Power Supply - Motherboard problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am working with a friends Emachine T2042 2ghz Celeron. She told me that the machine wouldn't turn on - no lights, POST, etc. I replaced the PSU and am having some problems. Once I connect everything, only the PSU fan and the fan cooling the CPU are operative. No HD lights, POST, etc.

I've checked the 20 pin connection to the MOBO. It seems to be seated correctly. Any other ideas?

KEith

Hate to sound brash, but you're yet another person with a bad emachine. The bad news is emachines are notorious for horrible quality computers. This problem is posted ALL the time. The components and construction in emachines are of the cheapest quality. Their PSUs often blow out - often taking the motherboard along with it. If the computer is still under warranty, send it in. If not, test the PSU. You might be able to replace the PSU - however don't be surprised if the motherboard is also fried. If not- you're lucky. If it is toast , you might be able to salvage components and/or data by building another computer yourself.
You can buy a PSU tester for $12 at circuit city.

To all others: AVOID emachines period!

Thanx Tedster....

What's the quickest way to determine if the motherboard is fried? Obviously, it's not working at this point - no POST, no nothing?

Are any of the little "knobs" (dont know what to call em) on the motherboard blown?

Regards,

Korrupt

korrupt said:
Are any of the little "knobs" (dont know what to call em) on the motherboard blown?

Regards,

Korrupt

I believe you mean capacitors.

Also look for any burns on components (chips,resistors,diodes,etc), connectors,or PCBs(printed circuit boards)

Well like tedster said there junk low budget machines not made to last....

We get a problem about once a week, if not more about a fauilty eMachine.

I would say check all the IC's like you did, clear cmos, reset the ram, and check all connections.

Sry there

Stumped

I don't see any type of burn marks or bulging capacitors. My memory is seated correctly, all the connections have been checked.

Am I missing something obvious?

Keith

Thats the same thing as my Emachines T2642 the motherboard went out as well but there nothing to really prove it there no burn/black melting marks or bluging capacios, it looks just fine.

Also was there any signs it was going out? First the ethernet didnt work second no sound. Third the system didnt tun on.

It just wouldn't turn on. The light would flicker, the fan came on for a tenth of a second, then nothing. I at least get the Pentium cooling fan to kick over after I replaced the power supply, but nothing else.

sorry to bump the post but im having the same problbem from an old emachine that broke down
its a ffireds, i boot it up and only cpu and system fan spins up

cpu gets a little warm but no display on monitor and no numberlock capslock on keyboard light

tryed a stand alone vid card (vudo 2) because it has ingrated

but stil lthe same result

i pulled the battery and ill try in about 2 hours to seee if it boots

if it doesnt start i have a 450 wat coolermaster

would it be ok to test it with that or do i need a special emachine psu

You can test with that but it sounds like your motherboard is fried. Emachines are non-propriatary so any ATX PSU will work.

eMachines T2698 will power up but no video signal

Hey, I was looking at a Emachines Model T2698 that was booting up but I would get no signal / powersave mode. I cleared the CMOS, removed the m/b battery, tried a different PS, installed a new AGP vid card, changed RAM, and threw the kitchen sink at it and it still gives me no signal. The keyboard lights flash rapidily. Does this mean the m/b is bad?

Rockmiester said:
Hey, I was looking at a Emachines Model T2698 that was booting up but I would get no signal / powersave mode. I cleared the CMOS, removed the m/b battery, tried a different PS, installed a new AGP vid card, changed RAM, and threw the kitchen sink at it and it still gives me no signal. The keyboard lights flash rapidily. Does this mean the m/b is bad?

Yes... From now on when I receive an Emachines computer that is dead the first thing I replace will be the motherboard. Any other manufacturers board would be better than what Emachines uses

Replacement MB

Can anyone recommend reasonably priced motherboard replacement that would fit in the emachine 2042 and accept the Celeron chip.

Keith

Hi Keith,
this is a micro-ATX motherboard with a VIA 845GL Chipset made by Imperial

http://parts.emachines.com/emachines/moreinfo.asp?product_id=68915

Here's one good choice. Notice the price differences between the Emachines and MSI boards.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813130519

The CPU and memory should work on this board. You could upgrade your PC2100 memory to PC400. I don't know if your Emachines restore disc will work. I just trash the Emachines discs and install a generic XP OS

emachines are absolute crap and very cheaply made computers. AVOID at all costs. There are TONs of postings on this site about emachine problems.

Tedster said:
emachines are absolute crap and very cheaply made computers. AVOID at all costs. There are TONs of postings on this site about emachine problems.

Yes tedster,
if I get one in for repair, I install a $30 power supply and a Micro-ATX motherboard compatible with the CPU and memory... Usually under $50. I wipe the hard drive clean and install XP whatever version. A crappy Emachines brought me to this site. The Emachines owners I have worked with, are pretty happy with their MSI and Foxconn based systems now... These upgrades were no big deal to perform... No biggie :) The Emachines Micro ATX tower cases are kinda cute too

Emachine War

I have a total of 3 Emachines with the same problem no power what so ever. The third one was running without any problem after I replaced the memory. The very next day it doesn't have any power but there is a green light on the mother board. What does this mean?

DJ_Shorty,
you should consider replacing both the motherboards and power supplies on all he eMachines you work on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back