System Error 1003

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwyllie

My PC has developed an issue where about twice a day it will spontaneously reboot with an entry in the event log of "System Error" 1003. I know you will need more information and I will provide that (event viewer data, minidumps) when I'm back home and have access to my computer (I'm currently at work). I've done some searching on the boards and found a few things to try to fix. Being at work I don't have all the details or access to the minidumps and will supply them once I get home. But I did want to bring up and interesting aspect of this problem to maybe get people thinking about it. I get two different error codes. When the event occurs in the AM hours I get 1000050, in the PM hours I get 1000008e. I find this very odd. This just started happening a week ago and the system has been running fine for the month or so before that. It's a newly built system with new MB, mem, CPU. I added another 512MB of memory recently so that is my prime suspect at this point. I'll be either running a memtest on it or simply removing it to see if things improve.

If anyone has any ideas before I post additional information I'd love to hear them.

bushwhacker said:
[irrevelant information >.>]

Simply, reformat or reinstall the os.

Yeah, that's my last resort :) Got a thread going in the Security forum to see if this is malware related.

Thanks for yoru imput, though.

Sorry, it only this way, you know STupid M$ ^^

Any time, buddy. Pm me if you need further assistance. I will check Techspot Everyday from this forth.

minidumps would be good :)

When you're ready...

I added another 512MB of memory recently so that is my prime suspect at this point.
valid point.. run memtest and/or take out the extra stick and see if its stable.. vice versa with taking out your old ram and sticking that in..

does safe mode work ok?

Thanks for the responses so far. I just finished doing the stuff recommended in my security thread and got a clean bill of health. I will now observe to see if the problem mentioned here still persists (and it looks like it might as I've been monitoring my bandwidth usage from work and I see a drop off for a time period and then resumed, signs of a re-boot!). I'll search for a mem tester and this evening run the test. If nothing found I'll remove the new memory and let things run and see what happens. If problem still persists I'll post all the minidump files I have so far.

Thanks, Rick. I found one but I'll also try the one you suggested since it looks like it doesn't run under windows and the first one I found does.

:wave:

I was just reviewing the memory I purchased and here's what I see on the invoices:

Original: V-Data 512MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz Memory
New: Ultra 512MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz CL3 Memory

The MB, BTW, is a Mach Speed Viper MK8-939A Via Socket 939 ATX Motherboard / Audio / PCI Express / MGP / 10/100 Ethernet LAN / USB 2.0 / Serial ATA / RAID

The CPU is an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ ClawHammer Socket 939 CPU

I knew the brand of memory was different but I missed the CL3. Could that be the problem? The two memory sticks are incompatible?

Duh! Just read the Updating ram & troubleshooting thread and I'll bet mixing the mem is the problem! At least the new mem was only $20 after rebate. Maybe I can sell it on ebay. :eek:

Update: Problem not fixed!

Well that didn't fix the problem. This morning I got the dreaded System Error 1003 again. Attached are the Event Log entry and the minidump file. I realize that dumps from all the errors would be useful but they seem to have dissappeared (maybe disk cleanup deletes them? I know I didn't). So if any of you minidump gurus could take a look and see if you see anything I'd greatly appreciate it. The frustration of this is maddening!

I've updated my profile to give as much of a description as possible of my system.

Attachments

• Mini102506-01.dmp
    92 KB · Views: 5
  • System Error 1003 - 16.bmp
    91.2 KB · Views: 5
the separated memory still running fine? change your virtual memory to run entire os off your ram. maybe might solve the paging problem. Try changing it to set no virtual ram. (run both single and two stick of ram in two test without virtual paging file)

:confused: Not sure I understood your question. If you are asking if after taking out the new memory stick and going back to the original one are things working fine then the answer is no. The minidump in my prevuios post is from a crash using just the origianl memory.

Regarding your other suggestions, I understand you to suggest truning off paging and then run a memory test with the original stick and then one with both sticks. I can certainly try that and will look into that tonight when I get home.

BTW, I did a quick search on the forum and could not find anything and will continue looking, but if anyone can point me to a guide on how to read the minidump I'd appreciate it.

As always, I appreciate all suggestions and guidence.:)

The problem may be with pxfsf.sys (PreVx?). You can try uninstalling it to see if it resolves the problem.

PreVx removed. We'll see if that helps

Update:

Other things I'm trying.

1. Moved paging file to a different drive altogether.
2. Ran a memtest for 4 hours (not quite long engough, I know) with no errors.
3. Ran an extended disk diagnostic on an undused disk to insure no errors, cloned the O/S to that disk (the diagnostic askes to stop running all programs against the target disk which really isn't possible for the system disk), booted from the cloned disk and ran an extended diagnositc on the original system disk. It came up with no errors.
4. Performed a sfc /scannow and rebooted.

Since the reboot last night, at least through this morning (12 hour time period) I've not seen the spontanious reboot. Since I was getting one about every 12 hours or so I'm hoping if it runs through the weekend I'll have somehow fixed the problem.

Final update (I hope!)

I've not had a reccurance of the problem so one of the things I did must have fixed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back