Turn my computer off with a single command. can it be done?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I`m not sure from your thread title, whether you want me to delete this thread.

Please clarify.

Regards Howard :)

Edit: Thread title changed.

let me think about it...

Seriously, perhaps due to laziness, I'd prefer to be able to and expect modern technology to support the selfish preference to turn my computer off with a single command, instead of three.

Can it be done?

... It takes like 4 more seconds to click the mouse 2 more times. "modern technology" doesn't have that ability because the people who make it didn't think ANYONE could be as lazy as you.

I don`t know the answer to your question. However, you might want to take a look HERE. May I suggest you use proper thread titles from now on. Thanks.

There probably is a way to do so, but is useless, since all of the keys in the keyboard are filled up, with different key combinations as well so you would have to hit multiple keys, and that for you is impossible due to your laziness.

don't forget that I'm also selfish "metalx"

MetalX said:
... It takes like 4 more seconds to click the mouse 2 more times. "modern technology" doesn't have that ability because the people who make it didn't think ANYONE could be as lazy as you.

Thanks Howard!

No problem.

It`s quite cool really. I`ve now got 2 shortcuts on my desktop, which I`ve changed the icons to something more appropriate and put them on my quick launch toolbar. One click shutdown and restart and one click shutdown.

I`m quite glad you asked the question now lol.

Tmagic650 said:
What about just momentairly pushing the power button? This one push works for me
hehe.. i was gonna say the same thing...

Control Panel>Power Options>Advanced Tab>"When I press the Power button on my Computer:"> Shut down/hibernate/standby etc.
[Ok]

it can be done. but you have to write a vbscript to use wmi controls or appactivate to focus and sendkeys.

The easiest way to do it is with a keyboard that has a power button on it like mine does. I just press the button and walk away and my pc shuts down.

rik said:
The easiest way to do it is with a keyboard that has a power button on it like mine does. I just press the button and walk away and my pc shuts down.

That`s true mate, but if yoiu do it as in this link HERE, you can create several shortcuts for shutdown/restart/log off etc. Once the shortcuts are on the quick launch toolbar, it`s just one mouse click to shutdown/restart/logoff

I know it`s fairly trivial, but it`s pretty cool as well.

I just tried it and a dos prompt popped up for about a half second and the system shut down fine. Amazing what people will go through to save time (unless they lost the shut down button in start I mean).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back