spontanteous Reboot And "Click" Sound When Windows Is Finally Installed.
-Maxtor Diagnostic Tool PowerMax Cannot Detect Drive
-Maxtor Diagnostic Tool PowerMax Gives Errors Determining the Partition Status of the drive
-ScanDisk Found NO ERRORS On All Tests

I've tried everything i can think of and even if i get windows to install, it just reboots out of nowhere. Theres no BSOD, just the screen goes black and it posts.

Here's my Setup:
-AMD Athlon XP 2500+ *Brand New*
-Gigabyte GA-7VAXP Ultra KT400 *Brand New*
-Chaintek GeForce 4 Ti4600
-Corsair CMX-512C2 Memory (333mhz DDR, CAS 2, 512mb)
-Allied 400W Power Supply w/dual fans

I thought the problem was origionally the hard drive, it's a Maxtor 40gb 7200rpm drive thats about a year old. After many fustrating hours trying to get windows to work, i tried installing it on another drive i have, a Samsung 40gb 5400rpm i had sitting around. The installation went PERFECTLY with the other drive but i still get the spontaneous rebooting. I have no idea what to do! and updating windows doesent seem to do anything about the rebooting.

My guess is that the Maxtor drive IS broken, at least a little bit. I think the partition tables are permenantly screwed up since windows installation sometimes gives errors when trying to partition and format. However, since it still does the
rebooting with the other drive, i'm thinking theres more to this than i can figure out.

please help

Update:

Got errors partitioning my samsung drive for windows installation, after windows
started rebooting again. WAnted to try a fresh install again.

I think my windows XP CD might be messed up... Thats unlikely however.

Still stumped on the problem.... :(

Try backing the memory off from CAS2 to CAS2.5 or 3, and see if that makes a difference, and ensure the CPU isn't getting too hot.

It sounds very much like a problem I had with an MSI KT4 Ultra, which I blame almost certainly on the KT400 Chipset, whereby I had problems partitioning hard drives reliably, and when I eventually got windows installed, ended up with spontaneous reboots.

https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4434&highlight=MSI+KT4

Have a look here http://forums.viaarena.com/searchre...,32,6,21,30,13,3&FTVAR_AUTHORFRM=&STARTPAGE=1 and see if anyone else has had similar problems.

i cant change the memory settings in my bios for some reason, thank gigabyte for that.

i can only change the FSB, and the only options i get atr between 166-250.... so i dont have much choice...

thanks for posting i was hoping that someone else had my same problem.

i believe the problems rebooting was due to a bad temp sensor on the motherboard.

i turned off the auto-shut-off-when-overheating feature and it stoppped rebooting

sounds to me like the temp sesnor was sounding off false alarms.

ok i've figured out all my problems, i'll post the solutions here in case someone else needs them someday.

A) the problems partitioning where due to a flakey KT400 chip. Someone posted on another board that they had the same problems partitioning. My hard drive is fine, since all of my hard drives where having problems partitioning.

B) the spontaneous rebooting was due to the fact that I had an auto-shutdown feature turned on for the SYSTEM FAN. there is NO fan plugged into that power lead on the motherboard so it always read 0 RPM, causing the computer to panic and reboot. It may also be due to a twitchey temp sensor on the processor that gives false readings from time to time. In bios it read the temp perfectly. I have turned off the auto-shut-off feature for the CPU temp and the rebooting stopped. it may still be due to the system fan thing, i havent tried turning it back on yet.

C) my problems installing my promise card drivers where just bad drivers, i could not get the correct drivers off of the gigabyte website, but i found a zip file containing more up-to-date drivers on my mobo CD, they where sorta hidden somewhere and i did not see them at first. these drivers fixed that problem.

my computer wont boot now, windows\system32\config\system file is corrupt, i'm reinstalling windows now to9 fix that.

Everything seems to be running alright now. thanks for all those who helped me with this problem.

Thank you for your helpful information, sorry we couldn't offer any help though.

:wave: :wave: Welcome to TechSpot :wave: :wave:

Hope you stick around and share your knowledge on other subjects with the rest of us.

More Spontaneous Re-booting in XP

Hi...just let me waffle for a moment...........
At present, I''m using an MSI-6378 Mobo, with an Athlon 1.1 CPU, and the dreaded XP-Pro. I currently suspect the USB Broadband Modem, because I've changed everything in my PC except that and XP (I have tried re-installing it on another Drive) By everything, I mean I've bought a new mobo, new PSU, new CPU
and have tried different Hard Drives. The PC seems to re-boot whenever I'm already on-line, and not when I'm doing anything in particular!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
On one occasion I think it re-booted when I wasn't on line, but maybe my memory deceives me!
I'll try disconnecting the modem for a day or two and see if it still re-boots, and I'll probably connect the modem to another PC and see if that one re-boots.
At this rate I'll end up using Windows 2000 Pro again, as it's the only Windows version that NEVER let me down...end of waffle.............

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back