Both DVD & CD burners suddenly not burning

Status
Not open for further replies.

billyellis

Hi there,

I recently went through a trojan removal with the help of this board, but I am still a newbie, so please forgive me if I commit any TS faux-pas...

Yesterday my DVD burner locked up at 22% of the project completed (green LED indicating reading of the disc solid on). I was using Disc Copier (Roxio) from another DVD I had burned previously, so I tried again, this time actually copying the files to the HD first and then using Easy Creator and it froze again at 22%.

Today I tried to burn a music CD on the CD-RW drive (my DVD drive stopped recognizing blank CDs a while ago), and that is also giving me error messages:

E8004139a: IDispatch error #4506
E80070057: The parameter is incorrect

This is happening before it even begins to burn. The disc is ejected and still shows up as a blank CD if I try again later.

Both drives have always worked fine. Lately I had the trojan and virus issues mentioned above, but both drives were working after that hassle. I am now running Ewido (including the Shield), as well as Ad-aware's Ad-watch in the background, though, so perhaps updates to those programs since could be involved?.

Other changes that are probably unrelated (but maybe not) are in Firefox, which is the most recent update (1.5.0.7). A few days ago Firefox stopped recognizing any of my customizations, and every time I reopen or open a new window it is in default layout/window size/etc. I can't remember if I have burned any DVDs since I installed that FF update a few days ago...

Has anyone heard of any interaction issues with the programs I mentioned? I have searched for burner issues here a little, but there are a million and each are different, although I did try one of the solutions suggested to one of the posters (e.g. setting the IMAPI service to Automatic) whose problem sounded similar. But that post was over 2 years old, so I was not surprised when that suggestion did not work for me.

Help!

Edit: FF also will not Bookmark pages unless I select a different folder destination than the default either

I haven't seen this before, but I found something that might be related.
Gateway Support Site said:
http://support.gateway.com/s/issues/151332010.shtml
"IDISPATCH" or "The parameter is incorrect" Error Message When Making a Music CD With Roxio EasyCD Creator

Affected Products: Notebooks, Profile™ Series, Desktops, Destination® PCs, Software
Affected Operating Systems: Not OS Dependent

ISSUE: When recording a music CD using MP3 files, you may receive an "Idispatch" error message followed by a number sign and a number: Idispatch #4503, and an additional error that states, "The parameter is incorrect." This may occur when performing a Test Only, Test and Record CD, or Record CD. The MP3 files may be downloaded files or files created on your own computer using a different program. After the error message is received, the CD being recorded to is ejected from the drive and the test or record process ends.

RESOLUTION: The MP3 file or files being used to make the music CD are corrupted, have a bit rate that is too low for CD creation, or the file is of poor quality. If the file was downloaded, re-download the file. Make sure that the bit rate of the MP3 file is at least 64 kilobits per second (Kbps). If the file was created on the computer with another program, re-create the file as it may be corrupted or the bit rate set too low. Bit rate refers to a measure of the quality of the audio file. CD Quality is 64 Kbps.

Thanks for the post Rick.

Unfortunately, even after converting all files to 192kbps or higher, I get the same error...

But I am mostly worried about the DVD burner not working. My drive is pretty full, and if I can't take stuff off (or back up) as needed, I am going to have an awfully hard time working. :(

Bumping this post since I posted late Friday and may not have been to visible to everyone by Monday...

Still looking for any advice here. I don't know what happens when a drive goes out, but I assume that it doesn't work at all. In this case, it is burning to just under 1Gb and then freezing up in the DVD drive. I have been able to burn data to CD in the CD drive. Since the software seemed to be able to handel that much, I tried burning one CD's worth of data (~700Mb) on DVD as a session, then burning another as another session. The first burn went OK, but the 2nd then froze up the same way. I don't really know anything about how burners work, but it almost sounds like it could be a memory/buffer issue to me. Anyone know more about how these drives work?

Thanks.

P.S. Any anyone with advice on why FF is refusing to remember my customizations would be a big help. That is really starting to irritate me...

Hmmmmm..

Dodgy lazer assembly on your dvd?

Try uninstalling and reinstalling drives?

Get rid of ff.. but i doubt this is the problem.

Give lens a clean.. sorry i couldent be more help.

Ps: sorry for the dupe rick.

fimbles said:
ISSUE: When recording a music CD using MP3 files, you may receive an "Idispatch" error message followed by a number sign and a number: Idispatch #4503, and an additional error that states, "The parameter is incorrect."

This is the exact same thing I posted word for word. Please read through the thread before responding.

To rule out your CD burner, I'd like you to try a free CD burning program. Download the shareware version of Nero from http://ww2.nero.com/nero7/enu/nero7-demo.php and give it a whirl.

If you don't care for the huge download, you can try another freeware burning program like http://www.cdburnerxp.se/

If it works, then we can blame your Roxio software. If it doesn't work, then we know we should be looking at your Windows system or drive.

Thanks Rick.

I will download Nero and try it out when I have a good chunk of time tomorrow. I have been using the CD drive to burn data (and music once I converted the mp3's into enough different formats that whatever error was embedded in there disappeared).

So the problem is only with the DVD drive and burning at this point. I assume that Nero does DVD burning as well as CD burning? I will check it out...

billyellis said:
Thanks Rick.

I will download Nero and try it out when I have a good chunk of time tomorrow. I have been using the CD drive to burn data (and music once I converted the mp3's into enough different formats that whatever error was embedded in there disappeared).

So the problem is only with the DVD drive and burning at this point. I assume that Nero does DVD burning as well as CD burning? I will check it out...

Yes, it does. CDBurnerXP also supports DVD formats as well. :) But neither copy protected DVDs.

OK, I installed Nero and I am still getting errors. I tried burning with default settings, then with everything reduced to the slowest speeds, etc. I saved the log of the last attempt and attached it to this post. It is gibberish to me, but it is much more descriptive than any error messages I have ever gotten from Roxio software...

2 things that were different using Nero:

a. The drive pops in and out without any prompting from time to time. I have never used Nero before, so I don't know if that is normal? I am using DVD+R media, by the way. I have used this media successfully before, but maybe Nero doesn't like it?

b. It doesn't seem to be writing much to the drive before failing, whereas Roxio at least was burning almost 1Gb before crapping out.

According to your log, your DVD burner is not running DMA mode - this is definitely a problem and generally a software issue. Keep in mind this may not be the problem, but it needs to be fixed regardless.

For IDE burners, there are two modes: DMA (good) and PIO (bad). PIO is incredibly slow and brings your computer to a crawl, which in turn is responsible for many other problems including buffer underruns and wasted CDs. DMA is newer, faster and always supported with modern drives.

First thing you should do is enable DMA. If you can't, then we need to figure out why you cannot. If you still have problems afterward, then you can try a firmware update. Your drive appears to be a BTC dual-format burner, which should be updated using this utility: http://www.drvupdate.com/. Even if the problem goes away, its a good idea to update your firmware as it fixes bugs, improve performance & reliability etc...

A nice guide with photos - How to Enable DMA:
http://www.onthegosoft.com/dma_setting_nt.htm

Directly from Microsoft:
Microsoft said:
To enable DMA mode using the Device Manager

1. Open Device Manager.

2. Double-click IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers to display the list of controllers and channels.

3. Right-click the icon for the channel to which the device is connected, select Properties, and then click the Advanced Settings tab.

4. In the Current Transfer Mode drop-down box, select DMA if Available if the current setting is "PIO Only."
If the drop-down box already shows "DMA if Available" but the current transfer mode is PIO, then the user must toggle the settings.

That is:
- Change the selection from "DMA if available" to PIO only, and click OK.
- Then repeat the steps above to change the selection to DMA if Available.
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/IDE-DMA.mspx

Thanks Rick.

The DVD drive had indeed been switched to PIO (apparently Windows likes to do this on its own without asking after several data errors). Since switching it back, I have successfully burned several DVDs, so I think I am OK... knock on wood.

:grinthumb

Thanks for your help.

And for anyone else having this problem: if you follow the links above and then look around bit (I searched for PIO and DMA since I wanted to know what they were acronyms for), the next step to take if you keep getting reset to PIO or if you are not allowed to make the change (DMA option is greyed out), you can then try uninstalling the IDE controller in question and reboot. Supposedly Windows will then automatically re-recognize the "new" device and reset to DMA, or at least give you the option back to select DMA.

billyellis said:
The DVD drive had indeed been switched to PIO (apparently Windows likes to do this on its own without asking after several data errors).
Yes. This is very annoying, especially for laptop users with removable drives. :)

I'm glad to see you resolved it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back