XP Install & USB Keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

uneasyrider

OK here's the short version of my problem. Had a power surge take out the power supply & motherboard in an old machine. Replaced MB with...

Biostar M7VIG400 (Socket A Via KM266Pro chipset) (I know I know, I needed something cheap to get me by).
In-Win case w/ 350 watt power supply.

At the same time, I bought a new Microsoft USB wireless keyboard & mouse because my old PS/2 was shot. Also a new copy of Windows XP.

Everything came together fine... build went perfect & the PC booted up perfect.

Now here's the problem. The wireless USB Keyboard & mouse work to set up the BIOS. However whenever I put in the Windows CD to start a new installation, the CD Boot program will not recognize any input from the keyboard. It gets to the 'Press any key to Boot From CD' part... won't accept any input... and goes into trying to boot into my old Windows installation. If I can just get it into the installation program, I'm sure it will load the appropriate drivers.

So my question is this... is there any way I can bypass the 'Press any key to boot from CD' screen and have it go straight into the loading drivers part??

legacy USB keyboard option?

Hi there,

I have the same problem. I can't seem to find the legacy USB keyboard option in BIOS. What do I do?

Is there any way I to skip the 'Press any key to boot from CD' part?

My Logitech states

Use the PS2 converter for the transmitter.
Did you read the
Instructions and tips for yours ?
Also "I don't install the software".
Just use them as Windows PS2 devices.
Try this.

The keyboard has to support the USB-to-PS/2 adapter, they do not work with all keyboards.

Nodsu said:
The keyboard has to support the USB-to-PS/2 adapter, they do not work with all keyboards.
dead right! just for your reference this is also the case with some mice. noteably the logitech G5.

Just lucky i guess.
Mine came with adapters and recommended useing them.
Did you buy a boxed set ? An oem might require buying a converter for
the transmitter.Thats what needs supporting for cordless.
My new optical mouse MX Laser states (USB for Mac,PS2 for PC's.
I followed my included install book and have no problems as PS2 devices.
Note: I don't install the optinial software.Just use XP drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back