If you own an Emachine, read this now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rik

To all Emachine owners!! Buy a new psu (power supply unit) and fit it in as soon as you possibly can!!!!

The standard psu's blow and take the mobo (motherboard) with them!!!!

Emachine's will charge you a small fortune for it!! Spending a little on a new psu could save you a lot of money in the long run!!!!

You have been warned!!!!

Have a look at what Tedster has to say about them here - https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic58076.html

Well, my emachine came with a good PSU, 15A On +12V Rail, and 300W, and lasted a year w/o cleaning. My sisters has lasted about 1.25 Years without cleaning, and my dads about 8 Month w/o cleaning. So its more of your requirements, you cant put an 8800GTS In a Emachine just because it has a PCI-e Slot.

I have the psu's from 2 dead emachines and one gives 18 volts on the 5 volt standby rail and the other is toast, both pc's had no added hardware at all!!!!

I've also seen several people here on TS having psu problems with their emachines!!!!

I've heard from someone that repairs pc's professionally that emachines account for almost %60 of his business!!!!

Thats not the same thing at all Hewybo!!!!

That person was suffering from a lack of power, not the psu blowing and taking the mobo with it, which is what my post is about!!!!

Emachines are sold more, therfore have generally more problems, if 1 in 200 pc's have a PSU Problem, and dell makes 400 pc's, 2 will have PSU problems generally, if emachines makes 800 pc's 4 will have PSU problems.

Sorry-

If you scroll down during that same "session," you'll find my comment about a friend's eMachine's Psu leaving, and taking the Mobo AND processor with it. That was the comment I was referring to.

I have since replaced another neighbor's OEM PSU from eMachines due to premature death. No other damage- but unreliable PSU's, nevertheless.:)

I agree that Emachines psu`s are inherently unreliable.

I also agree that prevention is probably better than cure.

I am therefore stickying this thread. Providing no other mods have any problems with it being a sticky, it`ll stay that way for the foreseeable future.

Regards Howard :)

I have two emachines.The psu blew out the mobo on one of them. I replaced the other psu and it is running fine. Take heed to this warning. Replace psu now if you want to extend its life. Thanks Kirk

E-machine Motherboard Gone Bad

Hey All Im New Here Glad To Join Up Whit You Guys And Gals.i Own A W 2060 Model Had It For 3 Years Before My Went Bad.i Own T399 Now For About A Year And A Half Have Had No Problems As Of Today.but Iam Going To Get Me A New Psu Tomorrow To Put Into It.was Wondering What Cause My Problemglad I Came Acroos This Sight.personally I Like Emachines All Of My Have Been Pretty Good To Me So Far.i Think 3 Years Is Pretty Darn Good Before It Blows.always Gotten Good Support Out Of Them Have Pretty Good Experince Working On Them.been Completly Thru All Of My So If I Can Help Out Anyone Feel Free To Post It Here And I Will Respond To It Might Be A Day Or Too

personla experience with e-mahcines

I own a computer repair shop and i must confess whn we get an e-mahine in most of the time the PSU has gone and taken the motherboard with it.

Saying that whenever PSU goes in any machine it can take out the mBoard

cheers james

It seems to happen with emachine more than any other brand tho!!!!

Have you ever investigated a blown emachine psu??

tell me bout just licked through our records and out of the last 6 e-machines in 4 had blown CPUS and taken the board out where as with others out of the last 14 only 2 had faulty PSU and taken the board out.

never taken an e-machine PSu apart but might be a good idea

cheers james

What's an Emachines?

IPEX computing said:
tell me bout just licked through our records and out of the last 6 e-machines in 4 had blown CPUS and taken the board out where as with others out of the last 14 only 2 had faulty PSU and taken the board out.

never taken an e-machine PSu apart but might be a good idea

cheers james
According to SIW (system information for Windows)available here at Techspot)), there is no such thing as an Emachines, just a collection of other manufacturers OEM parts. Well okay, maybe the name plate is Emachines.
I have 2 Emachines systems, a T-5026, 3.06 G Pentium 4 Prescott, with Intel GAG-515 Mobo. Except Gateway told Intel to leave out the PCI-E X16 socket. I suppose they wouldn't want anyone to be able to turn the computer into anything really good. The other is Celeron D 346, it has a MSI Mobo, with ATI 200 chipset. Anyway I agree that the OEM PS units suck After only a few months the one in the T-5026 smelled funny one day, then quit the next. Didn't do any damage, just wouldn't light. I'm a sucker for rebates though, and stuffed an Antec Smartpower 2.0 350 Watt which in was sitting in the dining room. The P4 rig seems to be living happily ever after.(Hope I didn't just jnx it). Got the Antec real cheap. I'm not allowed to say how much, am I?

emachine shut down

This is my first visit and my first post. I'm unfamiliar with this forum and can't find a place to start a new post, so here goes.

I have a W2646 emachine, that is 2yr 11mo. old.. All of a sudden it has started to shut down and turn off the CPU on its own. I never know how long it will stay on, it may last an hout or 10 hours. Who knows !! At that time, the optical mouse (red LED) light goes out and doesnt respont. The power setting in control panes is set to never shut off. It is not set to hibernate. I have to hold in the power button to get it to power all the way down, and then completely restart it. I talked to emachine tech support. There comment was, "sorry" your out of warranty. But suggested that I get a UPS. I assumed that he meant an external power supply.
Is there a UPS inside the machine that I can change out and solve my problem??

Can someone help me out as to how to fix this problem??

Thanks

gcottingame

Doing what i suggested in my first post may well fix your problem!!!!

Getting a UPS will make no difference!!!!

yea i would go ahead and install a new psu .that most likly will fif your problem unless it has done some damage to your motherboard

I had an emachine and they are junk lol...mine lasted about 1yr and a month..motherboard went without warning...emachine kept putting me off to get another board after 2 weeks of waiting on them to send one out i just had a new computer built and got rid of ALL emachine parts lol

Replace the MB of an E-Machines, or buy new ??

Hi,

After having the E-Machines T2085 for ~ 2.5 yrs, it has (of course) now decided to fuse the PSU and thus blow up the MB and obviously a new PSU did not help, so any advice on where I can get a new MB in the UK ?

I also understand that to use the recovery CD, I will need to obtain an exact copy of the MB and change out the BIOS chip, so that the recovery CD does not baulk at the new install ?

Any advice on someone who has already gone through this pain barrier would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Russell

The least expensive way to fix this is to buy a socket A mobo about $45.00 and use your cpu. You will need to purchase windows xp oem about $89.00. You stated you bought a new psu. I don't know if tigerdirect or newegg ships to UK. Ebay may be a good idea. I had the same thing happen to me and even though it blew the mobo the cpu still worked. Any help I can be let me know, kesler

Thanks, I guess that I should have chosen more wisely...maybe the next time :)
I've just bought my daughter a Dell, so perhaps I should use hers and give her the E-Machines PC :)

Yea, I'll search e-bay, but a little loath to do so, however, if this is the only option then I'll give it a go.

Cheers
Russell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back